Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The future of DS riding. Are we destroying it?  (Read 2255 times)

Offline JaBa

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • she's cathing up
Re: The future of DS riding. Are we destroying it?
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2010, 10:58:00 pm »
I was involved at one point with someone who wanted to start a Tread Lightly "chapter" (for lack of a better word) in South Africa. At that time (about 2 years ago) it was denied because someone from SA had already obtained the rights 6 months before us.

I wonder what became of him. :-\

Ja Fok, I smell another money making racket, That oke will wait until we arnt able to pis around the block without some sort of license "Only available from XYZ" at cost of $ renewable every x months after completing training Y at $$$.
OR
Obtain license yourself and wait five years for it like gun license.

I give up and as mentioned earlier: Ride until we cant ride no more. Where I want, when I want, with what I want and how I want: small print; within the current laws applicable on me.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2010, 11:12:21 pm »
I dont know who he is or what he want's to do, but the guys I knew wanted to run it as an awareness campaign like Think Bike, getting the info out there and getting guys to support it and live it out of free will.

We have two options:
1. We hope and pray that a regulatory body emerges from somewhere and that we can can continue with at least some sort of recognisable freedom.
2. Farmers get to know that they can trust a guy with a paw sticker on his helmet and lets you through. This will have to be very organised. Like the ride leader identifies the section he want to ride beforehand.

It's already clear out of this thread that WD's with "paws" are not the saints we'd like to believe. More than one person said that they've had negative reactions when mentioning WD's.

A "Tread Lightly" insignia might be better for such things.

The guys I knew specifically wanted to use the Tread lightly principles to get riders into special rides in some Cape nature areas.

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2010, 10:39:14 pm »
Two wrongs will never make a right, but I have to say this; I have been told that I am stuffing up indigenous vegetation in an area today known as Khayalitsha, a sprawling shantytown. This could still be excused, it is a human settlement. But I have been chased off Vermont's dunes by the same
"greenie" that developed the housing there. And a certain character in Stellenbosch who threatened us with SAP for riding in Eden forest, who then get named as co-applicant for a golf development in this same Eden forest.
A generation of irresponsible quadriders cannot come close to the damage done to nature by one golf development. Wiping out natures plants and high water demand forever on.
I ride where I want to, you deal with the consequences. To my children's children's children.
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2010, 10:44:45 pm »
I ride where I want to, you deal with the consequences. To my children's children's children.

Remember the other day? "I shoot you, I shoot you, you may not be here"
:imaposer:

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2010, 09:49:00 am »
Best line ever ?

East Rand mining co - safety and security directive to us ..................keep the plastics off the mine dumps as they are %#@^$ up the dumps ?

Well I let em bee - my excuse was always just - give me WR 250 and willgo chase em - otherwise can't catch em  >:D

Could never figure out though how exactly you fark up a mine dump

And no - it was not a health and safety issue either lol
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2010, 09:53:52 am »
Best line ever ?

East Rand mining co - safety and security directive to us ..................keep the plastics off the mine dumps as they are %#@^$ up the dumps ?

Well I let em bee - my excuse was always just - give me WR 250 and willgo chase em - otherwise can't catch em  >:D

Could never figure out though how exactly you fark up a mine dump

And no - it was not a health and safety issue either lol
Many years ago me & a few mates went to go play on the dumps & had an absolute jol!! So we thought we would go back the following day & have us some more. When we got to the superbowl that we played in the previous day it had all but disappeared....the whole thing had caved in & was unrecognisable....we never rode dumps again!
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Live and let live (to a point)
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2010, 10:07:18 am »
I was involved at one point with someone who wanted to start a Tread Lightly "chapter" (for lack of a better word) in South Africa. At that time (about 2 years ago) it was denied because someone from SA had already obtained the rights 6 months before us.

Ja Fok, I smell another money making racket, That oke will wait until we arnt able to pis around the block without some sort of license "Only available from XYZ" at cost of $ renewable every x months after completing training Y at $$$.
OR

I give up and as mentioned earlier: Ride until we cant ride no more. Where I want, when I want, with what I want and how I want: small print; within the current laws applicable on me.

Tread Lightly! is a non-profit organization in the United States with the mission "to empower generations to enjoy the outdoors responsibly through stewardship to further the goals of responsible and ethical recreation."[1] It was started by the United States Forest Service in 1985, but became a nonprofit in 1990 "to maximize the programís effectiveness." [2]

Ya boet, ride where you want, how you want and soon you won't even be able to want anymore ::)

1200GS

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2010, 10:15:25 am »
Pistonpete - we use to have this nice stepped one we rode - and the one day gunning it - suddenly just see a edge and brake like mad ...juts just stopped - whole section been "spayed away by those big water cannons they use at the reclamation works !

But on the most if you chose your dumps wisely - you could play safely for a long time - ie Chimes etc
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline JaBa

• Pack Dog
  • she's cathing up
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2010, 07:30:23 pm »

OR

Tread Lightly! is a non-profit organization in the United States with the mission "to empower generations to enjoy the outdoors responsibly through stewardship to further the goals of responsible and ethical recreation."[1] It was started by the United States Forest Service in 1985, but became a nonprofit in 1990 "to maximize the programís effectiveness." [2]

Ya boet, ride where you want, how you want and soon you won't even be able to want anymore ::)

Please axplain "soon you won't even be able to want anymore"  >:( do you want me to live forever  ???
I see it in a way that every generation had and will have their thrils. By the time my kids kids want to play thay will be going over those fallen in mine dumps with STAR WARS hover cycles.

The point I want to make is that I need to enjoy myself (responsibly)
BUT
Todays lifestyle do not permit me to get involved in bunny hugging. If I'm respondible, living out my believes, the future will look after itself.

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Live and let live (to a point)
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2010, 04:28:24 pm »
Relax JaBa the point I'm making is not aimed at you, it is aimed at the powers that be ie: Governments or controlling bodies who want to regulate everything and anything, and have the power to do it because there is not a strong opposition to them going ahead and regulating the off road community. Yes there is the "NOW" setup. There have been numerous changes in the people representing the various sectors that make up this body since it first got underway, five or six years ago. The jostling for points / position within the organisation, if it wasn't so sad, would be hilarious. One needs to ask the question, "What have they done since the beach driving ban was introduced?" Which was just before they were formed.
Because we "DS riders" and WD's are a loose knit family of people with a common interest but no formal body, we are unable to have any input into "NOW" or similar institution whose actions or decisions could have a major impact on our lifestyle and we are forced to rely on organisations such as NOW to hopefully fight the fight and we might or might not be covered.  :ricky:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 04:29:02 pm by Billbob »
1200GS

Offline JaBa

• Pack Dog
  • she's cathing up
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2010, 09:11:35 am »
Relax JaBa the point I'm making is not aimed at you, it is aimed at the powers that be ie: Governments or controlling bodies who want to regulate everything and anything, and have the power to do it because there is not a strong opposition to them going ahead and regulating the off road community. Yes there is the "NOW" setup. There have been numerous changes in the people representing the various sectors that make up this body since it first got underway, five or six years ago. The jostling for points / position within the organisation, if it wasn't so sad, would be hilarious. One needs to ask the question, "What have they done since the beach driving ban was introduced?" Which was just before they were formed.
Because we "DS riders" and WD's are a loose knit family of people with a common interest but no formal body, we are unable to have any input into "NOW" or similar institution whose actions or decisions could have a major impact on our lifestyle and we are forced to rely on organisations such as NOW to hopefully fight the fight and we might or might not be covered.  :ricky:

Cant express myself better, I :notworthy: before you.

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2010, 10:57:29 am »
Interesting topic. In part I agree with the sentiments and also that we need to "protect" our right to take our DS bikes on gravel and off road.

Notice though I mentioned right - not privilege .......... yes exactly - we pay for our toys, we pay taxes and we pay lic fees and umpteen other taxes etc as well .................but because it is seen as a pastime - our right may be taken away from us in various venues - whilst locals whom does not pay a thing towards anything - may desecrate the land a few kms away !!!!

Somehow environmental protection does not extent to them ? Not only poor locals - what about big corporates with industrial/mining/agricultural activities ?

What about the rich and housing developments in parks areas ?

Case in point - Zimbali - declared an eco estate - whilst million rand development and houses are being put up destroying 90% of the coastal land it is built on - putting up a few, "be careful of animal" signs to sooth the bunny huggers and imposing a speed limit.

The irony being that before the development started - pieces of coastal area like that were being closed of to bikes and 4x4's for damaging it - a few tracks and spoors - compared to almost total destruction in the name of development and called ECO !!!!!

One of our riding spots here have just been totally destroyed - turned from a few tracks in the hills to acres of low cost housing - also after bunny huggers accused offroaders of damaging the environment - now those same people are applauding the housing development

So although two wrongs do not make a right - my point of view is it is way to easy for landowners, environmentalists and governing bodies to jump on the bandwagon when it comes to recreational activities and accusing people of damaging the environment - whilst turning a blind eye when social or monetary issues are involved!

And besides - why do we ride ? To conform and to be part of the same everyday rules and regulations ?

No we ride cause we need to be free and a little rebellious at the same time .......

So I will abide by common sense and courtesy as well as a motto to not destroy nature unnecessary - but I will never subscribe to over regulation - they wanna close all the riding areas - then there will be a challenge to see how far we can push the envelope.

As for a voice from the off road community to speak up for ourselves and lobby against legislation - dream on - DS dont like quads dont like 4 x 4 dont like plastics and vice versa - we will never be able to "unite" thus never have a voice

The only voice we have ? Comes out of an Akro !!!!

Not really constructive. With all respect.

Your anger is vented at both "rich housing estates" (always the soft target for the citizens of Moral Heights) and "low cost housing". So do you suggest people stop breeding so there is no shortage of housing?

IMHO that has sweet FA to do with the issue at hand.

The issue at hand is responsible behaviour.

Talking about DS riding is like talking about "coloured people" - both are very broad terms that refer to people of different backgrounds, 'cultures' and behaviour. There are so many different types of bikes and types of riding as to make such a term almost meaningless. IMHO the problem lies less with the Africa Twin/GSA/Varadero/KLR crowd than with the "Ready to Race"/950SE/690Adv/HP2 crowd.

It's about intended application. As a HP2 owner I am aware of my actions (maybe not always, but I try to be mostly) and its consequences.

I can bet you that the type of riding someone like Trailrider does will never offend any landowner. However, I have seen forum members here doing their best to imitate Dakar sections or Erzberg - on land that does not belong to them. And yes, they give offence.

Don't shift the blame to 'greenies', 'golf estate developers', 'the ANC', 'the Illuminati', 'Ammway' or Luke Watson. Do some soul searching and take responsibility for your own actions.

That's what grown ups do.

Well said Jacko.  We need to define clearly the boundaries of what we are pronouncing.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2010, 11:04:32 am »
My take on this is that we need to take responsibility when going OFF ROAD;
1. Take the land owner in consideration... i.e. get permission!
2. Take the land in consideration... i.e. tread lightly and take out what you take in.
3. Most importantly take the fauna and flora in consideration... DO NOT MAKE NEW TRACKS!
On the other hand Darrell... there will always be dirt roads, probably even more in future as the existing tar infrastructure fades away outside cities... >:D

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2010, 08:57:38 am »
My take on this is that we need to take responsibility when going OFF ROAD;
1. Take the land owner in consideration... i.e. get permission!
2. Take the land in consideration... i.e. tread lightly and take out what you take in.
3. Most importantly take the fauna and flora in consideration... DO NOT MAKE NEW TRACKS!
On the other hand Darrell... there will always be dirt roads, probably even more in future as the existing tar infrastructure fades away outside cities... >:D

True!  The problem is the some WD don't seem to see the need for such a commonsense issue.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2010, 06:32:29 pm »
I agree with badballie, the golf developments is a case in point; they'll develop a golf estate in a sensitive area, but the developers fuck up only 3quarters of the veld and call it 'the links' and get praised for their "sensitive developing" WTF!!
Jacko, "breeding" must take a fair share of the blame, if I look at how the Western Cape has changed ridingwise because of housing pressure, a lot of playparks closed to us. Killarney MX and roadracing complex is under growing pressure because of encroaching housing. Makhulu idiot; buy a house next to a racetrack and then complain about the noise!!
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2010, 09:09:17 am »

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2010, 09:58:07 am »
I don't see a Trailrider sticker on there...wtf... ;D
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2010, 02:58:12 pm »
I didn't read the whole thread, just the original post

Unfortunately when someone does something cool, every other yokel will want to do it too. Before you know it the coolness is gone.
This shouldn't bother the 'real adventure biker' though. If you started with DS biking because you love the outdoors and you love bikes and NOT because you wanted to look cool then there is no reason why you shouldn't continue long after the 'fad' has worn off.

The difference between 4x4 and Adventure biking is that every asshole can get behind the wheel of a car and push over some trees in a neighbouring country. Not everyone has the guts and the determination ride a bike for hundreds of km through tough terrain.

The DS market may be growing but it also has the largest customer turnover. There is a shocking amount of low mileage second-hand DS bikes available because people like the idea of adventure riding but they just can't hack it for more than a year or two. They lose interest and move on to boats, quads, kite-surfing, etc.

As for the hooligans messing it up for the rest of us; there is nothing you can do about it short of personal intervention. When you see guys doing something wrong, go up to them and tell them to stop. If you are too scared, tough. If you report them to the authorities, don't be surprised if a bike-ban follows, tough.