Short Wes-Transvaal Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krister

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
So today was my first ride with another dog - HVDM...  EDIT:  About 450 km for me (a bit more for HVDM).

We met at around 8 at the Sasol on the N14 crossing.  This meeting place seemed a bit silly because there was probably more than 200 other bikers meeting there, so it was difficult to find one another.  Saw some interesting characters with their speedbikes and Hardly-Ablesons  ;)

We left at around 8:40 and took the Hekpoort road.  We stopped for breakfast at the Pit Stop and both had the 2 Stroke.  Saw some old ballies who were very uncomfortable on their road bikes...  We left about an hour later and cruised through the mini-pass up to Hekpoort, and then decided to do some gravel towards Breed's Nek, turning left at the T-junction towards the Rustenburg road.

Just before Rustenburg we took the Derby turn-off - also some nice winding bends, and just after Derby we decided to take the back road to Klerkskraal.  We passed the Klerkskraal dam and turned left for Muiskraal (towards Boskop Dam), after which we took the last (crappy - potholed and full of taxi's) km's to Potch.

We had a few cold ones and lunch at O'Hagan's in Potchefstroom - joined by jan82 (my brother) - and had a nice chat.  He's writing his learner's on Thursday and is itching for his 1150.  We left at around 15:00 and decided to take the quick(er) route home.

We took the Vereeniging road from the N12 (just outside Potch) and then turned left at the Fochville Station turn-off.  We avoided Fochville and rejoined the N12 at the Losberg turn-off.  From there we cruised through Randfontein and Krugersdorp, having a last cup of coffee from my flask at the Krugersdorp lake (Key West).  From there HVDM aimed his GS North for Pretoria, and I turned East on Ontdekkers towards Northcliff.  I arrived home at around 17:15 and he was in Pretoria just before dark.

All-and-all it was a very nice day's riding and I enjoyed riding with another person.  On the tar we took it easy apart from a few bursts of speed  >:D The gravel bit was nice and I took a few tips from HVDM.  Next time we'll go North or East from Pretoria...  :thumleft:

I only took a few pics and will post some later...