Final drive failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metaljockey

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
Yesterday morning Nardus and I wanted to pop over the pont into Transkei for a breakfast at Seagulls Hotel.

On the way there we were exploring some new tracks to try and avoid the new tarred road to Kei Mouth when suddenly I hit 'neutral' and some ugly sounds came from the bottom of the 640.

I got off the bike to see what's what to find that my chain snapped.

My first reaction was to say: #&$*&@^%#^.
Then I said: **&%#%@%$*&^$#
And then I said: 'This is why I ride shaft drive.'

I was'nt really going fast, a rock must just have stood up in the perfect way to break that link.

Lucky for me Nardus is the prepared type and he produced a masterlink that he had been carrying with him for two years. Equaly lucky for me it was the masterlink that snapped.

It still took a good half an hour to get the thing bashed back together with the help of some handy rocks.

The lesson I learned - carry spare linkages. Yes I know, it's not really a lesson, I should have carried it.

The lesson Nardus learnt - the link he had been carrying fits the 640. His 950 has a different size.

My question to those in the know; If the link breaks anywhere but on the masterlink, what tools can one carry to be able to break the chain where necessary?