Laaiplek Run - Sunday 18th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of us that ride what an awesome day.

Sunday morning 6am :D my alarm went off and as soon as I came to my senses I heard the wind blowing :( ...aaah sh**t but by the time I was geared up and I got the bike out of the garage the wind had died 8) , not a breath. The sun was starting to smile over the Boland mountains and I knew we were going to have a good ride. :D

The plan was to meet in Malmsbury and get onto the gravel immediately.

As I got to Malmsbury the KTM riders arrived, Amir on the Vstrom and Toni and Tracey on the XT660 were there already.

We all filled up with juice and Peter arrived on the Dakar.

DSC00001Medium.jpg

DSC00002Medium.jpg

We left Malmsbury at 7.30am ..what a pleasure to ride with punctual people :)

At the first cross road we re grouped.
DSC00005Medium-1.jpg

2007-02-18-01Medium.jpg

The gravel road takes us right to Moorreesburg and after probably 1km of tar we hit the gravel again.. after about 20km we need to turn right..GPS says so and so I stop 5 meters from the road and two nameless KTM riders come past so fast that they don't even see Amir and I waving :oops: . The rest of the riders arrive and we wait for then to get to the next intersection where MadAl phones them to call them back.
:D

Oom Erik who own the farm at the junction comes out while we wait and invites us all for coffee :) . Wow West Coast hospitality..we decline though as coffee will really make us late. But he invites us back to visit some other time.

We get to the Berg River
DSC00008Medium-1.jpg

Check the tyres on the VStrom. :D
DSC00009Medium-1.jpg

We get to our first gate, I open and MadAl closes them and after about the third gate we encounter about 400 meter of SAND :shock: . I am in front so no problem for me but Toni and Tracey stop as this is not a place for pillion riding. Toni makes Tracey walk :oops: to the next T junction and off we go again.

We are all getting hungry and so opt for tar for the last 30km to Laaiplek.
DSC00018Medium-1.jpg

DSC00016Medium-1.jpg

DSC00015Medium.jpg

Clockwork Orange wanted to make a statement.
DSC00014Medium-1.jpg

2007-02-18-06Medium.jpg

The four KTM riders took the West Coast Road home, Toni and Tracey went to visit a friend on the coast and Peter, Amir and I took the gravel roads home.

Thanks to Peter, Amir, Dave, Alan, Jimmy, George and Toni & Tracey for joining me.