Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Planning 4 Day Ride out of Capetown... thoughts / advice appreciated  (Read 545 times)

Offline wilsod3

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Hey There Wild Dogs - I'm popping over from Sydney in early Sept for a conference & have convinced my boss that I need to arrive 4 days early to get over the jet lag....  I've got a DL650 rented for those for days and would like to see a bit of your beautiful country.
Here's my plan.
Day 1 - CPT to Infanta along the coastal b roads (take hand powered ferry over to Wilsand to stay the night).
Day 2 - Prince Albert via Mossel Bay, George, Oudtshoorn (I hear the pass from Oudtshoorn to Prince Albert is legendary)  (Is this too big a day?)
Day 3 - To Barrydale via Laingsburg - too the the high country.
Day 4 - back to CPT via Robertson, Worcester.

I'm keen on a relaxed trip so I can look around with a bit of dirt to qualify as an adventure ride.

Questions:  Am I being too ambitious?  Last trip was Argentina which I totally underestimated.  Ended up doing multiple 9 hour days just to pack it in.  Yuck.

My SA mates say I simply must see Knysna and the pass behind it.  Would this add too much?

Are there any other towns I should go to?  Is Infanta a bit too small?

What about personal security?  Any tips?

So many questions.  Your thoughts much appreciated.

Drew.

Offline tok-tokkie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
Re: Planning 4 Day Ride out of Capetown... thoughts / advice appreciated
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 04:56:35 pm »
September should be great.  Start of spring.  Winter sometimes goes on a bit so it may be wet.

1. I don't know about the hand powered ferry to Witsand unless you mean the one at Malgas.  That is an easy days ride.  350km per day is simple.  500 is ok solo if you ride from early to late daylight.  Depends more on when you can get started.  9 hours solo you say 'yuck' so you feel differently to me.

2. To Prince Albert.  OK.  Outeniqua pass is tar highway not much used by DS bikes out of choice. Montague pass alongside is gravel and much preferred.  Swartberg pass is the one over to Prince Albert.  It is lovely because it has not been upgraded so it is still a gravel pass more or less as built for animal drawn vehicles.

3. Laingsburg means going on the N1 tar highway.  Something we prefer to avoid unless we need to get somewhere.  I don't understand how you get to iy & Darrydale.  The gravel road Prince Albert to Seweweekspoort does go through since the dam was built on the Gamka river.  Personally I would go back over Swartberg pass & ride through Seweweekspoort & turn around & come back.  Seweweeks is one of my favourite places.  You could turn right at the top of Swartberg & go down to Gamkaskloof (Die Hel) & back out.  Doing those 3 things in 1 day will be memorable.

4. Robertson & Worcester is ok.  Nice wine territory & should be pretty in September.  I would go via Franschhoek as it is the nicer pass.  If you go Worcester to Cape Town then rather go over Du Toit's Kloof as against through the tunnel.

Offline eikeboom

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 07:10:27 pm »
Wildsod3 I like your thinking, organising yourself some time here - brilliant!
Can you organise us a few conferences Down Under?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 07:12:30 pm by eikeboom »
Let's go into the mountains...there's likely to be peace and quiet

Offline Jakes1

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:26:32 pm »
Here's what i'll do...
Day 1 - gravel roads to Witsand
Day 2 - Gravel + Tar to town called Patensie via Knysna, Plettenbergbay and Humansdorp.
Day3 -  From Patensie through Baviaanskloof ( will be the highlight of the trip ) to willomore      then see how you feel or what time it is, to maybe go to Prince Albert.
Day 4 - Prince albert to Cape town via Laingsburg ( Awesome gravel road ) then Touwsrivier, Worcester  Cape town.

Whatever you do it will be great.
Cheers
Jakes

Offline Sweetness

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 07:47:17 pm »
We live in Kleinrivier, Hankey which is 18 km from Patensie.  You are more than welcome to stay over.  There is an hotel in Patensie but to save money and spend time with the locals just let us know when (home away from home!!).  I work in Patensie and can always meet you to show you the way, etc., etc. If you want to stay at the hotel (Ripple Hill Lodge), we can meet you in Patensie for a drink.
I try to be the kind of person that, when my feet hit the floor in the morning, the devil says "Oh crap, it's up!!!"

Offline wilsod3

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 11:07:10 pm »
Thanks for these thoughts old dogs!  Much to think about.  Sweetness - thanks v. much for the offer but trip a bit too up in the air to be able to accept your kind offer.

D.

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 08:04:59 pm »
Hey Drew!

Did you get to ride 4 days in Sunny SA?

keen to hear your thoughts/impressions?!

Cheers
DYLAN 021 510 6455        bike@flyingbrick.co.za  
HARLEY 021 510 6455      service@flyingbrick.co.za
BEN 021 510 6455             sales@flyingbrick.co.za 
JAN 021 510 6455              web@flyingbrick.co.za
WHATS APP:                      067 278 1893