Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650, bash, crash, rack & oil protection  (Read 555 times)

Offline >>Thump°C

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
DR650, bash, crash, rack & oil protection
« on: May 27, 2010, 02:57:44 pm »
Hi

My son is riding an ex Inprogress, ex crossed up and I think ex Lecap 2002 DR650SE k3 (wotever that means)

Where can I get a bash plate?
Where can I get crash bars?
Where can I get better protection for the oil radiator? Does the crashbar protect this?
Where can I get a rear rack?

Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline jenks

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • just call me slim
Re: DR650, bash, crash, rack & oil protection
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 04:00:15 pm »
bashplate: lecap/blazes
oil cooler: most guys find the stock arm sufficient
handguards: I bought a nice set at Full Throttle
Case protectors (and lots of other lovely kit) can be had at procycle.us
rack: blazes/procycle

That's a nice early example of a dr  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:05:39 pm by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:56:44 am »
Hi

My son is riding an ex Inprogress, ex crossed up and I think ex Lecap 2002 DR650SE k3 (wotever that means)

Where can I get a bash plate?
Where can I get crash bars?
Where can I get better protection for the oil radiator? Does the crashbar protect this?

Nice bike.

Me thinks that used to be CA xxx15?
My old private bike. It's a 2000 model afaik making it a DR650SEY
Only the 2000 and 2001 models came with blue tanks and white plastics. From 2002 the blue tank bikes had blue plastics and also different stickers on the tank with a lightning bolt background and a large red Suzuki S instead of the yellow (2000) or white (2001) "DR" on the vortex background.

I bought it in April 2002 like new with a few hundred kms on the clock from Suzuki South and sold it in January 2006 to some guy who unfortunately did not keep it as nicely as I did. It's the bike in my avatar BTW, pic. taken while filling at Twyfelfontein Lodge in May 2002.

Bash plates and handlebar risers info in the vendors section:
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=36224.0

Few people bother about crash bars on a DR650SE. A well designed bash plate will give protection to the oil filter, alternator, footpeg brackets & levers, the tank is narrow enough not to suffer badly and the oil cooler is sufficiently protected by the OEM guard. Very few other things to break. Rather spend the money on a plastic tank ;D
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 09:29:23 am »
Yes, that's the one.  I bought it from the rather strange "guy who unfortunately did not keep it as nicely as" Lecap did.  Nonetheless I did a further 15 000 almost trouble-free kms on it before selling it to InProgress.  It was using a bit of oil but ran sweetly.  Enjoy it because it's a good bike that, treated kindly, should serve your son well.

Offline MildDog

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 09:51:11 am »
Crash bars: not necessary! IMHO... i dropped my bike ALOT and it was fine... they crash really well... good ploughing impliment.

The standard oil cooler guard was also just fine, I never worried about it or though I'd have problems with the oil cooler when I dropped the bike. Again, my opinion.

Racks: topbox sells really nice PMB racks but they are out of my price range.

Bash plate: le cap makes a really good bash plate! Also pricey, but worth it.

Hand guards: I went with polisport from craigs: they're about R500 and take about 20 minutes to put on. Though, once you take the handlebar weights off the vibrations are noticeably worse in your hands.

Enjoy the bike  :ricky: I know crossed-up still pines for his DR. Says me who sold his last week  ??? ???
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 10:01:32 am »

Blazes built me a rear luggage rack to my specifications (I tend to over-engineer ;D). Came out very nice and I dubbed it the "DR monster luggage rack" - have a look here -

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=33219.0   

As LeCap said, you do not need crashbrars on a DR a good bash plate will do very nicely.

Further suggestions would be to get some good hanguards. I loved my black Barkbusters - quality and looks good too. ChrisL or Runner.

Also consider side luggage racks. They also double up as protection for the bike. Groenie has experience in building both mine and Ganjorra's and we were very happy with the way it turned out. Do a search for the fred.

The DR is a great bike and with some mods it can become a great off-road tourer for the single-cylinder enthuisiast.

Cheers.

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 02:01:30 pm »

Blazes built me a rear luggage rack to my specifications (I tend to over-engineer ;D). Came out very nice and I dubbed it the "DR monster luggage rack" - have a look here -

Kykdaar. Wat gaan aan? Hoekom het jy jou dr verkoop?? Ek het gedog sy's die ander "love of your life" :)
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 06:38:52 pm »

Kykdaar. Wat gaan aan? Hoekom het jy jou dr verkoop?? Ek het gedog sy's die ander "love of your life" :)

Hy was :thumleft:

Het die 4x4 roete gegaan om naweke meer tyd saam met my laatjie te spandeer.

Ek kan darem nog GS's recover en Land Rovers uitsleep vir fun ;D

Veilig ry.