Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BEFORE YOU BUY A 1150GS 1150GSA LOOK OUT FOR THIS  (Read 8868 times)

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
BEFORE YOU BUY A 1150GS 1150GSA LOOK OUT FOR THIS
« on: July 31, 2010, 10:46:37 pm »
 :deal:

Please add information for prospective new owners of second hand bikes, that you feel they ought to know and things they need to look out for, before spending the money.

please keep the threads clean of spam.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: BEFORE YOU BUY A 1150GS 1150GSA LOOK OUT FOR THIS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 11:13:59 pm »
Check fuel and oillevels.
Thats it. Nothing more to look for. :peepwall: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Gypsybaron

• My mind is like an eight lane highway - gridlocked!
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pick a direction, not a destination, and ride!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 01:04:48 am »
Try to make sure of the history of the bike - service history.

Check the spoke tension on the wheels - tap each spoke, all should sound basically the same. If one is too high, it's under too much tension. If it sounds dull, it is not tightened properly. If there is a big discrepancy on a wheel, the owner probably didn't have it serviced regularly, or hit a pothole and doesn't want to tell you the wheel is stuffed.

Check wheel bearing play / final drive backlash. Especially true after 150000+ km. YES, one hundred and fifty thousand kilometers!
ďAll education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a childís coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.Ē Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go." Randy Travis - Three Wooden Crosses

Offline lonerider

• aka Jason
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Stellenbosch super-sluiper
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 01:40:35 am »
Check the rubber boots on the shaft drive ends for signs of leaks and damage.

For the ABS models, make sure you can easily switch off the ABS without hassles. (Hold down the ABS button whilst turning ignition on - ABS light on dashboard should remain solidly lit to indicate ABS disabled.)
[snip]
I do not think that dying is a good idea.
Living doing something that you love is a good idea.
Living until you die is a good idea. If living happens to kill you it means you made a mistake, but we are human, and humans make mistakes, so go for it, enjoy it, live until you die, rather than not living for your whole life.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 08:25:57 am »
Check around the rear of the motor for oil, residue, it may indicate a leaking crankshaft rear seal, check shocks for excessive sag, the GS ones can get really "pap" as they get older.
Check discs for movement they should float not rattle :biggrin:
Check front ball joint for tears in rubber, should not be any play. never had an issue, but you asked... 8)

A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline PeterO

• Ultimate Pickup Line
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 09:04:07 am »
OK I bought mine and had quite a bit to do to bring it up to scratch, but here are the main ones.

Calipers were sticking ... easy job just time consuming ... do it yourself so no cost, though pads are not cheap.

Discs .... almost R10,000 for new discs, but you can have your old ones ground by Waterjet (Fidel is a WD), or with some effort he can make new ones but it will take lots of time; worth the wait at 1/3 of the price!

Throttle Bodies ... this is a major one.  The bushes holding butterfly shaft that runs through the throttle bodies wears.  You can hear a clacking sound coming from the cam that the throttle cable runs over.  If they're badly worn you cannot tune the bike and it runs very unevenly.  Riding offroad can be a challenge with all the jerking. New throttle bodies ... about R10,000.  You can have them rebuilt by Colin Brown in Milnerton for R3,750

If you want your saddle recovered ... Less than R200 by Peter in Brooklyn close to Paarden Eiland.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 11:35:31 am »
OK I bought mine and had quite a bit to do to bring it up to scratch, but here are the main ones.

Calipers were sticking ... easy job just time consuming ... do it yourself so no cost, though pads are not cheap.

Discs .... almost R10,000 for new discs, but you can have your old ones ground by Waterjet (Fidel is a WD), or with some effort he can make new ones but it will take lots of time; worth the wait at 1/3 of the price!

Throttle Bodies ... this is a major one.  The bushes holding butterfly shaft that runs through the throttle bodies wears.  You can hear a clacking sound coming from the cam that the throttle cable runs over.  If they're badly worn you cannot tune the bike and it runs very unevenly.  Riding offroad can be a challenge with all the jerking. New throttle bodies ... about R10,000.  You can have them rebuilt by Colin Brown in Milnerton for R3,750

If you want your saddle recovered ... Less than R200 by Peter in Brooklyn close to Paarden Eiland.

Forgot about the throttle bodies, quite true and the right one is usually the culprit... 8)
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Lem

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 11:05:33 pm »

Thanks Dr Peter

Ithe tips on the throttle bodies will come in handy for future. I musyt mention to our fellow dogs that your bike has got 125000km on the clock, that was when I met you before easter.

hope she gives you good servoce
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 04:51:36 pm »
Check for cracks in alluminium topbox carrier

Offline Great White

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 03:54:40 pm »

If you catch it early, you can still sort it out. If its too late, the box is gone.

Offline PeterO

• Ultimate Pickup Line
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 09:14:20 pm »

Thanks Dr Peter

Ithe tips on the throttle bodies will come in handy for future. I musyt mention to our fellow dogs that your bike has got 125000km on the clock, that was when I met you before easter.

hope she gives you good servoce

Just got back from some pretty rough riding along the Wild Coast ... 138,000 Km and not a problem, though I do need a new clutch now - I suppose that can be considered fair wear and tear?  :thumleft:

Offline Lem

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 11:11:10 pm »
Have you found out the benefits of fitting a ceramic clutch, and how does that quote against fitting a stock BMW one?we'd like to know, as I know I have to make this decision at some stage as well.

Offline Lem

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 11:12:21 pm »
There is a Ceramic kit in the Touratech guide. Said to last as long as the bike itself, then it must be blerrie good. Can someone find out, or share some experience?

Offline PeterO

• Ultimate Pickup Line
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 05:18:00 pm »
Have you found out the benefits of fitting a ceramic clutch, and how does that quote against fitting a stock BMW one?we'd like to know, as I know I have to make this decision at some stage as well.

I honestly can't see what benefit there will be from a ceramic clutch.  How much longer do you need a clutch to last than 130,000 Km?

I had mine re-bonded for R250 ... if it only lasts another 100,000 Km it's a bargain compared with the price of the ceramic one, or even a new BMW clutch plate (at about R1,200).

Offline CHANGUION

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 12:30:49 pm »

If you catch it early, you can still sort it out. If its too late, the box is gone.

Hi,

i checked my bike after seeing your comment and i do have hairline cracks in my carrier. how do i sort it out?
Life isnít an obstacle to overcome but an ADVENTURE TO LIVE!

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 12:39:31 pm »

Hi,

i checked my bike after seeing your comment and i do have hairline cracks in my carrier. how do i sort it out?

James at Fourways BMW has a contact - he sorted mine out for R600 bucks I think it was. Excl stickers...

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 12:57:07 pm »

Hi,

James at Fourways BMW has a contact - he sorted mine out for R600 bucks I think it was. Excl stickers...

James is the man.
Just remember it is made from magnesium and not aluminium so as I understand it is a very specific weld.
Had mine done and powder coated recently and it looks new.

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.

Offline Great White

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 01:05:58 pm »

Hi,

You can speak to Steven from Argoweld 011-795-2622 He fixed and reinforced it at the same time.

Offline rose44

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 09:22:51 pm »
I am thinking of buying a bmw 1150gs, 2001 model with 48000km on the clock! Would this be a wise decision?  Apparently its got a service record etc. Will have a look at the bike this coming weekend!

Offline rose44

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 09:28:14 pm »
I am thinking of buying a bmw 1150gs, 2001 model with 48000km on the clock! Would this be a wise decision?  Apparently its got a service record etc. Will have a look at the bike this coming weekend!