Fitting HID System to Husky 610

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanB

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Ok havent taken any photos yet but managed to fit the Bike Gear H4 HID system to my bike yesterday.  Havent ridden it at night yet, hopefully will do that to night.

A brief overview of what I did in words:

1) I bought the 2010 250 Husky TE's headlight assembly when I bought my bike because it accommodated an normal H4 halogen.  It still is limited to 35W max and while the halogen bulb produces more light than the old fashioned bulb of the 610 which is completely useless, the halogen whilst being lots better, is still too weak to ride at night safely.  Quite pricey at about R1k though.
2) When I looked it over in the shop, the 250 headlight looked like it would just fit right in to the 610's plastic front numberplate/fairing thingy.  And it did, with one major exception, it needed to protrude through the hole, not sit behind it, the way the old unit did - and unfortunaetly it was about 2mm too wide all round.  So had to file the plastic hole bigger (I didnt do a great job, have to admit - I'm a bit of a perfectionist about this sort of thing, but its in).
3) I was warned that 250 light housing would melt/get damaged by a normal 55W halogen bulb.  I tried one briefly and it did get bloody hot (I measured 97 C and climbing on the thin plastic directly above the bulb after about 5 minutes).  So that wasnt going to be a viable long term solution.  So I bit the bullet and ordered a HID system (its only money - especially when you dont have it  - cough , deal with the implications next month when they arise  :p)
4) Installing it was reasonably straight forward (thanks to some clear instructions from Kurt  :thumleft:).  The most difficult thing was carefully stretching the rubber collar that seals the back of the normal bulb over the much larger diameter solenoid thing on the back of the HID bulb.  It has a solenoid thingy there that moves a little plate in and out to give you the dim/brights functionality.
I bolted the ballast and the relay that controls the dims/brights solenoid onto the back of the plastic number plate/fairing thingy, there was plenty of space.
5) After wiring everything up and reassembling, it fired up 1st time no problems!  Seemed very bright!  Cant wait to test it tonight. 

Hopefully that solves the 610's lighting problem!

In hindsight I should have perhaps have waited for the 630's to arrive to have a look at their front light, although from photo's I've seen that would need a different front mudguard as well!