Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Michnus Down !!! and up again, thanks!  (Read 6133 times)

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Re: Michnus Down !!!
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2010, 03:41:31 pm »
thanks, it's great to know such a bunch of trashy sub culture bikers care about each other.  :biggrin:

Offline Pickle

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2010, 04:02:03 pm »
Michnus, I'm very glad to hear that you're ok. We arrived at the bash after sending Andy660 on a helicopter flip, only to hear from Metal Jockey that you'd bitten the dust too. Put a real dampener on things.

As for the cause of your accident:
Before I purchased my 800GS, I very briefly owned a second hand 2006 1200GS. It had a problem with the brake servo, exactly as you describe - lights on and constant whining. I only rode it in this state to get it home, and most of the time, it behaved as it was designed to when there is a problem with the servo or the ABS; i.e. residual manual braking. However, twice on my way home (at very low speed luckily), while slowing, the servo assist suddenly applied full pressure on the front, and slammed my nuts against the tank. It sounds like this is what happened to you, but at much higher speed, and with catastrophic consequences.

I did some research on the various 1200 forums, and found that this is an unusual, but by no means unique problem. I got rid of the bike very quickly, and will never again have anything to do with a bike that has electric brake assist. What a moronic concept for an adventure bike in particular. BMW obviously realised that it was a bad idea, since they did away with the electric servo on subsequent models.

Now you have me really worried about my 2005 GS . . . .  :'(  Can the servo system be removed at all?
I don't exaggerate, I just remember big!

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #202 on: June 24, 2010, 04:04:45 pm »
Michnus, I'm very glad to hear that you're ok. We arrived at the bash after sending Andy660 on a helicopter flip, only to hear from Metal Jockey that you'd bitten the dust too. Put a real dampener on things.

Before I purchased my 800GS, I very briefly owned a second hand 2006 1200GS. It had a problem with the brake servo, exactly as you describe - lights on and constant whining. I only rode it in this state to get it home, and most of the time, it behaved as it was designed to when there is a problem with the servo or the ABS; i.e. residual manual braking. However, twice on my way home (at very low speed luckily), while slowing, the servo assist suddenly applied full pressure on the front, and slammed my nuts against the tank. It sounds like this is what happened to you, but at much higher speed, and with catastrophic consequences.

I did some research on the various 1200 forums, and found that this is an unusual, but by no means unique problem. I got rid of the bike very quickly, and will never again have anything to do with a bike that has electric brake assist. What a moronic concept for an adventure bike in particular. BMW obviously realised that it was a bad idea, since they did away with the electric servo on subsequent models.

Now you have me really worried about my 2005 GS . . . .  :'(  Can the servo system be removed at all?

If you remove the servos, you remove your brakes  :-\
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #203 on: June 24, 2010, 04:20:40 pm »

Now you have me really worried about my 2005 GS . . . .  :'(  Can the servo system be removed at all?

It might have been........and or added to the problem.  :-\

I am getting a bit gatvol off all this stront, every time a battery sneezes, my ABS or servo's or HID light goes on the blink, and it has happened to both the bikes varies times.
It makes it difficult to trace problems and eventually what do you shrug off as rubbish and what  do you take serious? It's like listening to cry wolf stories every now and then.

Bike fell on it's right side and slide the 30m down the road and into barriers.

How's this for good, H&B crashbars did the job well.

Light housing ans frame all busted. Front wheel broken, forks broken and so on, and so on..

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:21:56 pm by michnus »

Offline Berm_Rooster

• is childish hooligan, not a
  • Mossel Bay every other 6 weeks
« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2010, 04:23:02 pm »
Elaborate a little on the "so on".

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #205 on: June 24, 2010, 04:26:23 pm »

This isn't the norm - I've got a 2005 and I'm not worried.

When it starts blinking it's lights at you is when you have cause.

My opinion anyway.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2010, 04:26:47 pm »
Sheez M - good crashbars that...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Jacko

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #207 on: June 24, 2010, 04:31:31 pm »
Hei psssssst! Michnus!

Hierdie bike het shaft drive, tubeless bande, 21-duim voorwiel, 1200cc en geen servo/ABS kak nie... hoe lyk dit?  >:D

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:32:50 pm by Jacko »
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2010, 04:43:31 pm »
Hei psssssst! Michnus!

Hierdie bike het shaft drive, tubeless bande, 21-duim voorwiel, 1200cc en geen servo/ABS kak nie... hoe lyk dit?  >:D

Seconded. This was my solution for replacement when my 1200 servo assist, ABS etc decided to have a mind of its own and throttle stuck open and then front breaks appeared to lock ... the breaks may have been me with a big right fist full with ABS off but all goes pear shaped very fast ... as Mich I am sure wil, attest. What I can say is that on my Adv I discovered that the whining story from servo was due to dirt and binding of the micro-switch within the RHS break lever assembly. Very easy to get gunged up and narrow tolerances (and very small screws!).

On another tack, Michnus I believe that fork may have been missing the pinch bolt? In which case could the axle not have backed out and the wheel then have twisted, jammed, broken the fork leg at that spot???
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #209 on: June 24, 2010, 04:49:22 pm »

scrapes here and there, broken flickers all just stuff that will increase the repair bill cosmetics. Amazingly no engine damage or final drive or rear end damage.

Jaaaaaaaaa Jaco.  :biggrin:

Bigdom, yes, it was part of the problem, it's which happened first that's the question.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:52:19 pm by michnus »

Offline Berm_Rooster

• is childish hooligan, not a
  • Mossel Bay every other 6 weeks
« Reply #210 on: June 24, 2010, 05:20:17 pm »
Fix of Fuct!

Offline Fugly

« Reply #211 on: June 24, 2010, 09:04:20 pm »
Fok I can hear the KTM okes already :eek7:
Donít worry about things that arenít, worry about things that are and your decisions are so much easier to make!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #212 on: June 24, 2010, 09:12:30 pm »

Nah, these days we just smile knowingly..... :peepwall: :biggrin:

It won't be long and the Super Tenere okes will be joining the Katoom okes on this bandwagon.... :biggrin:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Puddles

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2010, 07:59:32 am »
Phew M, sorry to hear about your tumble ... Glad you are ok  :biggrin:.

When I see that glove ... I wish my son had been wearing his when he had his off.  Wow - that helmet sure took a serious bash.  Luckily hubby also rides with one of those.  :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Heal soon !
2010 BMW F800GS     2008 BMW F650GS(Twin)    2006 Honda XL650V Transalp

Offline Reg

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Failure is not an option.
    • GDI
« Reply #214 on: June 25, 2010, 08:51:26 am »
Glad to hear that you are okay.

Get well soon, hate to say it, but get a KTM next time.  ;)
Regards

Reg

To fly is great, to hover is awesome. Ex- Helicopter Pilot.. for now. Past Bikes: XL650V XL1000V (Dero)

Offline Jacko

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2010, 08:54:04 am »

Trust me, I have inside knowledge.

Michnus isn't a poephol.  ;)
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline GEE-SH

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #216 on: June 25, 2010, 09:28:16 am »

Bigdom, yes, it was part of the problem, it's which happened first that's the question.

Fooook are you referring to the pinch bolt that secures the axle that was missing??
BMW R9T, BMW R100RS, BMW R80, Triumph Bonneville T100, Norton Commando, KTM 300XC-W, Peugeot 50cc Help My Trap, 2003 BMW R1200C

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #217 on: June 25, 2010, 10:26:44 am »

Fooook are you referring to the pinch bolt that secures the axle that was missing??

Shhhh..  :-\
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #218 on: June 25, 2010, 10:29:44 am »

Trust me, I have inside knowledge.

Michnus isn't a poephol.  ;)

Opinions may differ on this...... :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #219 on: June 25, 2010, 03:18:00 pm »

Shhhh..  :-\

hehehe and also.  ;)

ETS you can call me a poepol, but if you say I love blue crocks.  >:(

:biggrin: