Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ-400E - Spark plug issues  (Read 598 times)

Offline grego

DRZ-400E - Spark plug issues
« on: June 15, 2010, 01:03:03 pm »
My brother has a DRZ400E that keeps blowing spark plugs.
Gone through 3 in 3 months with the last one lasting only 2 weeks!
We've been using NGK CR7E's. Is this a common problem on DRZ's and where should we start looking?

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
Re: DRZ-400E - Spark plug issues
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 01:25:39 pm »
not a common issue as far as I know, not sure where to look sorry
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 01:30:13 pm »
Maybe you have a sparkplug that fits, but is too short or something.

You are using the CR7E..............but the correct sparkplug for the DRZ is the CR8E.  :deal:

This can be confirmed when browsing through their online catalogue http://www.ngksparkplugs.co.za

My DRZ was also heavy on sparkplugs, until I had the bike rejetted and dynotuned.
........after that all my problems was gone.

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 01:34:33 pm »
You are using the CR7E..............but the correct sparkplug for the DRZ is the CR8E.  :deal:

hahaha! clever man
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 01:35:49 pm »
CR7E is the wrong plug.

The DR uses CR8E.

Plugs die from fuel bogging (too rich, carb float needle farked etc.), overheating from lean running ("racing" exhaust, hodgepodge airbox mods), detonation (too much compression or too shitty fuel), or from simply fitting the wrong one.
Try CR8E for a start.
If the CR8E dies have a look at the plug to determine what causes the expiry. Cut the jacket off and check for the width of the black ring on the insulator.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline grego

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 02:14:12 pm »
we've tried the CR8E as well... same story.
is does have a performance pipe (DEP) that it came with and tim from TMC recommended the CR7E

Offline Operator

• Grey hound
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 02:56:15 pm »
is does have a performance pipe (DEP) that it came with and tim from TMC recommended the CR7E

Well then your jetting (air/fuel mixture ) is causing the problem....................well that is what I think, as I had exactly the same symptoms. (just guessing that your problem might be similar)

The jetting could cost you money, but the spin-off is better fuel consumption and definitely more
power.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:57:16 pm by Operator »

Offline grego

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 04:41:22 pm »

Well then your jetting (air/fuel mixture ) is causing the problem....................well that is what I think, as I had exactly the same symptoms. (just guessing that your problem might be similar)

The jetting could cost you money, but the spin-off is better fuel consumption and definitely more
power.

i was skieming the same thing... jetting might be off.
the bike is very strong, but might be running a bit rich as there is quite a bit of black soot on the fender next to the exhaust.
where did you take yours to get dyno tuned and what did it cost?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:52:57 pm by grego »

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 05:01:24 pm »
What is the colour of the failed plugs?

Are they all black and sooty or white and cracked?

Black and sooty = too rich mixture

White cracked/melted = too lean

Sparkplugs should be any of the colours found on an unburnt piece of toast (ie brown, not too light, nor too dark)

How do they fail, do they simply stop sparking?  Can you see any physical damage, if so, what?
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Operator

• Grey hound
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 05:16:28 pm »

power.

i was skieming the same thing... jetting might be off.
the bike is very, but might be running a bit rich as there is quite a bit of black soot on the fender next to the exhaust.
where did you take yours to get dyno tuned and what did it cost?

Wrench (Julian ) on this forum

PM Send

Offline grego

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 07:00:21 pm »
the plug is sooty... not wet and no other sign of damage (due to lean conditions).
whenever it happens its an overnight occurence... bike runs fine one day, park it off and next day it won't start.

i cleaned the plug today and checked the gap (0.7-0.8mm as per the manual). put it back in and it started but ran erratically and wouldn't idle for more than a few seconds before dying.
pulled the plug and it was wet and sooty. cleaned it again and tested for spark... just a wimpy yellowish/white spark, not a fat blue one.

Offline wrench

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Bajaj (all models)
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 08:19:38 pm »
You really don't want to be cleaning the plug, rather replace. DRZ's are traditionally rich on the needle and the main circuits but a tad lean on the pilot circuit/accel pump. You could knock the main down three sizes which will automatically lean out the needle, turn the air screw in until it lightly seats, then back it out three turns or till best idle. This will not be a 100% but it should be better and should stop fouling the plug.

Offline grego

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 12:00:06 am »
You really don't want to be cleaning the plug, rather replace. DRZ's are traditionally rich on the needle and the main circuits but a tad lean on the pilot circuit/accel pump. You could knock the main down three sizes which will automatically lean out the needle, turn the air screw in until it lightly seats, then back it out three turns or till best idle. This will not be a 100% but it should be better and should stop fouling the plug.
couldn't get a new plug today as the places were closed so was just messing around with the old plug. will get a new one tomorrow.
where can i get jets from?

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 12:14:34 am »
Remember on a carb there are at least three different circuits, each with their own adjustments.

1) When the throttle is closed the idle circuit by-passes the main venturi etc.  Controlled by an idle jet and air screw normally.

2) When the throttle is partly open the position of the needle makes the most difference.

3) And when the throttle is mostly open, the size of the main jet controls the mixture.

Based on what you describe,  if it is a carb problem, which I'm not yet convinced of, you need to look at the idle jet, airscrew, choke and associated adjustments, not the main jet (unless it runs badly when the throttle is wide open).  It sounds like its too rich on start up.

But I would also investigate why you arent getting a nice spark.

Check the coil and the cable to start with.

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline grego

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 12:41:36 am »
the cables to the coil are all good... going to check the spark with a new plug tomorrow and see if its better.

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 09:42:39 am »
Whatever happened with this?

I had a similar issue, but mine was because the tappet cover gasket had warped when I overheated the engine, so oil was getting onto the electrode and fouling the plug. New gasket sorted the problem out :)

And you can run CR7E in a DRZ. CR8E is stock, if I remember right if it's running lean you chuck in a CR7E and if it's rich a CR9E, could have that back to front though.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:43:35 am by MildDog »
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?