XR600R makeover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtWarp

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I am a programmer by trade so please be gentle.

Found an XR600R 1998 model a week ago.
Given the fact that it's a 12year old bike, it actually looked decent  :thumleft: The carb was giving some issues and it would not run more than a minute or two at a time, but when it did, it did so with authority.

Given the fact that the motor still pulled strong and there were no signs of smoke, I decided to leave the motor for now as-is.
The before shots:
h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

honda.jpg

Lets strip the old girl shall we?
04072010003.jpg

Online service manual and Metallica.. now I'm ready  :p
04072010015.jpg

On my way to the carb..Airbox and plastics removed.

04072010013.jpg

Modified choke plate.
Most likely a mod that Runner did 10 years ago. The stock choke plate has the nasty habit of losing it's parts which subsequently ends up in the motor  :-[
04072010014.jpg

The two little screws that held it in place were about to let go!! Just as well that I decided to tear into the bike  ;)
Quite a lot of dust visible on the sides of the carb too :mad:
The previous owner was running a bone dry air filter.  :xxbah:

04072010022.jpg

After a discussion with runner, I realized that this is no standard Xr600 motor.
It sports a NH4 (HRC) Head which is slightly taller than stock, 628cc in combination with a HRC cam and upgraded clutch.
It's at this point that I REALLY felt like handing the previous owner a bitch-slap for poorly maintaining it.