Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: SUZUKI DR 750  (Read 1362 times)

Offline DR BIG 750

SUZUKI DR 750
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:58:02 pm »
Hi techno wizzes, I have a DR 750 with about 70 000 k on her, motor is starting to get a bit tired , a little smoke & oil usage, there is small amount of black residue left on the rear fender after a ride, also my clutch is dying probably dead after today. I want to do the top end & also piston & rings, checking in the w/s manual I see the stroke is the same for the 750/800 only the bore differs,   I was thinking going up to the bigger bore. Any ideas on parts such as clutch plates, piston, top end bits, gaskets etc.
thanks
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
Re: SUZUKI DR 750
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 07:22:46 am »
Hiya

Speak to Runner on the forum - he is currently completely rebuilding my motor & so he has a first hand knowledge of motor parts pricing & availablity

his contact info :

Conrad Koen
Off Road Cycles
Unit F
Ferreira Industrial Centre
14 Eland Street
Koedoespoort
Pretoria
Tel: 0h one two 333-6443
Fax: 0h eight six 531 5497
Email: 4stroke@telkomsadotnet

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:23:35 am by Wild Hearted Son »
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 08:16:53 am »
Don't go from 750 to 800.

Some differences between them: One is the stronger starter of the 800. The 750 had problems with this. Upgunning to 800 might make things worse.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:42:43 am »
Thanks WHS will call him today
Le cap are you refering to starter motor being  a problem to swing the bigger mill. I have just redone the starter, I do agree they pull 'amps' turning that motor over. & the black residue on the fender any ideas or just asking to a topend workover.
appreciated
DR BIG

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:53:38 am »
Yes they burn. Never swing more than five seconds. Then wait 15 sec.
Problem with almost all big e-start DR's but much less pronounced on the 650's. 750 most problematic the 800 had a modified starter or starter gear or both can't remember.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Go Big

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 10:51:19 am »
I rebuilt my 750 a few years ago. Its gonna cost you a few thousand rand. Piston, Rings Gudgeon pin and cams cost me over R5000.

I went back to standard size on it so had to re sleeve as well. R800
Had gaskets made up R300
Just about everything was stripped on it. I did the best I could with it and rebored and tapped most of the holes, added worth inserts etc

Note that the valve clearance in the manual is wrong! Your bike will battle to start at those settings. There are a few articles on the net if you look hard enough about it. I found out the hard way.

That starter motor engaging/disengaging setup is weird. All those little 8 shaped cams. When they start to wear out it can cost.

THE FASTER YOU GO THE MORE YOU SEE!!!

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 05:59:27 pm »
Thanks again guys. I pulled the clutch today all was well within Spec. then i saw the fingers on the on the basket had little grooves in them & the plates wre not moving freely, cleaned them up seems spot on now. Also when I sit  at 4/5 k rpm after a couple k,s she splutters & starts loose rpm/power, seems like fuel no blockages I can find, what about that vacuum pump, I checked with the agents pricey but no stock anyway, also it there are no diaphrams/ service kits available for them. after chatting to the machy there he said he one of the Suzuki outboard motors use a similar pump or a l.p. electric pump, what do you think  lc ? I will check those eng spec you mentioned  so as to get the right setup. I got a workshop manual off the net but will check them all the same, hope to sort out the fuel problem then get into the tuning I am also using a fair amount of fuel not hard riding 270k about 23l+ Some told me they can see a bit black smoke so will definatly go that route first before pistons engineering etc.

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Sandton
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 08:11:53 pm »
That stuttering thing I had as well  - last year or the year before - it drove me mad
turned out that the internals on my carbs were worn out
have a look at yours & see

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 08:30:51 pm »
hi WHS do you remember what you changed, thats the next step after I established the fuel is going in there, its a bit expensive buying bits for test sake, forntunatly I found out today with the clutch only some time which is the good part anyway. When do you get your scoot back?

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Sandton
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 07:08:53 am »
Hiya

Ended up replacing carbs entirely
I couldn't find a set of Mikuni BST33s that were in better shape than the ones already on the bike so ended up with a pair of Keihins off a Kawasaki KLE - no problem other than I now have a little pull ring instead of a choke knob

The bike will be ready when its ready - it's a big job as I managed to f@ck it up completely.
Runner estimated 10 weeks for all parts to arrive & machining to be done etc
but you can't hurry perfection - & I'm absolutely 100% sure it is in the best hands possible.

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 10:04:55 am »
Morning WHS
where did you find them & what did they sting you, What are you riding now or is the DR the only one, we should go for a ride when you sorted.

Offline grego

• Bike: Honda XR650R
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 10:39:31 am »
check ebay for carbs and carb parts... there are often good deals on there.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 10:45:15 am »
I 've got KLE carbs. Still attached to a whole KLE. Just waiting for the court order to get it scrapped ::) ;D

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 04:05:11 pm »
Hi LeCap let me know what you want for them when its sorted, any ideas on the fuel pump, electric or stick with the vacuum?

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Sandton
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 05:17:08 pm »
Morning WHS
where did you find them & what did they sting you, What are you riding now or is the DR the only one, we should go for a ride when you sorted.

Heasman Racing sourced & fitted it all for me & rushed me 5 grand
fuel pump & the rest is still stock

No other DS bike at the moment but my other bike is a Kawa VN1500D so I'm still on 2W
Definitely get together for a spin in the dirt when my old girl is running again

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Sandton
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 03:51:52 pm »
Hiya DR Big 750

A big thanks for the heads up on the DR Big at Bike Hospital..
I went there today & managed to get an original luggage rack  - I got my bike without one - effing fantastic !
Also got those little fins on the sides of the tanks - mine were fubar
You were right - they are not shy to charge though.

thx again

Offline Pom

• Amateur Grease Monkey
  • Bike: Ducati Hypermotard
  • Non bastardus carborundum
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 04:02:59 pm »
Hey WHS
Did you manage to understand the English those guys at Baaike Ospital speak?

Laaike schweet my bru, I tune you this part is a cheep as dey cum ere in Da South, da Cuzzins no dis ;D
Success is a matter of hanging on, after others have let go.
Proudly Ducatisti

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 08:00:08 am »
Hi LeCap let me know what you want for them when its sorted, any ideas on the fuel pump, electric or stick with the vacuum?

They might fall off the bike ::)

I've got very good experience with aftermarket pumps on my old VF1100C. It came with an electric pump similar to the ones the KTM LC8 use. Piece of shite corroded to bits and fell apart. First replaced with a lekker Pierburg rotary vane pump which perished after two years or so as it was not happy to run dry whenever I forgot to open the tap :-\ It broke during an Ireland holiday trip and was replaced with a cheap electric diaphagm pump.
If you go for an electrical pump just make sure it's a low pressure unit for a carbed engine not hp for FI.

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Sandton
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 02:31:59 pm »
Hey WHS
Did you manage to understand the English those guys at Baaike Ospital speak?

Laaike schweet my bru, I tune you this part is a cheep as dey cum ere in Da South, da Cuzzins no dis ;D

to quote my old man:  "don't mock the afflicted.."
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 03:25:09 pm by Wild Hearted Son »

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 06:19:19 pm »
Hi all been off line for a while, WHS glad you got some stuff those bangers are quite scarce. I also put a top box on & got some some soft panniers, need to make up some frames to keep them off the zorst. Getting closer to a trip: Have you got your bike back yet. I will keep an eye out for fuel pump solution, but the last ride I was on everything was smooth still the smoke but seems like being too rich. Also picked up an oil leak on the left hand side, could be a crack from an old chain problem or gasket as I did not  have a new one when I had it off in the rebuild. I will take some pics of the DR & post them.
Hope to see some off you on the road soon  :