Sani Pass with Lito - Updated with Lito's story & Pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
That man Lito - you know the one from that town built around a "koppie" at the southern tip of Africa - He came to visit his better half in Matat and he mentioned to me that he likes riding bikes once or twice before. So I scheme that we do Sani from time to time, and thought that he needs to see a proper mountain anyway, so I offered him a scooter to come with. Mentioned this to a few friends, and the ride was on. Lito to me was a name on the net and I have known him for a few years as just that. Alfie was going to come along too with some Austrian friends from the Orange factory, but their plans changed. This caused a little change to Lito's luck and he was now promoted from my 525 to Alfie's demo 990, which he was not going to ride on the day and kindly borrowed it to us!

Now everything was as good as it gets and we were all set. Lito's typing became a voice on the phone and we were ready to roll on Friday night, quite late. The kwat and son's scoot and the demo 990 were on the trailer, and the wife was ready to roll with the bakkie at 5 on Saturday morning.

Jan059.jpg

The 4 of us, Me - 990, Bruce - 12GS, Hein - 950 and John - HP2 left on the bikes. Encountered quite a bit if mist along the way to Richmond where we fueled the HP and then set off for Hela Hela and the scenic dirt through to Himeville.

Jan061.jpg

End of tar, let some air out the tyres.

We had a great ride there, still one of my favourite trips.... Fueled in Himeville and then a brisk ride to Sani Pass Hotel where the bakkie was waiting (they took the tar shortcut) and Lito changed to George and his lady Hilde. Had some muffins and juice and stuff there - there are advantages in bringing the good ladies along..... Sorted out some gear and stuff for Hilde and soon enough everyone was ready to go. The 4 early riders, George and Hilde on the 990, Riana (Hein's wife) on the kwat and Behan on the pit bike. Off we went towards the border.

The road at the moment is not in great condition, just great for bike riding. Quite rutted, rocky and a fair amount of water. The conditions were pleasant, but you had to stay alert and read the lines. I really enjoyed the ride, and everyone else seemed to be having fun too.

Jan064.jpg

Passport stamping was quick and simple, and we set off for Sani pass. The smile on face and the song in my heart just became bigger as we went. How priviledged are we!

Jan070.jpg

John on his HP2

Jan068.jpg

Behan on his HP0

Jan066.jpg

The view.....

I enjoyed those twisties so much, George and me went down again just to make sure that Chrisna did not have hassles getting the Hilux into Low range....

At the Lesotho border post the formalities were also simple, stood around and had a re-grouping chat.

HPIM3881.jpg

HPIM3882.jpg

Jan071.jpg

Proceeded to the Sani Top Chalet and had a drink and some more chatting there. Really a bunch of nice people who made for a lekker day.

HPIM3895.jpg

From there we travelled into Lesotho towards Black mountain, just to give George and Hilde a glimpse why this place was named the Mountain Kingdom. Great ride too, although the surface was quite loose and rear wheel traction was a bit of a problem whilst the TKC80's were begging for mercy.

We took the shortcut up to the top and confirmed the abreviation seen on some of the bikes. (King of The Mountains???). Apologies....

Jan073.jpg

HPIM3899.jpg

HPIM3900.jpg

HPIM3898.jpg

On top of the world....

From here we headed back to the border, and the return trip was just as enjoyable. I could hear George singing in his helmet above the 990's bark as we came down the pass at a leisurely pace. The rest all followed.

Jan075.jpg

Bruce had an excellent first ride on the GS12 - his smile was testimony to some achievement and it just feels so good. Behan ran out of fuel just before the hotel, and Glen helped him out quickly, thanks mate! Johan was now on the kwat and he also did well down the pass. A serious strorm started brewing and we rode into the rain a few km's from the hotel. Just to make sure that we were nicely soaked by the time we arrived. We loaded all the trailered scooters, and decided to sit down and have a bite at the hotel whilst the rain pulled over.

Jan078.jpg

Bruce and John left for Pietermaritzburg, whilst the rest of us parked off and just shared some wisdom and had a bite to eat at the hotel. At about 5 we said goodbye to George and Hilde - it was about time that we put a face and a person to the name Lito, I am looking forward to the next one already!

On the way back Hein and I hit that storm, and what a storm it was! We were soaked / drenched and all the other words to do with proper wet. The puddles in the dips on the tar were so deep, it took our feet right off the pegs coming through them. And the lightning and wind was just amazing. We were all over the show and had to pay some proper attention to keep the rubber TKC 80 side down on the tar river.

Took this pic just as we were through the other side, we came straight through this.
Jan080.jpg

Arrived home just before dark, after a memorable ride. Thanks to all the friends who made the day a gem! And thumbs up to my favourite dealer!
And that same storm arrived in Durbs a few hours later, unearthing a few trees in our area and added some hail too!!
Just a warning, if you ever bump into this couple, do not confront them, they are dangerous and have no fear.
HPIM3885.jpg