BOSVARK BASH RECCE - DONE. Pics and map shots added***

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boer!

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I need to get this report going.  I really have very little time on my hands right now, so posting this ride report will be over a couple of days or so.

On Thursday, a bright idea struck me.  I can do a Recce ride for the Bash which I am organising.  I called up my riding buddy Janneman, but he was out because of flu. So I posted it on WD's.  Soon I got some hits, and it seems the ride was on.  

My main idea was to find out what the dirt roads are like around the selected camping spot and I have an idea of what I want to give the Dogs when they  come to the Bosvark Bash.  Here is what I had in mind:

1.  Newbie routes.  Two circular routes about 100-150km each.  Idea is that you end up in a town or pub for lunch and then have the option to bail out after first 100km, or if you feel up to it, do another 100km second circular route.  For this I recruited Leondude via Cavegirl (teehehehehe) ;D Leondude was so keen to ride, and I knew I only had to twist his arm a little ol bit more, so I phoned Cavegirl, who convinced him in 30 seconds flat.  I knew Leondude needed to get back on his bike and get his confidence back.  I hope that I succeeded a little with Leon doing over 740km in two days. And Cavegirl got to run in her new bike as well.

2.  INtermediate routes.  The same idea as for the newbies.  Work out two circular routes, with a stopover somewhere for lunch around 12pm or 13pm.  You can then either bail out and go chill, or do another couple of Km's but I was thinking making the morning route about 300km, and then afternoon ride another 150-200km.  I know it might sound a lot, but I covered about 780km on Sunday alone.

3.  Technical route.  Thus far, I only have 30km of fire roads which I still need to explore.  I hope to make contact with some other dogs a little later in NOrthwest to point me in the right direction.  Then send Jules there....  :pot:

Saturday Morning: Failure to Launch
I asked a good mate of mine, Shaun, to join me on the ride. He isn't a WD, but he rides plastic bikes, so we had to build up my 650GS Dakar really quick for him, as it was still lying in several pieces strewn all over my spraypainting booth.  So at 6am, we start to assemble the Dakar I just recently finished respraying and fixing up some minor cosmetic damage.  It was a race against time, and in between, I had to leave to take my Mother in Law and SWAMBO to the Airport, and rushed back.  When I got back, Shaun had progressed well, and some panels were on already, but some clamps it seems were forgotton to be tightened in the rush.

So Finally, at about 14pm, we left my house to meet up with the other dogs waiting for us at Pepper Chair.  There we found EXcalibur, Killroy, Pielas and Nomad waiting for us.  Plus me and Shaun would make this 6 dogs for a Recce Ride.  I couldn't believe my luck, but NO.  Pielas was waiting for some girl that still has to arrive.  Killroy only joined to see if this imaginary girl would ever surface.  (SHe has been a rumour for quite some time now.  It seems we always JUST MISSED her)  Excalibur just got back from a ride and he was gatvol gery.  So, only me, Shaun and Nomad then.

We had a quick beer, and filled up.

Photo 1:  My Dakar 650GS, and my Blue Beauty 1200GS in front of BP @ Lyttelton Road.

PHoto2:  Nomad joined in the fun and had a garage pie and later had 4 Rennies.

Photo 3:  The Route we were supposed to take and didn't get to.

Attachments

• 030720101822.jpg
    030720101822.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 211
  • Bosvark_Recce.jpg
    Bosvark_Recce.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 030720101821.jpg
    030720101821.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 212