Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The future of DS riding. Are we destroying it?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • What's Updog?
Re: The future of DS riding. Are we destroying it?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 04:02:04 pm »
POPCORN
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline Inprogress

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 05:10:08 pm »
Noise pollution, probably one of the key issues regarding biking. What one of the first things most bikers do when they buy a bike..........loud pipe please  :) Sorry Akrapovic and Katoomers, your fault   :pot:
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 05:16:32 pm »
FYI

Stealth camping refers to the practice of finding a quiet spot away from people if possible where you camp for the night making great efforts to leave absolutely no evidence of your presence either while you are on site or after you leave.

If done right, this can never be a problem. If some-one goes and camps in a farmers backyard he's hardly Stealth camping now is he? :biggrin:

Don't enter land illegally and behave! That one sentence will keep you out of the twang 99% of the time.

And Tread Lightly! Live by these principles and you'll keep everybody happy.

Loud pipes are like quads and jet ski's. Only fun for the guy on top and irritating the shit out of everybody around him. Please if you have a loud pipe please try and go past ostrich camps as quietly as possible. I'm serious.

A lot of these Klein Karoo routes will be no-go areas if the loud pipe faarkers keep on doing their thing. Those birds run into the fences and you are the cause the financial loss to the owner.

A lot of these things are logical. If only all people could think.  :-\

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 05:21:57 pm »
IMHO regulation through permits works well. It does for beaches in aussie. Baviaans requires entry fee for permit, plus bikes must be roadworthy and licensed. I'm very happy to pay.

Agree and so do I, but only because I am fortunate enough to afford it at this stage of my life. However, what about the poor fellow members that really behave, follow the environmental rules and have respect for Mother Nature and surroundings but just cant afford permits etc? They do have a right to enjoy DS biking ass well! Live is already expensive and like the original post referred to the old hardcore 4x4 guys of old with their old Landys etc. A lot of the guys who can only afford a bottom range second hand DS bike are enthusiasts and although they cannot afford exclusive membership the right to enjoy their sport or recreation cant be denied from them? (Sout van die aarde manne)
I have had personal experience from people telling me; hope youre not affiliated with the WDs because of sh*t members caused in Brits!

However, Im proudly WD, but will behave like a good dog  :3some:

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 05:24:56 pm »

Loud pipes are like quads and jet ski's. Only fun for the guy on top and irritating the shit out of everybody around him. Please if you have a loud pipe please try and go past ostrich camps as quietly as possible. I'm serious.

I thought they was flapping their wings 'cos i make them happy! ;D

You right TR...take it easy going past the camps...a lot of the birds especially in remote areas are not used to ANY noise & skrik! :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

forex618

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 05:26:29 pm »
A permit costs the same as 3l petrol. Everyone can afford that.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 05:28:06 pm »

I have had personal experience from people telling me; hope youre not affiliated with the WDs because of sh*t members caused in Brits!

I have also had negative reactions / responses before when I mentioned WD's. But that is a whole other story.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 05:33:31 pm »

I have also had negative reactions / responses before when I mentioned WD's. But that is a whole other story.
Yip, same here.... for a small host of other reasons i stopped promoting WD as well....but its getting better! :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 05:51:58 pm »
+1.
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 06:04:49 pm »
+1.

Ok if that's the case it sounds fair. Thought it's the same with entrance rates that sky rocketed during the pas few years for 'inland (fresh water) fisherman'

Offline JaBa

• Pack Dog
  • she's cathing up
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 06:19:51 pm »
i'm with Boer at this stage,  :happy1:

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 06:46:08 pm »
Wedersydse respek bestaan nie meer nie, anders sou dinge baie anders gewees het. Seker omdat mens dit nie meer so maklik het soos jare gelede nie.

Soos TR s: Tread lightly!

Iets wat my pa my nou die dag weer ges het: Jou naam is al wat jy het, behou dit ten alle koste...
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 08:41:09 pm »
Quads and Jetski's - two things which on the face of it look like a lot of fun  - but annoy the crap out of me.

Its ALL got to do with the attitude of the riders, not the devices them selves. 

Any one been to Ponto Du Ouro?  Would be a great place if it wasn't for the smug SA tourists on quads screaming around all the time, everywhere like they own the  place! 

In my camp there was screaming match between a family of German tourists and a SA family because of the fat teenage SA daughter who seemed to like riding virtually over everybody in her path.  Had to jump out of her way myself, she would deliberately ride straight for you at speed!  So I actually supported the Germans!  Her parents just sat on their asses all day drinking brandy and coke and clearly couldn't give a damn!  Its people like that who stuff it up for everybody!

Same goes for jets ski's IMO.  Nice devices but there is always some d!!s that MUST do a million donuts 2 meters off shore, right in front of everyone, when they have the whole ocean to play in, right when you are trying to relax on a Sunday afternoon.  He probably fondly thinks we are all admiring him, but doesnt realise that we would all gladly drown him if he would get a bit closer!

Always a few idiots that dont seem to give a damn about anyone else, who seem to take great joy at causing as much trouble as possible, which cause all the problems and give the entire thing a bad name!  The same people often express great surprise when some otherwise peaceful person wants to beat the crap out of them - but its always the same idiots!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:26:53 pm by alanB »
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline JamesXRV

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 09:17:38 pm »
How can you ride quads through the cederberg? Its a public road! Do you see quads on the N2?

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

...and, as well. My tool supplier have been doing 4x4 camping trips for 20 odd years. His words to me: when you find a nice spot, tell no one (difficult), because tomorrow it's in Getaway and the next time you go there...well, you get the picture.
If at first you don't succeed, take another swig of whiskey and try again...

Offline JamesXRV

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 09:48:13 pm »
Well spoken Ama Ride Ride! Coming from a "quad" background - so to speak, I have a pretty good idea of what went wrong. To be honest I have always believed the so-called "quad ban" is unconstitutional and a classic example of discrimination against a minority. Yes, i personally saw many hooligans on quads f%$king up everything around them, but i've also seen way more hooligans in cars; bakkies and on superbikes, dualsport bikes, Harleys, trucks and whatever, doing more damage to the environment and the general safety of the public. But, as quads was still "young" in this country, and most people (and authorities) don't even try to understand the theme, it was so easy to ban. Yes, and it wasn't regulated at all - so instead of finding a way to regulate it, we rather banned it. What have the quad-guys done? - we gave away our quads for record low prices and many of us tried DS bikes - like myself.
Well my opinion: it's not about the vehicle/machine, but the integrity or lack there-of, of the owner/rider. The DS community is still extremely lucky, as the author of this topic pointed out, i believe the "image" of the "BMW GS" thing saved it in a way. I mean, how can a rich guy riding a GS (or similar priced) bike be capable of ill-behaving? Yes, that's what the public-perception is.
The noise thing generally thrown towards quads and plastic bikes - all of them are sold as quiet or even more quiet than most DS bikes. It's the exhaust you fit afterwards to whichever bike/vehicle that fabricates the crazy noise. My ex-AT was as noisy as hell with its Arrow slip-on, spitting oil and decibels all over the environment - but nobody complained. Try that on a quad or plastic - they'll arrest you for "high-treasan". The Baviaans is a classic example, if you haven't been there, try it - Parksboard EC is a circuss!  :pot:

The thing to me is...besides never liking quads because it's got four wheels and you accelerate with your thumb (WTF?), I fundamentally don't have a problem with quads and their riders.

The problem comes in that as a DS rider, you pack your goeters, ride and ride and ride, get to your destination, chill, explore a bit and bugger off again. Most non bikers sneak in with their fancy SUV's, set up camp, and then him and his kids rip up the place with quads. All that the farmers see, is a helmet and a thing that looks like a bike and that it's f#*ing annoying. Next time another thing that looks like a bike enters with a helmet attached (me and you on our AT, GS, Tenere etc) guess what happens?

Case in point, there is a little piece of twee spoor near us where I usually took a short cut through to the Spar...until one day I got semi tangled up in a bundled up barbed wire fence that someone dragged across the path hidden over a crest. Why? Because where as I snuck passed ONCE a week, parents let their kids blast away for hours on end on Sunday afternoons on quads behind those houses.

Now I learned very early on in the past twenty years, that as a biker, you don't sh!t on your doorstep if you want to keep on doing what you love. That goes for blasting through a mountain pass, but not turning it into a race track...as the mockery of Helshoogte and Franschoek pass hass become because of some midlife crisis pricks who think they're Valentino Rossi on a Sunday morning going up and down 20 times trying to outdo their mate.

Respect where you ride, whoever else is there and who the place belongs to. 
If at first you don't succeed, take another swig of whiskey and try again...

Offline PG

• Pack Dog
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 10:04:27 pm »
Vir baie ouens is so 'n trip net 'n moerse gesuipery, drank doen ons WD's se name ook nie goed nie, want party ouens weet  net nie wanneer om op te hou nie.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 11:14:46 pm »

Now I learned very early on in the past twenty years, that as a biker, you don't sh!t on your doorstep if you want to keep on doing what you love.

Hence my post about the ostrich farmers.

Some city slicker might blast through here and the next thing we know us locals aren't welcome there anymore. "Julle bikers..."

Think people think.

Offline PG

• Pack Dog
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 11:31:50 pm »

Now I learned very early on in the past twenty years, that as a biker, you don't sh!t on your doorstep if you want to keep on doing what you love.

Some city slicker might blast through here and the next thing we know us locals aren't welcome there anymore. "Julle bikers..."

Ek verstaan jou argument, maar wat ek nie verstaan nie is, hoekom die boere soveel van hulle volstruis kampe reg langs die pad span? Daar is voertuie wat meer as bikes raas. Ek probeer nie die bikers verontskulig nie, maar ons weet 'n boer kan lekker hardkoppig/dom wees. Daar is 'n paar boere in my familie, jy kan hulle niks vertel nie.
Boer jy dalk met volstruise of is jy 'n semi city slicker van George?

Think people think.

Offline PG

• Pack Dog
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 11:34:07 pm »

Sukkel maar met die ge-quote en reply, ek dink ek verstaan hom nou.

Ek verstaan jou argument, maar wat ek nie verstaan nie is, hoekom die boere soveel van hulle volstruis kampe reg langs die pad span? Daar is voertuie wat meer as bikes raas. Ek probeer nie die bikers verontskulig nie, maar ons weet 'n boer kan lekker hardkoppig/dom wees. Daar is 'n paar boere in my familie, jy kan hulle niks vertel nie.
Boer jy dalk met volstruise of is jy 'n semi city slicker van George?

Think people think.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 11:37:47 pm »
Nee PG ek is 'n entoesiastiese DS biker in die Suid Kaap en ek sien wat is besig om te gebeur in die DS hemel van ons.

Ek kom wel van 'n plaas af. Ek besef sommige jaag verby sonder om te besef wat hulle doen, maar as mens mense kan attent maak daarop dat hulle skade aanrig luister 1 of 2 dalk...

Sommige dink dalk nou dis simpel. Dis daai selfde ouens wat kak en kou as die paaie toe gemaak word.