ATGATT, BMW On Call, Bike First Aid & Good Guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ysterman

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Had a very exiting riding weekend planned with Lesotho as the main ingredient, and it still turned out to be just as good ? however, unfortunately there was an incident which took us a while to sort out and we lost some time, so in the end we missed out on some of the action. But, that just means we have to go back again ?

So, yet another thread on an accident ? but these are the things that I thought somebody else could learn from. A long story short ? my cousin & his wife joined a couple of guys (also on the forum) and me on this ride. They (cousin & wife) haven?t been riding for long and came of (S29 24.717 E29 49.533) ? not sure what happened, sounded like they lost the front wheel ? it was also flat after the accident. Anyway, a couple of notes:

ATTGAT ? they didn?t have full ATGATT and they were ?lucky? ? however, his wife injured her knee badly (looked pretty gruesome, but nothing broken ? very lucky) and will need a skin graft. Both of them lots of bruises & cuts ? so unnecessary and could have been avoided.

BMW On Call ? don?t depend on them in need, pretty useless on a Saturday afternoon miles away from Gauteng ? make your own plans ? Easy Info & all these other info service also useless. Ride to the nearest town (if at all possible) and ask for a 24 hr tow service for the bike.

Bike First Aid ? luckily there was a first aid kit & some other meds. An ambulance was luckily on its way pretty soon, so we decided to only give Myprodols (however I think the OBS worked better). As mentioned the knee looked pretty smashed and she was on lots of pain, but turned out OK. A space blanket was used to make some shade between two bikes. Point is that I would have liked to be in a better position to attend to them, make them more comfortable and knew if it was OK to dish out the OBS! Need to find a bike accident first aid course!

Good Guys ? this is the guys that I rode with - was supportive, gave advice, helped out, took control, did everything ? just awesome thru the entire incident and the weekend ? never once showed even the slightest sign that their weekend plans were just messed up!

Sorry forum guys & girls ? there will be no pictures of this.

On behalf of my cousin & his wife, a million thanks to you, they are forever grateful ? BMAD, RTR & Kevin.