2010 CAPE ADVENTURE BIKE CHALLENGE FIRST RECCIE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hennielowe

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
CAPE ADVENTURE BIKE CHALLENGE FIRST RECCIE

This year’s first recce takes place on the Rooiberge outside Van Wyksdorp located in the Klein Karoo on a game farm called Rooiberg Lodge.

DSC00521.jpg

When we were asked by the organizers (Motorrad Adventures) to join them on a recce out in the field we jumped at it. Not knowing what to expect, we were quickly put to ease. We were assured to not worry about a thing and that’s exactly what happened. We left Worcester on Friday morning, making our way through Barrydale and heading towards Van Wyksdorp via the R62. We turned right onto the gravel road and reached Rooiberg Lodge after about 90km or so. We were greeted by the hosts and quickly showed our chalets. Heading off to supper where we were served some lovely curry and minus some onions for a few of our companions.

p128019220small_120_90_80.jpg
p128000920small_120_67_80.jpg
p128008820small_120_90_80.jpg

DSCN0828.jpg

DSCN0836.jpg

Saturday morning, we were quickly recruited to go and sample the red route. Things started really slow with me Happy Grouphopping on the KTM990, but soon found out that the Pirelli Scorpion rear just did not have enough grip to tractor up the mountain. I headed back down again and hopped on our back up Yamaha WR450- really, the best tool for the job. Boris on the BMW GS Adventure in front of me coped really well with the terrain and showed some great skill negotiating the rocks and boulders. I caught up to the group quickly and we started following the 35km mountain trail. There sure are some great views up here, I though as I just casually followed the trail. This is definitely a great route for the guys who want a little more of a challenge than just a dirt road with a few interesting bits. Little did I know that few kilometers down the line things were going to get really interesting.

p128004520small_120_90_80.jpg
DSCN0835.jpg
p128014120small_120_67_80.jpg

With Chris Hamman out in front and Boris having dropped the GS Adventure a couple of times, I could see, this is no Mickey Mouse trail. We headed down the down slope of the mountain. At first it started out a zigzag, nice and slow but then it got a little more interesting with some more challenging bits. Nevertheless, if you possess the skills and know you and your bikes capabilities, you will seriously love this trail. After we came down the mountain, we turned into what I’d like to call a little bit of bundu-bashing with some awesome mini obstacles. We rode through some interesting river beds which will probably be even better after the winter.

IMG_9689.jpg

RooibergWe headed back after I found myself in a thorn bush, whining like girl, according to our pack leader. I must say, I would have probably still been there if Hennie did not help me up out from underneath the bike. A couple of moments later, he too found himself in a thorn bush with some thorns staying behind. Heal soon mate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmf5yIBQdms

Our Steaks and Boerewors supper was out of this world, with some awesome Irish coffee’s making our tummies warm and eventually putting us to bed.

DSCN0839.jpg

DSCN0815.jpg

This year’s CABC really should not be missed by anyone. The Green and Orange route will be very scenic and well organized.

IMG_6176.jpg

www.cabc.co.za