Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is the Super Ténéré really Super?  (Read 10257 times)

Online Half - Bac

Re: Is the Super Ténéré really Super?
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2010, 05:19:47 pm »
Thanks for the excellent write up.

Do you know anything about the service intervals and estimated cost?

Service interval is 10000km's - not sure of that cost though. Warranty is two years, unlimited mileage.
Half - Bac
Commercial Manager  - Yamaha Motorcycles
Yamaha Super Tenere World Crosser, Yamaha Tenere 700, Yamaha YZ 250 X, Yamaha YZ 250 FX, 4 x Yamaha BWS100's, Yamaha TZR 125, 2 x YZ 250 F's

Offline Vosperd

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2010, 07:39:37 pm »
Good write up mate

Will first have to ride one to compare with the GSA....................dunno though seems slightly underpowered at 82 Horsepower compared to the KTM 950/990 franchise with 100+ horses.

Methinks will stick with what i have!

Something wrong with your info here. S Ten has 80.9 KW @7250rpm - this equates to 110HP!! Somewhat stronger than the orange franchise methinks.

The 2009/10 KTM 990 Adventure (not R) has 87 kw. Not sure how many horses that equates to but more than the ST.  >:D
Then there is the power to weight ratio...  :pot:

No seriously, thanks MJ for a great report, looks like another capable product has entered this market and maybe KTM and BMW will sit up and take notice of that pricing...  :deal:
Back on the horse!

Offline Doggone

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Fairlands, Johannesburg
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2010, 08:15:18 pm »
I went for a ride on a Super Ten this afternoon courtesy of Linex in Randburg. Just a 20km stint on tar, no time for dirt.

Bike is amazingly nimble and I could not feel any noticeable difference in power or weight to my GS. Suspension slightly harder than the GS ,but that was probably more the setup than the bike in general.

I am rather short and found the bike to be slightly high, but I ride my GS with a lowered seat and I understand that Yamaha have a lower seat available. This should make it similar in height to my GS.

The power settings would be wasted on me as I would have it in "sport" all the time. Responds nicely .

Only things that need upgrade imho are the screen, way too little protection(even for a shortie like me) and it should come standard with upper crash bars. One drop on the radiator side and you will be walking home.

Overall a lovely machine and so similar to my GS in so many ways that it would probably not matter which one I like as I like both Brands. Good value for money and will make BMW sit up and take notice. >:D :biggrin:

PS. Obviously not targeted at the KTM market as it is too civilised.  ;)
"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the Courage to Continue that Counts"  Winston Churchill
Bike History: 1976 Yamaha Chappy-50cc; 1978 Yamaha RD50; 1979 Suzuki TS125; 1980 Suzuki GS 400; 27 years of bikelessness ; 2007 BMW R1200GS - 125 000 km's , 2017 BMW R1200GSA LC (Lowered)😁 WOW!

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2010, 09:19:22 pm »
Congratulations to the Wilddogs for choosing the right man for the job. Not because MJ gave the ST a favourable review, I knew that he would have to even before he left, but for the easy-read, informative feedback he gave us.
Simon Fourie, I know you are watching us, please let MJ do all your testing!?
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline Vosperd

• Race Dog
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2010, 09:30:38 pm »
Congratulations to the Wilddogs for choosing the right man for the job. Not because MJ gave the ST a favourable review, I knew that he would have to even before he left, but for the easy-read, informative feedback he gave us.
Simon Fourie, I know you are watching us, please let MJ do all your testing!?

doubt that very much, having read all his RR and general contributions can say that he will call it as it is!

If only there was a magazine that catered for DS, maybe THAT is what Simon should be looking at?!
Back on the horse!

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2010, 09:36:56 pm »
I am rather short and found the bike to be slightly high, but I ride my GS with a lowered seat and I understand that Yamaha have a lower seat available. This should make it similar in height to my GS.

You could change the seat yourself, if it was not in the lower position already. 1 minute job  :thumleft:

Only things that need upgrade imho are the screen, way too little protection(even for a shortie like me) and it should come standard with upper crash bars. One drop on the radiator side and you will be walking home.

The screen can be adjusted (manually with a screwdriver if I'm not mistaken), was it in the lower or upper position?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2010, 09:40:53 pm »
Vosperd, not saying that MJ would be biased, just that I grew up with motorcycles and knew that Yamaha would always get it right. Like I said on this forum some time ago, Yamaha would produce an ABS system to go through many more cycles per second than BMW's ABS, thus making the Yamaha
system work on gravel as well. And like I've said on this forum before;someday you'll own a Yamaha.
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline Vosperd

• Race Dog
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2010, 09:45:27 pm »
2 Stroke Dan, with you now... :thumleft:

Agreed on the yammies, the Japs sure know what they are doing (Land Cruisers case in point).. Owned a Yammie already (350 Banshee, still the king of the dunes, just a pity theu never upgraded that frame and suspension :'( )
Back on the horse!

Offline chicco

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Never give up.
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2010, 09:53:44 pm »
Good write up mate

Will first have to ride one to compare with the GSA....................dunno though seems slightly underpowered at 82 Horsepower compared to the KTM 950/990 franchise with 100+ horses.

Methinks will stick with what i have!

Something wrong with your info here. S Ten has 80.9 KW @7250rpm - this equates to 110HP!! Somewhat stronger than the orange franchise methinks.

The 2009/10 KTM 990 Adventure (not R) has 87 kw. Not sure how many horses that equates to but more than the ST.  >:D
Then there is the power to weight ratio...  :pot:

No seriously, thanks MJ for a great report, looks like another capable product has entered this market and maybe KTM and BMW will sit up and take notice of that pricing...  :deal:

2010 KTM 990 - 84KW - 122HP.

The tenere is faster than the KTM (but not on dirt  :peepwall:). The KTM is much faster out of the blocks and by the time the ST is on full speed the KTM already disappeared in the horison. :ricky:

not that speed maters, its all about position and repetition....

Jokes aside, The Yammie is great bike for a great price, the q is, do you prefer Oriental or European....
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2010, 09:58:40 pm »
A few observations here:
It has been said the radiator is vulnerable, one small 'off' and you'll be walking...IMO the radiator is set quite far back, close to the bike, it would take a substantial fall to cause damage, crashbars would reduce this risk substantially. The medic came short quite hard on the right side of his ST, no problem, hardly a scratch on the plastics, even in standard format there is a protector at the base of the plastics that does quite a good job.

Seat height, there was quite a short journo at my 2 day stint, the spacer was removed for him, he had no problem.

Screen height, my screen was at the higher position, I'm 193cm tall, it worked for me,the wind hit my helmet just above the peak, I took my wife for a ride as pillion, she was also happy with the wind protection. There is also a larger screen available, as well as those little 'flips' ala GSA.

ST horsepower compared to KTM horsepower...the ST was never designed to go up against the KTM, totally different power deliveries, shaft power losses against chain drive losses...etc etc.
Why go after a market share as small as the KTM 990?

Pricing...I certainly hope the other brands sit up and take notice, the ST is an absolute bargain at that price.....I think even with all the optional equipment fitted, and there is quite a lot, the ST will still come in under the price of a standard comparitive alternative brand.

If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline atkinse

• Race Dog
  • Stoetbul Mod 101
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2010, 09:58:52 pm »
2 Stroke Dan, with you now... :thumleft:

Agreed on the yammies, the Japs sure know what they are doing (Land Cruisers case in point).. Owned a Yammie already (350 Banshee, still the king of the dunes, just a pity theu never upgraded that frame and suspension :'( )

You should see the 2010 banshees sold here in the UAE, only place in the world they are still sold. Mods aplenty, saw one this weekend that puts out 125HP madness.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 10:02:03 pm by atkinse »
Work to live, Live to Ride

Offline GundaGunda

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2010, 05:35:39 am »
. . . . 
. . . . . 

Good point. and ouch - that hurt !!  ;D
Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.

Online edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2010, 07:21:53 am »
Exclusive boet - thats the correct term! :biggrin:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2010, 07:29:48 am »
. . . . 
. . . . . 

Good point. and ouch - that hurt !!  ;D

We all know the 1200GS is the biggest seller in the large DS segment, and as Edgy says, KTM is just more 'exclusive'. 8) ;D

If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Gavin mac

« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2010, 10:37:11 am »
I have spoken to a couple of the lucky few who were able to do the Swazi trip with Yamaha on the New ST1200 and all seem to be highly impressed. Great report!!!!

Now i have just unpacked another ST1200 and it is available @ R139000incl. Just give me a call and you to can be a proud owner of this new beast!

Gavin
Helderberg Yamaha
021 850 0080
083 399 5125

Offline African child

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Not all who wander are lost
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2010, 11:25:21 am »
Wats die naaste en maklikste bank om te roof daar by die Mall???? Dalk kan ek sommer daai ST as n getawaybike gebruik..... ::)
A nomad I will remain for life, in love with distant and uncharted places

Offline Lotta

• Pack Dog
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2010, 11:43:59 am »
Very nice - thats what i call a decent bike rapport. Well done. Everything i wondered about the Tenere was answered.

Offline Gryshond

• Race Dog
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2010, 12:14:56 pm »
MJ thanks for the report. I know it was approached from the off road angle and I know I am going to get it on this forum for asking this, but how is it on tar?
We have to accept that a large portion of GS owners do very little if any off road riding, so can you chase sportbikes down Longtom pass with it, like you can do with the GS?
How will it handle commuting to work and back (weight, manouverability, size etc.)

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2010, 12:41:56 pm »
I was laid back waiting for a mention from all the wise WDs. Some comparing it with a Bima, KTM even a suzuki got a mention :imaposer:. Well it is a ST  ;D.  What is important though is that all of you, one way or the other, said all I had said all along.

I need no further persuasion :ricky:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
  • Race Dog
  • If you ain't FIRST you LAST!
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2010, 12:45:45 pm »
Guys in the cape,there's one at Droomers yamaha only till friday,if you

wanna go have a look.
:thumleft:
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful !