Greetings Newbie here...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day everyone,

Newbie here - great to read your touring stories and photos, the homesickness levels are at an all time high.

I currently ride and Aprilia but it's under wraps at the moment until the temperatures rise and the ice thaws out.

Anyway - I'll be in Cape Town for two weeks from the 6th March and am planning to do a ride from CT to Plett and spend a few days up there before coming back. Although I've driven that route many many times in the car, it will be a first on the bike. In fact, it'll be a first for me riding a bike in SA at all (if you don't count the teenage years on the ol DT50 :D ). Any hints and tips, warnings and dangers? I'll be riding on my own and meeting up at points with my bro and old man who will be in a car.

Also - can anyone recommend a place to hire riding gear? I'm trying to limit the amount of stuff I take with me on the plane, but if rental gear is of second rate, then I'd rather take my own gear.

And finally, if anyone is keen for a spin to Plett on the morning of the 13th March - I would relish the company.

Thanking in advance and looking forward to the big sky!

Tom