RR - Wild West workout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnus

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So today was my first outing to Wild West close to Harties.  When Pieter invited me I had to think twice, because I cannot think of a single time when he invited me along for an easy ride!  But it has been a while since I've been on the 450, so I reluctantly accepted :)

Shortly after arriving at Wild West (they have a nice new road to the parking area, I understand), Boertjie, the sherrif of Wild West, stormed out of the bushes on his bike and promptly made us feel welcome.  He did two quick loops just to check it out before the rest of us gave it a bash.

Pieter, Boertjie & Colin - getting ready to go
IMG_3206.jpg

Boertjie decided to go with and show us the new technical section that has been added.  I can't give feedback on that because I stuck to the "normal" route :)

Starting off with the track you are presented with a lekker downhill section to the riverbed which requires some technical negotiation of rock banks, narrow tree sections and some muddy riverbed.  I'm glad the river was not in flood.  I also did not expect the start of this track to be so technical so quickly :)  I only had once incident which caused my handguard to jam the throttle, but that was sorted out quickly once we were out of the river section. 

A part of the river section
IMG_3211.jpg

One of the more rocky obstacles where picking the right line makes it easier.
IMG_3208.jpg

Boertjie took Pieter and Colin up the new technical section while I took the scenic route.  At some point I saw another technical route branching off the "normal" route, which I promptly and blissfully ignored.  I figured there was enough time to work in a smoke break near the Windpomp.

IMG_3207.jpg

Back at the parking area I was seriously considering doing a lap at the Boerie & Beer section, but Colin & Pieter persuaded me to work in another "easy", "slow on the pegs" lap.  Ok, sounds reasonable :)  I was in front and knowing what to expect, I was taking it a little faster this time around.  I stopped at the second technical section turn-off and Colin twisted my rubber arm to go up there.  Initially it didn't look too bad, but lack of foresight is a b1tch!

Soon this section evolved into a scene out of a low budget horror movie.  To put things into perspective - I like to ride within my limits and I ride to enjoy it.  This section was seriously questioning both :)

IMG_3213.jpg

After Colin wrestled his WR2504T up on the right hand side, Pieter decided to take the left line, only to be wedged in between the rocks.  I was halfway up and had to make some space for some other, much more talented riders to come roaring past on their way up.  Eventually I also made it up after some huffing and puffing and trottle & clutch and some kind words of encouragement from my buds.

All of this, only to realize that there was another section... Man!  This time Colin's Rekluse clutch made it a bit difficult - if the bike stalls, it only goes one way... backwards!  In addition to this predisposition, he also took the difficult line on the left.

IMG_3214.jpg

He eventually had to turn around and ride back down a bit before taking the right line up.

IMG_3219.jpg

Up on top, we were glad...

IMG_3221.jpg

And a bit thirsty...

IMG_3222.jpg

And a bit tired...

IMG_3223.jpg

Going down on the other side of the hill was a bit easier, but technical none the less.  Some interesting step downs on an off camber track with an imposing slope on the one side.  Little room for error.  I didn't take any pictures going down, sorry - my hands were full of brakes & clutches & throttles :)

The one good thing about a techncial section is that it makes the rest of the track very easy!  But the best part of it is when you can look back and say "I did it!" 

We made it back to the parking lot at speed for a well deserved boerie & beer.

Thanks Pieter for dragging me along

IMG_3209.jpg

And thanks Colin for dragging me up that hill!

IMG_3210.jpg

And yes... I'll be back again!