Are We Being Ripped off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mzee

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
I decided to give my DL a new look. So I shop around and get to Touratech. https://www.touratech.com/shops/001/index.php?cPath=6_65_476
needing a number of items.  Anyway finally I get to the local dealer.  I duly give him the part numbers.  I am looking at the prices on the web in euroes.  He tells me oh no don't look at those prices.  We have different prices.  So I calmly ask him what the prices are.  Hand-guards, in the region of 1200R. Chain guard 700R.  The thing is the prices were double.  I pointed this out to him.  He begins raving how after paying, courier charges, taxes and custom duties and all those payments one makes after importation.  Even after paying all these amounts why does the price double?  

I buy quite a bit of my stuff abroad and not on a single occasion has the prices doubled even after paying all the various charges.  It bothers me that dealers think that customers are don't have heads.  What bothers me about Touratech is that I can see the price on their website yet someone is trying to make twice out of me.

What about the dealer buying at wholesale prices? Worst still is that you cannot buy directly from Touractech for some unknown reason.  True the dealers need to make some money, but surely doubling the prices raises questions for me.

What about the concept of free trade, can't I buy where I think the prices are fair?  If I cannot do anything about it,  I persuaded myself that they can keep their stuff.  I am not going to ripped off while I wide awake and using the faculties of my senses.