Here we go again, KTM 525 dualsport build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
I have owned a 2005 KTM 525 EXC for about a week now. The work of building it into a DS bike will begin shortly, in the meantime I have had the oppertunity to ride it offroad for a couple of hours. My initial impressions :

- I started on a some technical terrain and it really was not much different than a DRZ 400. It is supposed to be a good few kg's lighter but I did not really notice this.
- It's still a big offroad bike as confirmed by riding a YZ 250 with WR conversion back to back.
- Suspension AWESOME ! The WP units handle almost anything without any problems, much better than anything I have ridden before.
- Power excellant, one of the reasons I fell for this bike. Pulls nice and linear with gobs full of torque, apparently their is a 540 kit for this bike ... why I do not know !

As it stands right now

Raw00002.jpg

Raw00004.jpg

Raw00010.jpg

It came with a couple of extras including Hyde skidplate, swingarm protectors, handguards, fork bleeders and T4 Pro Circuit pipe

Raw00007.jpg

Raw00005.jpg

Raw00006.jpg

Raw00003.jpg

Best aftermarket bit is the KTM fan kit, it has allready worked out on the trail and is a valuable addition to any would be DS bike

Raw00009.jpg

Problems :

- It came with a 19 inch rear wheel of a SX model. Good offroad but no road legal knobbies avaliable in that size  :-\

Raw00015.jpg

- The front shock seal has started to leak slightly

Raw00013.jpg

The wiring needs to be sorted, the previous owner decided to have a go and I have found some dodgy tape joints. The lights are not working currently and the on/ off switch is nowhere to be seen. Runner sells an aftermarket switch kit which I'm going to fit

Raw00014.jpg

controls1.jpg

Got hold of a wiring diagram, aha piece of cake  :deal: ???

Raw00016.jpg

More to follow ...