Our dustless EC trip - a FS perspective - more photos added

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zagser

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR600
What is your first thought when you hear about a dustless gravel trip?

That’s right; it can only mean that some form of water has been involved!

In our case it looked something like this:
DSCN0752.jpg

Let me start at the beginning.
We got together a group of 9 bikers and planned to do as much of the EC gravel passes that we can fit into three days’ riding. We had to adapt our planning on the run, as road conditions dictated our daily progress and we had to skip a number of planned parts, but in the end we all still had a blast!

The team consisted of the following:

Swanniebraai, aka Willem on his BMW Funduro.
Fritz, Swanniebraai jnr, on a BM-X.
Christo-fs, aka Christo on the legendary @T.
Nix, aka Nico on a BMW R1200GS.
Andre on a R1200GS.
Zane, Andre jnr, on a purdy, brand spanking new F800GS.
Caesar aka Corne on a GSA.
HansF, aka Hans on a KTM 950ADV,
and of course myself also on a Katoom.

We arranged to meet at the Total Garage in Ventersburg on Friday morning just before 07:00.
I stayed over at TK-Ten’s place and met Hans on his way to Ventersburg.

DSCN0503.jpg

The two of us, the two Katoom pilots for the weekend, decided to arrive a few minutes late, in order for the BMW guys to get a feeling of what it feels like arriving first on the scene...   :pot:
DSCN0508.jpg

We left for Winburg via tar, and took to the gravel from there on our way to Clocolan.
DSCN0525.jpg

DSCN0561.jpg

DSCN0578.jpg

Christo sporting the latest fashion trend from Milan, looking somewhat like a Silky cockerel.  :patch:
DSCN0579.jpg

This is what the weather ahead looked like.
DSCN0589.jpg

At this point we realised that we need to change our planned route in order to make up the time lost on the first part due to a combination of a finicky battery, and some bikes not sporting the best tyres for the conditions we encountered. Thus we turned in the direction of Excelsior to go via Tweespruit.
DSCN0591.jpg

Filling up at Tweespruit.
Hungry from all the mud and excitement, some opted for some local garage pies, and coke. They say cat-pie never tasted that good!   :biggrin:
DSCN0593.jpg

In Zastron we stopped for some meat for later that evening, and some much needed refreshments to keep the cold at bay. The wind cutting through bone and flesh!
DSCN0605.jpg

DSCN0608.jpg

DSCN0609.jpg

Purdy bike...
DSCN0599.jpg

BMW toolbox...
DSCN0607.jpg

We then headed for Sterkspruit enroute to Lundean’s Nek Pass.

Leaving the Free State.
DSCN0611.jpg

Orange river picking up speed from the recent rain.
DSCN0614.jpg

We filled up at Sterkspruit, but this place is a dump!
DSCN0620.jpg

Local soccer fever ahead of the Bafana game.
DSCN0617.jpg

Some scenery picture from the route over Lundeans...
DSCN0623.jpg

DSCN0625.jpg

DSCN0643.jpg

DSCN0658.jpg

Do you see the bike???
DSCN0695.jpg

Father and Son team, André and Zane. I hope that I can also one day share memories like this with my two boys!
DSCN0694.jpg

Swanniebraai.
DSCN0709.jpg

Group photo on top.
DSCN0734.jpg

From here onwards things turned interesting and slippery again.
I found my groove for riding this stuff, and was thoroughly enjoying myself! Not too long ago I would have soiled my pants just at the thought of riding km’s of non-stop mud. That’s right, on day two on our way to Lady Grey, we rode approximately 14kms of non stop mud!!!

DSCN0738.jpg

DSCN0752.jpg

Our route for the day ended at Halstone.
DSCN0830.jpg

DSCN0783.jpg

The owner seems to have a passion for the lawn there.
DSCN0822.jpg

She made us all park on tiled areas around the house to prevent our bikes from messing up her lawn, cool!
DSCN0772.jpg

We lit the fireplace, made some coffee and tried to get the most of the day’s road removed from our clothes...

DSCN0774.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg

DSCN0795.jpg

The guys with the more road biased tyres had quite a hard time in the mud, they arrived a little while later.
DSCN0799.jpg

No, you must sleep outside, okay?
DSCN0820.jpg

We had some breakfast the following morning consisting of eggs, bacon, toast, left over braaivleis and some coffee.
We then also decided to leave the Tiffendel part of the trip for another day, so we headed for Barkley-East via Wartrail.

DSCN0821.jpg

DSCN0835.jpg

DSCN0834.jpg

Ahh, the legend, is that some sun shining upon it? You decide...
DSCN0839.jpg

Some more beautiful scenery,
DSCN0844.jpg

And a lot of this!
DSCN0850.jpg

DSCN0858.jpg

DSCN0877.jpg

My 'mid-morning snack with a view' while waiting for the others to pass by.
DSCN0881.jpg

Then it’s back to...
DSCN0908.jpg

DSCN0911.jpg

DSCN0912.jpg

Stopping for a breather and swapping some scary moments.
DSCN0920.jpg

DSCN0926.jpg

Some okes sporting some nice weather related outfits. Does it look like we are feeling the cold?
DSCN0923.jpg

DSCN0925.jpg

Some more beautiful EC scenery.
DSCN0928.jpg

DSCN0939.jpg

Sadly we had to wait again for someone with a GPS to show the way as the previous racer was in too much of a hurry to bother waiting for the next rider.  ::)
DSCN0941.jpg

Now where do they hide those cookies??
DSCN0945.jpg

DSCN0951.jpg

DSCN0956.jpg

Stopping to regroup, and head off to Barkley East for some fuel.
DSCN0958.jpg

The beemer then refused to breathe into life, but luckily a biker-Samaritan offered his Isuzu battery for the Defibrillation. She started first time! ( Again we saw the brotherhood of bikers. This guy actually owns a V-Strom, and offered the use of his battery for the weekend to ensure things go smoothly, without knowing any one of us from anywhere!)

DSCN0964.jpg

Getting some fuel for both bikes and riders in Barkley-East.
DSCN0965.jpg

DSCN0968.jpg

DSCN0970.jpg

And then we are back to beautiful scenery and great riding now that things have started to get a bit drier. Fortunately never dry enough to cause dust!
DSCN0975.jpg

DSCN0987.jpg

DSCN0997.jpg

DSCN1006.jpg

DSCN1008.jpg

DSCN1010.jpg

Another break, with a small stream flowing nearby...
DSCN1013.jpg

DSCN1016.jpg

DSCN1025.jpg

Ready for action!
DSCN1031.jpg

After some pictures its back to riding again!
DSCN1032.jpg

DSCN1040.jpg

DSCN1053.jpg

DSCN1066.jpg

DSCN1079.jpg

DSCN1125.jpg

DSCN1166.jpg

Are we there yet?
DSCN1189.jpg

Meeting at the tar road where we turn in the direction of Lady Grey towards our pozzie for the night, by name of Lupela Lodge.
DSCN1190.jpg

Mr Caesar, the pizza boss, joining us all the way from Louis Trichardt!
DSCN1199.jpg

Andre demonstrating his Woema toolkit and the additions he made. This seems like some decent tools there!
DSCN1200.jpg

This place has got to have the most scenic 5km of entrance path I have ever come across. And the view from the old plaasstoep is stunning.
DSCN1203.jpg

DSCN1203.jpg

DSCN1287.jpg

Our trusty steeds awaiting us for some more adventure.
DSCN1204.jpg

DSCN1217.jpg

And then the BMW guys could not hold it in anymore, and just had to wash their bikes in the freezing cold!
DSCN1242.jpg

Does this not make you heart pump chocolate?
DSCN1252.jpg

Corne with a serious case of wardrobe failure, luckily we were not going to attend any music award ceremonies.  :mwink:
DSCN1216.jpg

The only real damage experienced during the trip, was caused by a roosting KTM!   >:D  :deal:
DSCN1208.jpg

We then moved indoors out of the cold, and generally spent some time drinking warm beverages, swapping manly stories (I have a three year old son who watches shrek) and most importantly, eating take-a-ways.
DSCN1275.jpg

DSCN1276.jpg

DSCN1277.jpg

DSCN1285.jpg

The next morning we had to defibrillate the gs again. We also greeted Caesar who still had to get to Pretoria in one day; and went for a sumptuous English breakfast.
DSCN1290.jpg

DSCN1297.jpg

DSCN1299.jpg

Then we packed our gear, stopped for a group photo and headed home via Joubert pass, filling up at lady Grey and the again at Wepener, taking the black stuff as we got the scent of home in our nostrils.

DSCN1303.jpg

DSCN1308.jpg

DSCN1311.jpg

DSCN1314.jpg

DSCN1356.jpg

DSCN1377.jpg

DSCN1396.jpg

DSCN1398.jpg

DSCN1400.jpg

DSCN1401.jpg

I was so impressed with the beauty of the Eastern Cape from the seat of a bike, that I already started planning my next trip to that region later this year!

A huge thank you to Willem for organising this trip, and for everyone who contributed to this trip in many ways.  :thumleft:

Until our next adventure, this is Zagser signing off.