Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Fitting HID System to Husky 610  (Read 910 times)

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
Fitting HID System to Husky 610
« on: June 21, 2010, 01:36:41 pm »
Ok havent taken any photos yet but managed to fit the Bike Gear H4 HID system to my bike yesterday.  Havent ridden it at night yet, hopefully will do that to night.

A brief overview of what I did in words:

1) I bought the 2010 250 Husky TE's headlight assembly when I bought my bike because it accommodated an normal H4 halogen.  It still is limited to 35W max and while the halogen bulb produces more light than the old fashioned bulb of the 610 which is completely useless, the halogen whilst being lots better, is still too weak to ride at night safely.  Quite pricey at about R1k though.
2) When I looked it over in the shop, the 250 headlight looked like it would just fit right in to the 610's plastic front numberplate/fairing thingy.  And it did, with one major exception, it needed to protrude through the hole, not sit behind it, the way the old unit did - and unfortunaetly it was about 2mm too wide all round.  So had to file the plastic hole bigger (I didnt do a great job, have to admit - I'm a bit of a perfectionist about this sort of thing, but its in).
3) I was warned that 250 light housing would melt/get damaged by a normal 55W halogen bulb.  I tried one briefly and it did get bloody hot (I measured 97 C and climbing on the thin plastic directly above the bulb after about 5 minutes).  So that wasnt going to be a viable long term solution.  So I bit the bullet and ordered a HID system (its only money - especially when you dont have it  - cough , deal with the implications next month when they arise  :P)
4) Installing it was reasonably straight forward (thanks to some clear instructions from Kurt  :thumleft:).  The most difficult thing was carefully stretching the rubber collar that seals the back of the normal bulb over the much larger diameter solenoid thing on the back of the HID bulb.  It has a solenoid thingy there that moves a little plate in and out to give you the dim/brights functionality.
I bolted the ballast and the relay that controls the dims/brights solenoid onto the back of the plastic number plate/fairing thingy, there was plenty of space.
5) After wiring everything up and reassembling, it fired up 1st time no problems!  Seemed very bright!  Cant wait to test it tonight. 

Hopefully that solves the 610's lighting problem!

In hindsight I should have perhaps have waited for the 630's to arrive to have a look at their front light, although from photo's I've seen that would need a different front mudguard as well!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:48:28 pm by alanB »
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
Re: Fitting HID System to Husky 610
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:36:18 am »
Took it for a ride last night.  The 610  lighting problem is solved  :ricky:

The reflector isnt as god as it could be so the lighting pattern on the road is a bit uneven, there's a slightly darker patch in the middle (which I assume is caused by the globe itself) and there are brighter spots scattered around - but hey - you can see the road clearly.  Its perfectly safe to ride at night or in lower light now, compared to before where one would need night vision aides.

Looking from the front the light is very bright so that helps cars see you as well.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Offline MildDog

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 12:26:12 pm »
Very cool :) I await pics. Will be doing the same mod to my DRZ on Saturday morning  :thumleft:
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 05:05:30 pm »
OK Here are some photo's

This is a view from the front of the bike (in case you werent sure).  You can see the 2010 250TE headlamp housing designed for a H4 halogen, which has been fitted through the original 610's plastic screen thingy.  You can also see the HID H4 lamp in place.

This is a view from the other side, you can see the HID ballast and the relay needed to activate the solenoid that moves the little plate in and out (to give you bright/dims functionality).  Bot are bolted to the back of the original 610 plastic screen thingy, which in turn is bolted the BMW Dakar windshield.

Another view of the same thing taken slightly from the side.

Offline MildDog

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 06:30:36 pm »
i've just done mine today. it doens't look nearly as neat as this!! nice work.

did you buy or make the brackets for the bolt-on solution?

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 07:12:19 pm »
i've just done mine today. it doens't look nearly as neat as this!! nice work.

did you buy or make the brackets for the bolt-on solution?

Not 100% sure what you mean, but I'll try answer anyway:

1) The 610 originally doesnt come with any form of wind shield
2) I attached a BMW Dakar windshield by making my own brackets out 30x50x2 aluminium rectangular section.  The one side of each bracket is attached  to the top triple clamp bolts and the other side to the inside of the Dakar windshield (you can see those bolts on my 1st photo).
3) The original small 610 plastic screen holds the front headlight.  It used to be fastened onto the shocks with some rubber band type straps.  I discarded the rubber bands and bolted that plastic screen to the inside of the Dakar windshield using the standard three holes in the Dakar windshield.
4) As I said I had to enlarged the hole through which the headlight shines so that the 2010 250TE headlight unit would fit - it fitted into all the other existing mounting points no problem.
5) The HID ballast and relay were bolted to the back of the original plastic 610 screen as shown.
6) Apart from carefully stretching the rubber boot over the larger diameter solenoid housing at the back of the lamp, mounting the light was straight forward.

Hope somewhere in that lot you get an answer to your question. 

Offline Hennie

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • I am a Christian Zionist
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 09:57:43 am »
Nicely done Alan.

(now show us that darn seat... :pot:)
Science finds God behind every door they open, but they open those doors long after men and women of faith have been there and gone - Wendy Wippel

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Zionism/christianzionism.html

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 08:20:51 am »
now show us that darn seat

Ja look I'm not proud of the seat!  Its not something that should be recorded for posterity (no pun).

It is far more comfortable than the std seat but it looks pretty funny and at some point I'm probably going to get a professional to sort it out. 

All I basically did was cut about 25mm off the standard seat and then glue about 40mm of softer foam on top of that (finding the right foam is the trick).  I tried to cut the new foam into shape (NOT) and then force the cover on again.  Result is a lumpy funny shaped thing!

I kept all the bits of foam I originally cut off the standard seat so if the worst comes I could glue it all back and re-cover to more or less restore to original.

Offline Hennie

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • I am a Christian Zionist
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 08:34:43 am »
Just pulling your socks.
Seeing what a good job you did on the HID, I'm sure you are overstating the (alleged mediocre) job on the seat.
Science finds God behind every door they open, but they open those doors long after men and women of faith have been there and gone - Wendy Wippel

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Zionism/christianzionism.html

Offline MildDog

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 09:23:20 am »
Thanks for the response :) your HID ballast came with a nice little bracket thing to around it, or at least includes holes for bolts. Mine didn't, so I thought you had made the bracket around it. I'm buying an off-cut piece of ally later this week and then will post pics once the ballast is mounted  :thumleft:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 12:06:14 pm »
Thanks for the response :) your HID ballast came with a nice little bracket thing to around it, or at least includes holes for bolts. Mine didn't, so I thought you had made the bracket around it. I'm buying an off-cut piece of ally later this week and then will post pics once the ballast is mounted  :thumleft:

My ballast just had three holes in the plastic housing, it didnt come with a separate bracket.  I bolted it directly to the 610 screen using those holes.