WD Helmet camera testing- HD test added

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N[]vA

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR-Z 400
So I have decided to change this into two parts, first will be the testing and then I will post a full review of all the cameras at once. I will how ever post some test footage for you to preview  :thumleft:

Hey hey  :D

So after having decided I wanted a helmet camera I started to read and watched every article or video review I could find regarding some of the more popular helmet cameras around. Now from the reviews around I started to get some what frustrated as most of them that had any relation to what we do, in terms of dual sport riding, were either reviews & videos geared towards tar riding (crotch rockets) or mountain bikes.

Now while the videos I found gave me some good ideas as to how well suited the cameras would be to dual sport riding I wanted to do some in depth testing both for myself and for the, it seems, growing number of wilddogs that are taking an interest in using helmet cameras as their weapon of choice for ride reports.

As it stands the cameras I have access to areas below. These are also currently the cameras I have short listed as the ones I am interested in as a replacement for a happy snappy camera (Canon Ixus 70) I had until it recently gave up the ghost after being roosted at high speed  :patch:

Cameras:

Camera Prices:

Price: R 7495.00  inc. VATPrice: R 3499.00  inc. VATPrice: R 3799.00  inc. VATContour HD 1080p - Price: R 3799.00  inc. VAT
Contour HD 720p - Price: R 3299.00  inc. VAT

Judging Criteria:

• Ease of use
  • Ease of Sharing, how hard is it to get the video form the camera to the forum or a website
  • Video Quality
  • Video stability, think vibration and frame tearing (more on this later)
  • Practical storage capacity & battery lifetime
  • Mounting options and durability, will them clips survive a tumble?
  • How well suited is the camera to dual sport requirements

easy of use in this sense is a camera that the average wilddog can record videos; plug into a PC and upload to a video site like YouTube or SmugSmug without needing to ask for the assistance of someone under the age of 15  :deal: (maybe I should write a guide while I'm at it :peepwall: )

Video export settings
Here is a screenshot of the settings I am using for all the video clips when saving in windows movie maker
4767321283_34c9e88025_b.jpg

Testing:

So far my plans are to test the cameras in three basic situations. Tar; Gravel & Play.

Tar: every day commuting or joy riding
Gravel: Dual sport traveling & joy riding
Play: Enduro tracks; quarry's; sand etc etc  :ricky: :ricky:

I will post videos one at a time as I still have a full time job  :deal:

Should you have a camera you would like to see reviewed please shout and I will see what I can organize  ;D Also if you would like to see the camera tested under different conditions or surroundings lemme know.

Test footage

POV 1.5

tar 1
[flash=580,485]https://www.youtube.com/v/S0O3RJKNeDY[/flash]
tar 2
[flash=580,485]https://www.youtube.com/v/GaV6tZfSdYs[/flash]
enduro 1