Dar Es Salaam to Capetown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
Hello, first post on this forum.

OK, this may just be dreaming, but I am looking at the possibility of flying my own bike into Dar from the UK and riding down to Capetown via Zambia, Bots and Namibia towards the end of 2011.

I realise that I'd be there at the beginning of the rains, but hopefully early enough to avoid the worst of it, but my first concern is time.  Would it be do-able in around three weeks?  I wouldn't be doing anything particularly gnarly, but it is a little difficult to get a handle on the distances involved.

Also, how mad is Dar?  Is it likely to take me ages to get the bike out from the airport?  I'm hoping that flying the bike in will be a much better bet than by ship which I know can mean massive delays.

I've rented a few times in SA (few of my reports are on ADVrider) and I estimate the the break even point for shipping v renting (if indeed that were possible in Tanz) is about 3 weeks (coincidentally the maximum time I can take off), also it's getting too stressful riding on the loose stuff on someone elses GS  :eek:

Cheers

Three Dawg