Unfinished Business - Lesotho - Still!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmad

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Last year in November, RTR, African Sky and myself decide to do an epic journey through Lesotho for 4 days. All does not go according to plan and the trip is abandoned on day two! https://www.wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3790

So the plan for this past weekend was to attempt to finish the trip, but due to time constraints do a small adjustment to the route. �± 1400km in two days :wink:

Saturday morning we met up at Villiers at 6.00 am, headed for Harrismith on the N3 for breakfast and plan the trip.
Hit a small bit of mist rain along the way and the weather looks a bit threatening
Harrismith.jpg

Readyforaction.jpg

Instead on planning to go down Sani, we decided to go up as it may be easier if it is wet :roll:. So we head off for Mooiriver. (little do we know that this was a good decision - Sani Top was packed to the brim that night)
Through Winterton
Winterton.jpg

Along the way
Ysterman.jpg

Near Sterkfontein
Sterfonteindam.jpg

We had a pleasant ride all the way through to Nottingham road and the weather was clearing nicely!
Nottingham road
Nottinghamroad.jpg

_cruising.jpg

About 5kms after this pic, tragedy struck :shock:
Ontheroad.jpg

Debbie and Eden, riding on a Dakar came off around one of the twisties. This was a heart stopping moment as i was riding behind them and the road looked a mess! Rider and pillion, bike and personal effects strewn all across the road.
Debbie was in a lot of pain and was bleeding from the knee. At first glance it looked like a broken leg!
We moved everything out the road and setup a very nice emergency centre on the side of the road. A couple of hours later, Debbie and Eden were on the way to Pietermaritzburg in an ambulance and the bike on it's way to Curry's Post for a sleepover!

See post below
https://www.wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5357

After a quick consultation, the remaining 4 of us decided to continue with our adventure.
The loteni road is a must for all DS riders
_Bridge.jpg

We headed on towards Himeville and found accommodation at the ever popular Himeville Arms in the backpackers.

After a good meal, couple of drinks and noisy Sharks supporters, we had a good nights rest.

Early Sunday morning we headed out for Sani Pass.
Sani.jpg

Lots of water on the road
_Water.jpg

Sani2.jpg

The road was awesome, very technical and lots more rugged than on our last trip in November.
I devised a way to mount my camera on my jacket and film the journey up the pass.
Clip from the mounted camera
_mount.jpg

As soon as i have the video made up and hosted, i will post on the forum.

Unfortunately, my camera did not quite like the idea itself and subsequently broke completing the last trecherous section, so no clip of that!

Had breakfast at Sani top and headed off towards Northern Lesotho. The ride was uneventful, but awesome scenery and stunning roads to ride. Near the Kao Mine road it started to rain, then hail :shock: and that was sore.

We had until 2.00pm to make the turnoff to Monatsa border post in order to get there in time before it closes, but only arrived at the turnoff, extremely tired at 2.30pm. At places we were only traveling at 20km/h due to the rain and hail. That was a tough stretch!

We headed for Caledonspoort and straight home at low flying speed!

Big day - started at 6.30am, got home at 6.45pm!
Not the success we were hoping for, but we have an excuse to continue the Unfinished Business saga.

Lesotho is not for sissies.. I will be back! :twisted: