Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar Swingarm Bearing Mod  (Read 9229 times)

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
Re: Dakar Swingarm Bearing Mod
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 11:38:45 am »
don't' laugh I are expert at stripping stuff , getting them together is where I f-up the best, most of the times the bike get towed away   :imaposer:

Are these the same bushes you took out or new ones.  If they are new ones, check to see if they're the same length as the old ones.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 12:10:42 pm »
Same old bushes still waiting for the new ones.

Offline lecap

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 12:33:35 pm »
The shaft seals can not act as thrust washer they are way to soft for it.

...with the black plastic caps that must go on the outside of the swing arm...

I was wondering a bit about the setup but yes if there is caps on the outside of the swingarm pivot bearings then they will work as thrust washers. Didn't see them in your piccies and thought they weren't there :)

And yes of course heating the steel bearing seat and fitting a cold bearing works although you have to be very quick. I was referring to disassembly.
Still no comparsion to a bearing fitted with a press seat into aluminium. Stick it into your oven at 160C and it will just plop out :D

The story with an engine mounting bolt pinching the swingarm or suspension lever happens on plenty of bikes (KLR for example).
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Jughead

• Grey hound
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2010, 12:46:27 pm »
The story with an engine mounting bolt pinching the swingarm or suspension lever happens on plenty of bikes (KLR for example).

The lower bolt is not the engine mounting bolt on the Dakar.  The engine mounting bolt is the same as the swingarm bolt, the one that the bearings sit on.  The one I was referring to is the one for the frame below the engine.

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2011, 03:31:26 pm »
Hey Jughead

How are your bushes holding up?

I'm busy  doing a strip, clean and rebuild on my 2001 Dakar.

Some questions for you.
1. How much play did you have between the bolts and inner races? I have play in the whole linkage system that adds up to about 10mm at the end of the swing arm.
2. Did you check all the other bearings in the linkage system? All my inner races but 1 are stuffed >:( >:(
3. In your opinion would adding grease nipples to a bearing setup work or not?

Cheers
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Africa Twin = GROOT KLR
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2011, 07:06:49 pm »
Add Q20  ;D
Skaap tjops, Lammie se kerrie wors en Klein Karoo sterre;
dis mos die lewe!

Offline lecap

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2011, 08:53:08 am »
Hey Jughead

Some questions for you.
1. How much play did you have between the bolts and inner races? I have play in the whole linkage system that adds up to about 10mm at the end of the swing arm.
2. Did you check all the other bearings in the linkage system? All my inner races but 1 are stuffed >:( >:(

Cheers
1: Waaaay too much. Whilst you have a little bit of play in the diurection of suspension travel on some bikes (Yamaha XT600 for example) it should not exceed 2 or 3 mm measured on the rear wheel axle. If you have a lot of play it points at the needle bearings being poked. Make suer all bolts in the linkage are tightened when checking for play.
3: Grease nipples are a good idea but rather difficult to realise: You will have to find space for the  nipples (out of the way but still accessible for the grease gun), machine an access path from the grease nipple to the bearing. You ideally have one grease nipple per bearing and make sure the grease enters from one side and can escape through a pressure relief bore on the other side of the bearing.

Greasing the bearings through the swingarm pivot axle & bolts is tricky since it requires a lot of machining of bores & crossbores (including drilling inner bearing races) & grooves. Consideration has to be given to a reduction of the bolts shear strength.

If you grease the bearings on a new bike and disassemble, clean and grease every 40,000km or so the bearings usually last a lifetime. (At least in my KLR's / DR's) Never kept the F650's long enough for shite like that to happen ::)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2011, 09:40:50 am »
thanks J

what about grease nipples between the 2 bearings as Jughead did with his bushes? The roller bearing cages do have a gap to the inner race. So the grease would travel from the centre outwards through the bearing.
Making a bolt with a hole down the middle is an option. Albeit a dear one.

The free play is an accumulation of the play between the bolts an inner races through the linkage system. Nothing seems worn, just a poor fit right from the start. I might look into aircraft grade bolts that have a h7 tolerance on the shaft.
The bearing races don't seem worn as far as I can feel, but they are rusted and pitted where the rollers run.
Will have to get some 4140 or equivilent turned, hardened and cylindrical ground.

Offline lecap

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2011, 09:48:33 am »
Play between bolts and inner races does not play a role since it's eliminated as soon as you torque the bolts. I'd stay away from closely fitting bolts anyway since the play between the bolt and the inner race is essential for disassembly after a year or four. Best greased liberally since inner races love to rust onto the bolts even if the initial fit was rather loose. For illustration try to remove the bolt holding the suspension lever in the frame of a KLR which was never serviced properly. ::)

Are you shure it's worth to go through the process of machining, heat treating and grinding some carbon steel chunks instead of just buying OEM inner races?

Offline Jughead

• Grey hound
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2015, 12:19:01 pm »
Hey Jughead

Some questions for you.

Cheers

Here's an update.  I sold this Dakar 4 years ago, but it still appears in my shop for it's regular services.

Took the swingarm apart at the last service (Early Jan 2015) and all bushes still look like the day I fitted them.

Re-greased them via the grease nipples and ready to go for another 4 years.

Offline Lem

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2015, 12:29:30 pm »
Thanks  :thumleft:

learnt a lot here, as I also have a bit of up n down play on my swingarm I'd like to sort out
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2015, 02:50:26 pm »
Excellent Squire

Hey Jughead

Some questions for you.

Cheers

Here's an update.  I sold this Dakar 4 years ago, but it still appears in my shop for it's regular services.

Took the swingarm apart at the last service (Early Jan 2015) and all bushes still look like the day I fitted them.

Re-greased them via the grease nipples and ready to go for another 4 years.