Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The future of DS riding. Are we destroying it?  (Read 2254 times)

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • What's Updog?
Re: The future of DS riding. Are we destroying it?
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2010, 12:17:19 pm »
In the words of Ozzy Osbourne:

Sometimes, some fish eats cheese.

Roughly translated:  Some Fish that eats cheese, will only do so some of the time.  Meaning there is no constant or uniform pattern.

Same goes with bikers.  Some behave, some don't. Sometimes, even those that behave step over the line and piss people off.  Some people get pissed off easily, some don't.  Some with loud pipes drive by slowly, some with muted pipes behave like hooligans.  Some do both.

So:  Sometimes, some fish eat cheese.  ;)
I could'nt have not said it any better ;D

Well if you understand, My work here is done!   :thumleft:
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline Brink

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Confederate (all models)
  • Knob
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2010, 12:23:10 pm »
In the words of Ozzy Osbourne:

Sometimes, some fish eats cheese.

Roughly translated:  Some Fish that eats cheese, will only do so some of the time.  Meaning there is no constant or uniform pattern.

Same goes with bikers.  Some behave, some don't. Sometimes, even those that behave step over the line and piss people off.  Some people get pissed off easily, some don't.  Some with loud pipes drive by slowly, some with muted pipes behave like hooligans.  Some do both.

So:  Sometimes, some fish eat cheese.  ;)

Hallo Ou Diepseun

Like your explanation :thumleft:
I know nothing but I can not prove it,,,,,

Buks

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2010, 12:27:09 pm »
Sorry about the Orange script, next time i'll use red or blue  :imaposer:
No, and it's definelately not me on the jetski  :ricky:.....if it was, i wouldn't have had the time to take part in this forum.......... ;)

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2010, 12:28:01 pm »
There is a growing movement in the USA to restrict access to all public land to licensed riders on registered vehicles only - i.e. completely street-legal only.  No two-strokes (emission control) no noisy pipes, helmets, etc. etc.

From the above posts I can certainly follow their reasoning...

There are many really nice places to see in our country, but sadly they are being locked away from us due to the bad behaviour of a minority.
We have to clean up our own act - especially quad riders, I'm afraid.
People see them as playthings and so give them to youngsters to ride around in unsupervised.
Noise, damage to country roads and tracks results - and then the area is shut down by the owner...

...or the locals start throwing stones at you as you ride by.
(Been to Lesotho recently?)

Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Fidel

• Capo di Rompe Coglione
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • U KANTE KILLE ME
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2010, 12:52:50 pm »
I suppose some people do have the personality of a fish.

The fact is, we are socially dependant, intelligent, emotionally evolved creatures that also sometimes eat cheese. Our intelligence helps us guide our social involvement and emotional state. When we can no longer do this, we start blowing boubles again and go back to where we where 500 million years ago, under the sea.

Be interested, considerate and respectfull towards others and nature.

Boundries are ultimately man made. Mother nature has few. Consider them though, as it will make your social ineraction with the farmer you have just pissed off allot less...... gorgonzola.

AMA, stop stirring and get a bike that CAN actually go places that others cant.  ;)

Offline Doerengone

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • doc, see its like this...my avatar left me- again.
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2010, 12:57:51 pm »

Stealth is the art of not getting caught or seen. If you are noisy, it defeats the process.
KTM640 Adv, R1100GS.

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2010, 01:03:17 pm »
My point about development and the poor etc ?

Well if you seriously take the percentage of quads/plastics/DS bikes and 4 x4's combined and look at their impact on environment - compared to a single luxury estate/low cost housing/mine/industrial area - which would you presume have the biggest impact ?

Thus though all of the above is necessary - except obviously the recreational side - the recreational side is the only part of the problem to be banned or constantly thrown into the limelight.

How this ties in ? Well we can change our mindsets - a few of us can even become more attuned to bunny hugging and we can even trace in loud pipes for quieter ones  - in the grand scheme of things - even though every one can offer an example of hooliganism - 90% of all recreational riders are actually not to bad a hooligan. Even quadders and it is in fact more like 10 - maybe 20% who stuffs things up.

Still even if we "fix" those hooligans - I dare to say the powers that be will still legislate us in our moer in - just cause they can and we are the only part of the "problem" they can actually do something about.

(mmmm..............sounds like speeding - 80% of resources dedicated to 20% of the "transgressions")

And for the record I ride a GS 1150 - with std pipe and I don't trespass and slow down for animal and children and villages - even the idiots and even when on my quad and plastic as well !!!!

Just kinda irritates me that :

1) WE - as is recreational riders/drivers off all sorts are "victimized" cause we are soft targets
2) WE - are unable to "defend" ourselves due to infighting between the different factions.
3) When there are suddenly to many rules - I feel the uncontrollable urge to break a few
4) I Refuse to grow up !!!!!

Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2010, 01:06:31 pm »
Betcha we'll have the same kak when we're all riding electric bikes.

Namby-pambys'll be scared of us creeping up on the fauna and flora, all secret like.... :o
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2010, 01:17:42 pm »
Betcha we'll have the same kak when we're all riding electric bikes.

Namby-pambys'll be scared of us creeping up on the fauna and flora, all secret like.... :o
Yes they will call it stealth riding. You should be slightly more noisier you know....otherwise the little creatures won't hear you & get in the way.....maybe you can all put clothes pegs on your spokes please?
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Oupa Foe-rie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Oom Foe-rie was hacked by a Mod.
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2010, 01:24:20 pm »
Before I took these two piccies I went passed the ostriches and then I realised that I want to take a piccie of the small ones. I turned back and took these two piccies from the road next to the camp in which the ostriches were .............................................

And before I forget ....................... my Vara is fitted with two Leo Vinces. Loud pipes can behave themselves  ;)

Yamaha XT1200Z ........... Take your soul everywhere and back

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2010, 01:30:15 pm »
Die groot voels is seker doof
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Oupa Foe-rie

• Race Dog
  • Oom Foe-rie was hacked by a Mod.
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2010, 01:31:50 pm »

:laughing4: AMA jou gat man ................  :imaposer:
Yamaha XT1200Z ........... Take your soul everywhere and back

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2010, 01:41:35 pm »

Skerp, ek sÍ!  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Buks

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2010, 01:56:25 pm »
badballie -  :thumleft: I think you summed it the best!, and thanks for having the insight to see that not everybody on a quad or plastic is a hooligan! The 80-90% that doesn't screw up, is probably the "real" off-road riders, but they also need food and fuel, thus the problem of not being able to enter a small town legally and support a poverty stricken community. :xxbah:

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Race Dog
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2010, 02:18:52 pm »
I am not a purist - but love motorcycles - whether they have 2 - 3 or even 4 wheels and have ridden almost every conceivable variant - and have found mostly good people - whether they ride quads, plastics, DS bikes or wear colors and do the occasional doughnut ......

Even the okes revving until 2 am on a rally site .....................hahahahahahhaa

As always a few spoil it for the rest - but unfortunately because it is recreational (well actually a way of life for most) - a few is all that is needed by most to ban and legislate the hell out of "us"
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline The Badger

• Race Dog
  • Thank you SADF
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2010, 03:08:51 pm »
Tread softly with what ever you are doing.

We have been doing this for the last 15 yrs with our plastic bikes. We have cultivated good relationships with the locals ie handing out soccer balls to the kids and not racing past clothing on the fence, and with the local farmers by going to their monthly meetings.

Thats why I enjoy my standard pipe, when they realise theres bikes we are past already.

Common sense and respect..... thats all it takes.

Like everything......... we will just have to travel further to find our little pieces of heaven on this f$cked up planet.
Good friends and fresh mud......

It is not about what you ride...... but WHO you ride with !

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2010, 03:47:28 pm »
It's all about respect.
If we can't respect a land owners private property/gates, can't respect a familys' right to peace and quiet as you ride past their farmhouse, can't respect alarming his livestock by riding by too fast or with a loud pipe, - how can we expect respect from those people and be allowed to ride where we would like to?
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2010, 07:58:26 pm »
Before I took these two piccies I went passed the ostriches and then I realised that I want to take a piccie of the small ones. I turned back and took these two piccies from the road next to the camp in which the ostriches were .............................................

And before I forget ....................... my Vara is fitted with two Leo Vinces. Loud pipes can behave themselves  ;)

Fourie hierdie broeipaar is op die hoek soos jy kom vanaf Witsand oor die Duiwenhoksrivier en
regsdraai na Vermaaklikheid. Hulle behoort aan Thys Raal en die broeipaar sien meer bikes in een jaar
as wat ek en jy saam sien!! Ek dink hulle het lankal gatvol geraak vir weghol!! :imaposer:
Die probleem kom wanneer daai kuikens so ses maande oud raak. Hulle skrik dan elke keer as een in
die trop poep!!
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline JaBa

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • she's cathing up
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2010, 10:12:58 pm »
This is the 2nd day I'm scanning the thread and still cant make up my mind. Its one thing to tell everyone what you do and how you perceive others actions, but what is the solution (that is if we really want one, if not what is the point of this discussion?)
The thing is that due to the lack of a regulating authority the biking community will have to regulate it self or face the consequence of being regulated by government.
Is it TR that mentioned Tread Lightly? If you go and read that sight it is clear that a USA governmental department started a project which was later registered as a non profit organisation. Note their objectives and also the partners and sponsors. My idea is that you have an authority that take all parties views in consideration to establish a situation acceptable to all. I want to compare it to our own SA Hunters Association (well almost) that strive to bring a ballans to issues off commen concern.
As already mentioned, it is clear that our community is so divided that I'm afraid we will not be able to do this. As example: You'll need a well known figure, respected by most within the community at large, to start such an organisation from the Bikers side. My vote goes to Uncle Simon and ........... well, let the response prove my point.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2010, 10:35:22 pm »
I was involved at one point with someone who wanted to start a Tread Lightly "chapter" (for lack of a better word) in South Africa. At that time (about 2 years ago) it was denied because someone from SA had already obtained the rights 6 months before us.

I wonder what became of him. :-\