Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is the Super Ténéré really Super?  (Read 10259 times)

Offline Iron Shark

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Is the Super Ténéré really Super?
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2010, 12:04:13 am »
Nice write up thanks!  :thumleft:
Kawasaki KH 175 - sold
Kawasaki KLR 650 - sold
Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - sold
BMW 1200 GS - sold
BMW 1200 GSA - loving it

Offline Tweets

• Shop Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Centurion
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2010, 12:41:18 pm »
Thanks MJ. Fantastic to hear, so to say from the "horses mouth". :thumleft: No bullshit and ummming and Aaaahhhhing , just the plain truth as you perscieve it. Now we'll see /hear how it behaves after the dust of launching etc has settled. I 'm sure this ABS issue is going to go full circle until Yammi fit an switch. I for one would not like to have that feature ON , on the dirt. I've had a few scares with my own bikes, having "forgot" to switch the function off. I agree 100% with you about a DS bike , with ABS that MUST be able to be switched OFF.
Once again, thanks for a great report. (Expect more such invites now!!)
Then! A BIG thanks to Yamaha SA, for inviting a dog to the launch. Well considered!
Lastly, to who ever decided "who to send" from this "pack of dogs". A great choice to send MJ
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:45:32 pm by Tweetie »
Borrow money from pessimists - they dont expect it back
Current bikes : 1200GS, 800GS, 400XT

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2010, 12:52:04 pm »
OK, I'm now back, had the ST since Wednesday morning, loved it. :thumleft: 8)
One point I would like to address at this point in time, I see lots of you wanting the ABS to have an 'off' switch, I tried this system out on some dirt roads at the Limpopo Bash, the system is very good as is, if you whack the rear brake first, (doing this disables the linked braking) and then grab a handfull of front, the bike JUST STOPS....it is incredible. Yes, the brake levers pulse, but not violently, you cannot lock the rear wheel at all, but it almost locks, and being able to grab a big handfull of front without worrying about it locking is quite comforting. I tried a few 'emergency stops', not once did I feel the system was letting me down and causing an overrun, I am very familiar with the GS system, and I can honestly say this ST system is way better on dirt. On tar they are pretty similar, but I have always felt the GS ABS needs to be swithed off for dirt use, not so on the ST. My KTM is the same, it should be switched off on dirt, but I found the ST system VERY effective on dirt, as long as you use it correctly.

I too wanted an 'ABS OFF' switch, said so at the launch as well, but having played around with the system in my own time, I now see the system in a different light.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 01:35:29 pm by Adventurer »
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Footloose

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2010, 12:54:08 pm »
Thanks for the excellent write up.

Do you know anything about the service intervals and estimated cost?

Life is not a problem to be solved, but an adventure to be lived

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2010, 02:50:47 pm »
That was brilliant - thanks! :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline bronzy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • the older i get the faster i was !!!
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2010, 05:04:55 pm »
Good report tx

Oppad

« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2010, 06:50:31 pm »
MJ and others who have been on the ST, once again thanks for the thorough and objective reviews. Now for something subjective, if you don't mind: Does it have soul? Does it give you a lekker feeling, the grin factor?

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2010, 06:56:02 pm »
MJ and others who have been on the ST, once again thanks for the thorough and objective reviews. Now for something subjective, if you don't mind: Does it have soul? Does it give you a lekker feeling, the grin factor?

Howzit Sot, wished I had thought of that question... soooo relevant thats why we ride what we ride...whatever it is, why some of us could never ride a TA despite how good they were  O0
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2010, 07:55:55 pm »

Hmm, good question.

I'm going to declare my subjectivity here and say that few other bikes have the "soul" of a Boxer twin. Especially one that goes "clunck" each time you change gears.

Japanese bikes (just like their cars) are reliable and effective to the point of being boring. But then again, I prefer Toyotas to Land Rovers, so the romanticism attached to idiosincracy has its limits. And in all fairness, bear in mind that the new GSs are also very smooth and clinical.

I guess that's why I'm in a devoted relationship with my deeply flawed HP2. It has a kak-hard saddle, vibrates like crazy and has little wind protection. But it stirs me like the ST never can.

The ST personifies the Japanese approach of analysis, development and improvement.

My favourite columnist AA Gill once wrote that if aliens were to come to earth and disguise themselves to look like humans to live amongst us, they'd be indistinguishable from the Japanese...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 07:56:58 pm by Jacko »
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline plonker

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2010, 11:17:13 am »
The soul thing is a tough one because some people also don't look for that.Two different folk will ride the ST one will love it and the other will say awesome bike but won't buy it.Some guys think a 990 has soul and the next bloke beleives the boxer does it for him.Thank heavans we are all different. ;D

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2010, 11:20:34 am »
Big up to Yammi for taking the "risk" of inviting a no-nonsense rider with no way of controlling the outcome (report).  Shows confidence in their product!

MJ, thanks for the informative, objective report.  If I (or anyone else) would consider buying an ST, your report would at the very least reassure that this is no lemon, that it is a bike seriously considering and that dissappointment is unlikely.  Obviously personal preferences will impact on the final decision (as Jacko mentioned a few posts ago), but it seems that the new ST is a very good bike and good value for money.  That knowledge is worth something to a prospective buyer (not all of whom may be able to "test" the bike properly before buying).  So you deserve a medal for "Distinguished Service" to the pack.  From now on you may add "DSO" to the "SOB"!  :biggrin:

Offline TerrorSA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Autoland PE - William Moffett Exp
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2010, 11:36:20 am »
Metaljockey, thanks for a very good report on the Super Tenere.
Truimph Tiger 800 XCX
Yamaha XT660R

Offline Jules

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • Living with "LevenNinetyItis" and Loving it
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2010, 12:12:01 pm »
Great Stuff MJ!  :thumleft:

Now how do I convince my Bank Manager that a Super Tenere is a vital part of my current business strategy.

The 1200 will look great parked next to my 660!

Jules
690R Lost but not forgotten
1190R

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2010, 01:21:53 pm »
Nice one MJ, would like to have a close look at one, but must say I dont feel My loins stirring. :thumleft:
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2010, 01:33:56 pm »
Nice one MJ, would like to have a close look at one, but must say I dont feel My loins stirring. :thumleft:

If this bike doesn't stir your loins blame it on age...... :biggrin: :biggrin:

It is a VERY LEKKER bike. It will do anything your GS does and then some,especially on dirt,  dunno about bling equipent though.... :peepwall: :biggrin:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Orangeswifty

• Please proceed to suck my
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Ousted Rebel Alpha Male
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2010, 02:08:48 pm »
Good write up mate

Will first have to ride one to compare with the GSA....................dunno though seems slightly underpowered at 82 Horsepower compared to the KTM 950/990 franchise with 100+ horses.

Methinks will stick with what i have!
We are blessed to share the biking fraternity together!
Do it now - tomorrow you are dead!
Real friends value loyalty regardless!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2010, 02:10:46 pm »
I was also fortunate enough to keep the ST a bit longer, I was able to do long boring highways, slippery mud and a short section in the rain, the more I rode this bike the more it impressed, I just had to return it today otherwise Yamaha will NEVER get it back...
Two aspects that really impressed me was the traction control and the ABS, and I'm not one for electronic gadgetry, the traction control is extremely subtle, no sudden intervention, the TC light on the dash goes crazy, letting you know it's there and operating, TC1 is for normal road use and very handy in the rain, TC2 I found suited me best for offroad use, powerslides were a cinch, the TC catches you before you get out of hand, a nice safety net, it also allows you to do 'spirited' riding, I found TC2 worked best in thick mud, it allowed forward progress without wheelspin, which would just bog you down.
The ABS cannot be knocked unless you've tried it, I too was very sceptical, trust me, it really works on dirt.
I returned the bike through heavy rush hour traffic this morning, it is extremely easy to filter through at low speeds, I ALMOST missed the turnoff, almost just carried on to Cape Town... 8)
Yamaha has once again released a fantastic bike straight out the crate, as they did with it's sibling 660.

Offline Buff

« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2010, 03:00:01 pm »
Awesome report, well done MJ !!! Based on what you wrote I might just be upgrading to Big Brother.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Half - Bac

« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2010, 04:48:36 pm »
Good write up mate

Will first have to ride one to compare with the GSA....................dunno though seems slightly underpowered at 82 Horsepower compared to the KTM 950/990 franchise with 100+ horses.

Methinks will stick with what i have!

Something wrong with your info here. S Ten has 80.9 KW @7250rpm - this equates to 110HP!! Somewhat stronger than the orange franchise methinks.
Half - Bac
Commercial Manager  - Yamaha Motorcycles
Yamaha Super Tenere World Crosser, Yamaha Tenere 700, Yamaha YZ 250 X, Yamaha YZ 250 FX, 4 x Yamaha BWS100's, Yamaha TZR 125, 2 x YZ 250 F's

Offline GundaGunda

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2010, 05:01:44 pm »
Thanks MJ, Great report.

I went to the launch here in Durbs, but just got to sit on one on the showroom floor.

I think it's a great bike, but not for my needs, and I am pleased that I did not wait and jumped straight into the Baby-Ten.

Quite simply, I just don't need that much bike - It would be too much for what I do - Canals and railway roads, and back roads through the Valley of 1000 hills on Sundays - with the odd bash or bosberaad thrown in.

But for the blingophiles and distance guys with broad-based -err- companions on the pillion, this is the one !
Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.