Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is the Super Ténéré really Super?  (Read 10255 times)

morpheus

Re: Is the Super Ténéré really Super?
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 03:30:27 pm »
I mostly don't read mags because, well the guys that write for them, want to be invited to the next launch so you get this watered down slush where every bike is 'great'.

Thanks for something honest and very, very well written.

You obviously know your stuff and you did not bore with too much technical jargon to try and sound important. All in all a decent review and one that may even see you invited to another launch or two!!

M

Offline Varadero

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 03:34:47 pm »
MJ, awesome report  :thumleft:

Oppad

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 03:43:05 pm »
Thanks MJ, good stuff.

Offline Leo

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 03:52:43 pm »
MJ, when I spoke to Muzzy, I asked about the tool kit. He said he received none with his bike.

On your pic I see what looks like a puncture kit under the seat - maybe put there for the launch itself.

Was there any other standard tool kit that allows one to do basic maintenance?

Thanks for a nice review - and I agree with what you say after having ridden Muzzy's bike myself :thumleft:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline SeanW

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 03:57:28 pm »
Tool kit is behind the right hand side (sitting on the bike) tank shroud.
YZ250F WR (current)
KTM 950 Adventure (current)
WR250F
KTM 300 x 3
KTM 200 x 2  KDX 200 x 4 KX 250 conversion  KDX 250 X 3 KDX 175 Honda SS50V

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 03:58:06 pm »
what a bloody good review  :thumleft: without being limited by the space that a magazine holds you to, and attacking the bike from every angle, asking questions and trying things that most journo's wouldn't

10 out of 10 MJ  :ricky: :thumleft:

Is what makes forums so useful, we can interact and get real time info from all over and say even if it is shit. a Brilliant idea from Yamaha with this initiative to get one of the forum members to go to a launch, really show they value the customers view! Well done to them!  :thumleft:

So with only Yamaha still with a 660 and 1200 in the D/S market and they have the R1 and proper off road bikes, seems they are on strong walk to take market share. I am starting to think KTM is slowly backing off from D/S bikes as we hear nothing on a new 990 replacement and even less on a 690Adventure version. And then Honda, well, what can we say, a 750 weighing the same as 1200.  ;)

Few questions please  :deal:
What is the over all build quality compared to the GS, everybody knows BMW switch gear and parts gives it a solid feeling and it's quality plastics, the parts last forever, except FD's and some other shitty problems? Some KTM's 950's and 990's I have ridden with 20000km on the odo felt like old bikes with many k's on the odo.
The V-strom and Varadero both uses 22mm handlebars that feels really rubbish and bend easily when dropped, is it the same for the Ten?

How easy is it to remove the rear wheel?

Can the toolkit be used for most day to day maintenance jobs?

So if this is the GS eater, are they coming with a GSA version?

Bliksems nice report well done, and pictures. It sure is a good looking bike.   :)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:02:02 pm by michnus »

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 04:13:51 pm »
a Brilliant idea from Yamaha with this initiative to get one of the forum members to go to a launch, really show they value the customers view! Well done to them!  :thumleft:

Michnus - there was 'mos' a similar thing a couple of months ago with a recall or three on the 660Ten where Yamaha also had very positive interaction with the Wilddogs forum.

I have said it then and I will say it again - it really looks like Yamaha is trying to keep their fingers on the buying public's pulse and to that I can only say - well done.

It is good to know that a major player in the market isn't only interested in sales, but seemingly also in the well-being of the end user and standing by its product.

And if I am really honest I can't say that that (and the way that other *ahem* brands treat their clients) will not have some form of influence on my decision when it gets time to trade in the GS...
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Hentie @ Riders

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 04:21:04 pm »
Nice RR Mj  :thumleft:

Offline Metaljockey

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 04:25:10 pm »
MJ, when I spoke to Muzzy, I asked about the tool kit. He said he received none with his bike.

On your pic I see what looks like a puncture kit under the seat - maybe put there for the launch itself.

Thanks for a nice review - and I agree with what you say after having ridden Muzzy's bike myself :thumleft:

If you flip the seat over there is a torx key. This loosens four quick connectors on the right cowl. Behind that you will find the battery, fuses and a tool kit. The tool kit looks like this.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:39:39 pm by Metaljockey »

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 04:27:48 pm »

If you flip the seat over there is a torx key. This losens four quick connectors on the right cowl. Behind that you will find the battery, fuses and a tool kit. The tool kit looks like this.

Wow - an actual spark plug socket ?

;D ;D

Having said that - those tools looks exactly like the tools that came with my TTR Raid ;D ;D ;D
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Metaljockey

• Race Dog
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 04:34:55 pm »
Few questions please  :deal:
What is the over all build quality compared to the GS, everybody knows BMW switch gear and parts gives it a solid feeling and it's quality plastics, the parts last forever, except FD's and some other shitty problems? Some KTM's 950's and 990's I have ridden with 20000km on the odo felt like old bikes with many k's on the odo.

The quality is typical Yamaha. Not kak, but no one is going to write operas about the quality of the fittings.

While you mention the final drive, I forgot to add that the Super Ten has none of that final drive freeplay that is so annoying on the BM. It is solid and you are  not aware at all that it is not a chain.

The V-strom and Varadero both uses 22mm handlebars that feels really rubbish and bend easily when dropped, is it the same for the Ten?

Yes, it is a thin bar in a high rise configuration. It does not give the unbreakable feel of the GS, I'm not sure how strong it is.

How easy is it to remove the rear wheel?

As easy (or as difficult) as a chain bike, except, no chain to dirty your hands.

Can the toolkit be used for most day to day maintenance jobs?

Check above.

So if this is the GS eater, are they coming with a GSA version?

Not that I know of.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:40:42 pm by Metaljockey »

Offline Metaljockey

• Race Dog
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 04:37:26 pm »
It is good to know that a major player in the market isn't only interested in sales, but seemingly also in the well-being of the end user and standing by its product.

And if I am really honest I can't say that that (and the way that other *ahem* brands treat their clients) will not have some form of influence on my decision when it gets time to trade in the GS...

That be the truth right there.

Offline FJR

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 04:47:54 pm »
Baie goed gedoen MJ. Dankie.
Dit het baie van my vrae beantwoord.
Lyk my die FJR gaan een van die dae vervang word.

Offline Baches

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 04:49:37 pm »
Very informative review. If I had to choose I will still take the 1200 GS.
KTM 1290 Super Adventure R
KTM 500 EXC
KTM 690 Enduro R

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 05:09:25 pm »
Well written, objective review MJ!  :thumleft:
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Lootch67

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 05:09:54 pm »
By far the best review of the bike I've yet read. Thanks MJ!
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline Kawasefi

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 05:11:03 pm »
I like te Super Ten! If I could afford it I would keep my old KLR for the rough stuff and get a Superten for everything else!

Thanks MJ, very good review  ;)

Offline tok-tokkie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 05:31:22 pm »
Thanks MJ.  Not my market but I appreciate an objective assessment.

I am a Mech Eng.  That is a 1200 parallel twin.  It has 270° crank.  You say nothing about vibrations.  The 180° boxer motor is inherently brilliantly balanced.  Technically a 270° degree parallel twin is much better balanced than a normal 360° one.

What was the balance like?

Twin engine balance: http://www.xs650.org.au/smoothness.htm

Offline Brakenjan

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 05:38:37 pm »

Great write up MJ!!  :thumleft: May the other makes follow in Yamaha's footsteps and invite a WD to launches - I just found your write up more believable than I would find any magazine write up, notwithstanding your similar glowing report.

Just one question, what would your farkles be to get the bike Metaljockey-ready?

GreenMamba1974

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 05:41:06 pm »
thanks mj,

although i chose a strom and claim to not be brand aware, i have in my past life been a yammie fanboy (rubber ducking days).  

nice bike and great review.    :thumleft:

i would prefer if the tenere 660 has a twin cyl engine, maybe one day.