2 Jameson brothers and an orphan - Kubu Island and beyond..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popipants

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
The Plan
It started when I was informed that my mother in law will be coming to stay with us for two weeks.. Now this gave me the perfect opportunity to go on a little ride.  >:D >:D >:D >:D

00.jpg

I informed Funacide that I have a free long weekend and if he is keen on a little ride.
After some discussions we settled on Makgadikgadi Pans (Kubu Island) in Botswana, it’s always been on our “must do rides before we die” list.
We did not have a lot of time and wanted something that is not too far.

Then we had some devastating news….one of the Jameson brothers will not be joining?!?!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( WTF
Plotty was out! This left us with some soul searching to do. Because he is the voice of reason.
We bring the coffee, the Jameson and good company; he brings the food common sense and a plan.
My wife even mentioned she is worried he will not be joining because he keeps us out of trouble (and out of shebeen’s).  :3some: :3some: :3some:

Now those of you who have followed our ride reports now that we do not travel separately. This changed the trip dynamics.
After some discussions we decided to invite some other mates along. We ended up with IDR, Ryperd, and Michnus, Funacide and I.
The trip started as a long weekend thing, but we added a day just in case we hit some sand. Then we added a day so we can explore the pans a little. Then we added a day so we can leave later during the day when it is not that cold.

So we ended up with 6 days…

About two weeks before we left IDR bailed giving some excuse about the KLR being too heavy for the Botswana sand and that he does not have space to carry all the extra oil he would need.
Then the Friday before we left Michnus bought a piece of land that will leave him side lined.
That just leaves the two Jameson brothers and the rider formerly known as Ryperd. 

Our plan was simple…there was no plan. We would head for Kubu Island and see if we can cross the pans towards Gweta and Planet Baobab (we heard they sold beer), and if that was wet and impassable, we would try and head around the eastern side of the pans up towards Nata.
We were worried that the pans might be wet and we would not be able reach Kuku. But a couple of days before we left we got some info from a 4x4 forum that the pans are dry enough to cross, at least to Kubu so Botswana was a go!! 
:ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: