The future of DS riding. Are we destroying it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ama ride ride

Grey Hound
Reaction score
DS riding = Dual Sport. So if we look at that word it means riding on different surfaces.

Generally speaking, DS riding is still in its child shoes. However it’s one of the fastest growing segments of the biking market. Good or bad, that’s not for us to say.

Now let’s go and take something along the lines of DS riding and see what happened there.  --- 4X4 ing. --

Years ago when I was just a young oke. 4X4’s was a bit of a rarely and the okes who owned then usually was real and semi really type of a camel man. They mostly did that for the love for what they did. They rode old landies and croozers and jeeps wagoneers to get to the fishing spots, to get away from the crowd to get out there and enjoy the outdoors. Poser value was not yet invented. Then the 4X4’s got better and comfortable and suddenly every second rykgat bought one.
Most of these okes bought them just because they could. Now as with a toy, you must use it. And suddenly the beaches along our coast (for example) were being ride in their malle moer. We all know what happened next.

Look what is happening in the Hel and Baviaanskloof. Control is being implemented.

Back to DS biking.
More and more I read in RR’s that okes ride where they are not supposed to ride. They know it but got the attitude. “Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission” Suddenly “stealth” camping becomes fashion. One WD even says it’s the best kind of ride. Others ride to a spot just to do “stealth” camping. I am not saying it’s wrong but it can’t be right. Remember we are advertising in our RR’s what we do. And the next okes says. "Wow it looks lekker. Let’s do it."

I am merely pointing a pattern and the history.

So I ask. Where is DS riding heading?