Fitting TrailTech X2 light to my DRZ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsgofishing

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
I decided to fit a TrailTech X2 headlight to the Z. This is "normal" halogen - not HID. It cost me $80 - HID is $300  :eek:
They supply 2 rubber straps that fit around the forks, but there was no way I could get them on - there's a LOT of wiring behind the stock headlight/shroud. SO I left the standard mounting brackets on and made up some aluminium arms to support the X2 unit.

P1000052.jpg

Here you can see the  arm that supports the headlight. Because it's at an angle, I could adjust the headlight away from the forks to accomodate all the wiring.
I decided to mount it higher up - most guys mount it so that the bottom of the unit rests on the fender. Mounting it higher creates more space and also acts as a (very) small windshield.  ::)

P1000054.jpg

I then made up a bracket which attached to the units bottom mounting holes and and arm which fitted on the original mounting hole on the headstock. This design, along with the pivoting arms, made it possible to tilt the headlight up/down to give me a basic way of adjusting the beam. I"ll have to try it out at night and maybe have to adjust the length/angle of the arms.

At the same time, I decided to replace the HUGE original indicators with something a little smaller. The originals were on flexible stalks, so I found some really tough, flexible black plastic about 2mm thick and mounted the new ones on these.

P1000053.jpg

The supplied low halogen is only 30 watts, so I did some searching and found a  YELLOW 50w 2" halogen!
Hey, 2 birds with one stone!

P1000055.jpg

You can sort of see it here, but it really is yellow!  ;D

Here's the high beam - i"m now searching for a 50 or 75W 4" halogen - anyone know where I can find one?
P1000050.jpg

Here's the original
p1010001.jpg

While I was ordering from the States, I decided to replace my somewhat tired-looking side panels for the princely sum of $45 for all 3!  :biggrin:
P1000047.jpg