Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BEFORE BUYING A HONDA TRANS ALP LOOK OUT FOR THIS  (Read 8595 times)

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
BEFORE BUYING A HONDA TRANS ALP LOOK OUT FOR THIS
« on: July 05, 2010, 09:20:26 pm »
 :deal:

NO HIJACKING THESE THREADS PLEASE
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 06:49:32 pm by michnus »

Offline Rooies

Re: BEFORE BUYING A HONDA TRANS ALP LOOK OUT FOR THIS
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:33:42 am »
Probably makes sense to distinguish between the 650 and 700 as they are totally different bikes.
Current:     BMW R1150GS
                  Honda XR650L
Previous:   BMW R1200GSA
                  Honda XL700V

Offline Yupa

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 09:43:03 pm »
Probably makes sense to distinguish between the 650 and 700 as they are totally different bikes.

ja nee Roux...DIS KORREK!!

SO.....wat is daar om voor uit te kyk voor jy koop?
XL650V - SOLD
XL700V - SOLD
BMW HP2

Offline blauth

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 07:16:12 pm »
Only two things I can think of:

650 & 700: There is no protection under the engine casings. Make sure there is no damage to the engine casings underneath.

650: The standard forks are very soft so the bike prone to bottoming out when taken offroad. Make sure the head bearings are ok.

600: Very old models. The primary drive shaft (front sprocket) is prone to wear. Mainly because non-OEM sprockets are used that are both thinner and harder than the OEM sprockets. This causes wear on the shaft splines.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else.

Offline IRISH

• Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 10:51:29 am »
Blauth read your owner's manual about the temp guage. It is absolutely normal. Don't try to fix what is not broken.
I would agree with checking the under-belly as that plastic valence is absolutely useless. Also if you keep the cat it is vulnerable to rocks as it hangs low. I had mine removed before taking delivery. It does not affect the lambda sensor as it is before the cat in the pipe.
This is the 700 I am talking about.

Offline blauth

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 11:17:52 am »
Blauth read your owner's manual about the temp guage. It is absolutely normal. Don't try to fix what is not broken.
I would agree with checking the under-belly as that plastic valence is absolutely useless. Also if you keep the cat it is vulnerable to rocks as it hangs low. I had mine removed before taking delivery. It does not affect the lambda sensor as it is before the cat in the pipe.
This is the 700 I am talking about.

IRISH, I don't have a manual. Can you quote the paragraph what the manual says in this regard?

Offline IRISH

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 02:46:24 pm »
They're Hondas. If it has been serviced as you say then don't worry. My AT did well over 100 000 kays and the new owner has put on a whole lot more and there have been no problems. The AT trditionally had fuel-pump problems but this is fuel-injected so I think those issues will be sorted.
If you go onto TA sites you will find very little that the guys complain about. Go onto anF800GS site and there are pages and pages.

Offline blauth

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 05:10:31 pm »
What km's do you guys have on your 700's -looking at one that going on 50000 but with full service history,what must i look out for

If you really want to be pedantic but it's an important component is to check out the main drive shaft. The have seen some with relatively low mileage where these splines have worn significantly.

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 09:41:01 am »
If you're looking for any more info, go here:
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline SilverSurfer--

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 02:36:21 pm »
My TA has 34000km's on now and I have had zero problems. Well almost . I have bought it on 6000km's a year ago. I had to replace the clutch cable and steering head bearings with my last service, that said...my previous service centre never checked it properly and I am guilty of not checking it myself. I will however advise that if you buy one check for these especially if the km's are high. I have a XL650V 2007 model.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 12:57:18 pm »
These bikes are pretty bullet proof.. A simple once over is all the bike needs. Head bearings always go after a few years other than that the only thing I look at when buying the 650 is what has been done to the bike like bar raisers, barkbusters, raised screen, other than that myself and 3 mates have the 650's and we have found no problems with these bikes that stand out as being a problem.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline freebird

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 01:42:05 pm »
Honda transalp 650
53000km. What a machine!!!  Runs like a bike should run and is everything you need.
I Broke T2...

Offline HI-LUX

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 01:10:41 pm »
Hi ek het ook n xl650v en kan ook nie kla nie.bike klink en loop nog 100% en ek het al 60000km op.het hom gekry op 46000km.hoe weet jy as die neck bearing klaar is.as bike op sy senterstand staan draai dit glad en ek kan niks speeling voel nie.dit maak soms n klak geluid as ek voorbriek gebruik net so voor ek tot stilstand kom.

Offline The Rock

• Peter: a masculine given name, derived from the Greek word πέτρος (petros) meaning "Rock".
  • Revelation 19
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 01:42:12 pm »
Hi ek het ook n xl650v en kan ook nie kla nie.bike klink en loop nog 100% en ek het al 60000km op.het hom gekry op 46000km.hoe weet jy as die neck bearing klaar is.as bike op sy senterstand staan draai dit glad en ek kan niks speeling voel nie.dit maak soms n klak geluid as ek voorbriek gebruik net so voor ek tot stilstand kom.
hi Lux!  ;)

welkom. gaan stel jouself voor aan die honne en vertel ons so biekie van jouself hier:  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?board=16.0

jou neck bearing is heel waarskynlik effens te los as dit maak soos jy beskryf. draai dit biekie stywer vas. as dit n haak plek het is hulle moeg.

as jy dit moet vervang, moenie by Honda gaan bearings koop nie. sit tapered roller bearings in. dis baie beter en gaan goedkoper wees.

as jy nog vrae het, gaan vra biekie hier: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=41766.0

:thumleft:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:47:16 pm by kaalkoejawel »
Honda XL650V Transalp
Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Offline lecap

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 08:06:26 am »
The steering head bearing wear affects both the XL650V and XL700V. Both actually share the same cheap shoulder ball bearings.
The OEM bearings will rarely last more than 20,000km. Depending on the mileage check the bearings and ask if aftermarket tapered roller bearings were fitted as replacements.
Tapered roller head bearings will last 50,000km and more if fitted correctly and not killed with the pressure washer.

XL700V: Fork boots or seal savers are a very worthwhile addition. If the bike does not have any check for stone pit damages in the hard chrome of the inner tubes. Pits and rust will quickly destroy fork oil seals. Rebuilding the forks and chroming the tubes ~ R3k

Good progressive aftermarket fork springs are a plus for all Transalps: The 650 front end is too soft and the problem gets worse with time as the springs tend to sag. The 700 has much stiffer linear OEM springs but they are set up with very little preload which makes the front end a bit rough under normal (gravel road) conditions and the front still lacks a bit firmness if you're hard on the brakes.

Check for radiator repairs. Nota very common problem (?) and it might be related to abuse / crashing. The radiators leak on the inside next to their mounting points.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 09:08:04 am »
700cc:

Check for leaks around where the coolant hose meets the radiators, and around the coolant hose T-piece just ahead of the belly pan. The placement is pretty poor and the T-piece is exposed with the standard belly pan. I've had two rounds of leaks there fixed by Honda under warranty.

+1 on checking for damage to the sump and cat. Damage to the cat is not really a problem, but will show if the bike has been used off-road at least.

Ask which service is next. If it divides by 12,000 it's a valve clearance service which is difficult to do yourself / more expensive.

P.S. I've got 42,000km (around 10% off-road) on my OEM head bearing and it seems fine.
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Uberutang

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • 2014 BMW F800GS