Dakar Swingarm Bearing Fail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jughead

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Did a quick daytrip to the bash in Alexandria on Saturday.  On the way there, on the Kinkelbos road I heard a clacking noise from the rear of my Dakar.  I thought it was the chain making contact with the underside of the swingarm as it is a little loose, so ignored it.  A little later, after a break I got back on the bike and as I put my weight on the seat, I heard the same noise.

At the bash venue Nemodakar had a look while I bounced the bike up and down and his feeling was that it came from the top of the shock  :eek:

That kind of put a damper on the rest of the day.  First thing on Sunday morning, I disconnected the shock from the swingarm and moved the swingarm up and down on it's own.  It was quite a relief to hear the noise still there, coming from the swingarm bearings.  When I removed the swingarm the bearing basically fell out.  They are completely rusted and disintegrating.

Phone Continental:  :imaposer: :imaposer:

Bearings: R 79.00ea (4)
Rubber "seal": R 22.00 (4)
Inner Race: R253.00 ea (2)

This excludes VAT and shipping.  And yes, you guessed it!  None in the country.  A 3 week wait and has to be paid up-front.

So I went to see my engineering buddy.  I am canning the needle rollers and fitting Phosphor bronze bushes on SS tubes.  Am also going to fit grease nipples on the swingarm so they can be lubed reglarly.  Will post some pics of the process.