X-Challenge - first d/s bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padawan

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Hi Everyone,

I have so far refrained from asking the what bike to get question...but the new bike itch is getting serious and I want one in the next couple of weeks.

I have narrowed my search down to 2 bikes - KTM 640 and BMW X-Challenge.  I really like the KTM 690 but to expensive at this stage.

Coming from enduro/dirt bike riding I am always leaning towards something that will be fun in the dirt but can do some tar/highway.

The intended riding: I will commute about 7km everyday to work. No highways just basically one busy road in Pta East (Atterbury). I am not really interested in the whole breakfast run / highway riding thing...but would like to be able to do it. The high speed on the highway thing is not my cup of tea - too dangerous for me.

I would like to initially just explore farm roads and the outlying plot areas, but the idea it to start getting on some weekend rides as soon as possible. I would prefer to stick to dirt as much as possible. I realise these 650s aren't dirt bikes, but I would like to compromise as little as possible in terms of having fun in the dirt - dirt highways seem a bit boring. 

The X-challenge was never really on the list, but after a lot of surfing on the net it sounds like it might work really well. It is light and can with some modifications be made into something that I can do weekend dirt trips on. (Thinking luggage rack & screen right away and maybe later bigger tank).

What are your opinions and do you think it will work for the riding I have described? I need the positive reinforcement  ;)