Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR 750 CARBS  (Read 969 times)

Offline DR BIG 750

DR 750 CARBS
« on: July 11, 2010, 07:41:46 am »
Morning all "Le Cap & experts" who knows the setting for the pilot screw on the carb. you need a degree in "contortnist"to get to it especially with the motor hot for setting.
thanks
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: DR 750 carb
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 12:17:01 pm »
No clue but anything between 1 1/4 turns and two turns out should get you running.

If the cold engine starts readily without choke go 1/2 turn further in.

If the engine gains idling speed considerably as it warms up and tends to stall on hard braking to a standstill turn 1/4 turn further out.

This only works if everything else (compression, valve clearance, synchronisation, no air leaks, no gunk in jets and passages) is 100%.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline DR BIG 750

DR 750 CARBS
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 07:57:17 am »
POSSIBLE TRAGEDY
Been servicing the DR  750 for the bash, leaving Thursday with WHS, decided to clean the carbs yesterday, ( have been having fuel problems for a while thought it was the vacuum pump, ) pulled out the slides etc, the needles, slides ,top plastic caps are so badly worn(21 years worth) holes in the plastic slides are oval  about double the normal size needle flops around, needle so thin that the onlly top clips can hold the circlip about1/3 origional diameter, also the piece that holds the springs in also badly worn, cannot put them back they might break. going to Suzuki on Monday hopefully they have spares on hand, any ideas for spares or carbs welcome. Le cap any ideas or options. iI live in the JHB area. Could be  long haul on DR 500 vmx with a havasack for luggage &  8l tank.
any help appreciated
thanks

Offline grego

• Bike: Honda XR650R
Re: DR 750 CARBS
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 02:12:26 pm »
try mcomp.co.za
they're in durban... very helpful guys!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:12:59 pm »
Try Bike Hospital in JHB....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 04:16:55 pm »
what about a carb from a DR650SE ???

can that not work - ganjora had 2 for sale if i remember correct

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 07:15:54 pm »
Does a DR 650 take a single carb the 750 takes 2 carbs, will be checking all of this info tomorrow, just trying to cover all bases in case

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 08:38:37 pm »
Does a DR 650 take a single carb the 750 takes 2 carbs, will be checking all of this info tomorrow, just trying to cover all bases in case

no think its single carb

but maybe some of the experts can tell us if it will work

maybe switching some jets etc who knows  :-\

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 07:51:46 am »
Eish - I know this problem well
Many older bikes have these Mikuni carbs ie Funduro, Suzuki GS500e, Pegaso  etc, etc
But , as mentioned previously - the internals on any set you find will be as knackered as yours.

I now have Keihins on mine - off a Kawasaki KLE- all metal internals.
They seems to bolt right on with a welded linkage operating the chokes attached to a pull ring - no more choke knob.  if you need it I'll double check the model numbers tonight

get hold of Runner in PTA - if anyone can pull a rabbit out of a hat for you - it will be him.
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

www.harleyparts.online

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 09:52:39 am »
I have used Kawasaki KLE400 carbs for sale. Disassembled & cleaned recently (then I disassembled the KLE ::) )

The only set of carbs that might be a closish fit off the Suzuki model range might be the Freewind XF650 as it uses twin port (intake) head and dual carbs like the DRBig.

DR600 & 650 (all) will not work as they all use single port heads.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline GRIM

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 10:04:50 am »
I have a Funduro that I'm parting out, post  a pic & I'll check if the carbs are similar.
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 11:26:36 am »
I have a Funduro that I'm parting out, post  a pic & I'll check if the carbs are similar.

Should be  Mikuni BST33s
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

www.harleyparts.online

Offline GRIM

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 11:58:04 am »

Should be  Mikuni BST33s

No Idea, it's a 93 model.
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 02:15:37 pm »
thanks guys for all the info, i am checking out a 2nd hnd set  at b/h hopefully not knackered as well or then on to plan c with the 500 for Thursday then must find a cage for luggage the 500 is " nie plek vir n boodskap nie.
WHS will drop you a line when I know if the new carbs are good bad , might have to leave earlier if I go on the 500. lights are not great, will also get hold of runner, should I pm him or have got a contact for me.
Le cap do you know what size the KLE carbs are the DR are 33mm.
thanks again all

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 02:51:42 pm »
Hi Grim  just checked the internet the 94 funduro uses 2 x 33mm carbs so might be the same will pm you with contact details so we can chat ,where are you based
thanks

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 07:49:39 am »
According to WHS (?) the Keihins out of the KLE are a straight fit size wise might need rejetting though. Will check for size later. You'll have to let me know soon if you want them to make sure the courier makes it in time.

Ganjora

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 08:09:32 am »
got 2 bst40 mikuni carbs...
58mm outlet
46mm inlet
98mm overall length

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 09:39:44 am »
got 2 bst40 mikuni carbs...
58mm outlet
46mm inlet

98mm overall length

Other way round.

And still waaay too big venturi for a 750cc / 800cc single. It will bog down. Also issues to couple the two bst40's just as well as fitting them into the DRBig.

Ganjora

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 09:41:49 am »
would one work on a DR600?

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 09:48:52 am »
should work maybe needs a bit of rejetting. Biggest issue is outlet diameter towards the cylinder (as well as obviously physical dimensions). If it does not fit into the oem rubber flange you're pretty much stuffed. Easier to make a plan on the velocity stack side.

Once fitted a Keihin CVK41 (KLR carb) into a KTM620. Was an almost straight fit and started, idled & ran like stink even with KLR jetting and even better once redone. Compare with the "I refuse to idle smoothly, I refuse to take without bogging" piece of antiquated Dell' Orto rubbish it came with ::)