Railway tracks and Bloudraad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minora

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
This is not a ride report, more in the line of things to watch out when riding:
1: TRAINS
2: "Bloudraad" fence

Myself and Mullet went for 2 outrides during he past month, nothing planned, we just drive out towards the east of PTA, the first dirt road we reach, we get on and ride.

First incident
NEVER RIDE DIRECTLY ON THE RAILWAY TRACK

We were heading from Cullinan, following the railway service roads until we reached the N4 Witbank highway, dead end.  We needed to cross the N4 and no trains has passed so we decided to get on the railway track.

A parallel railway track with about a 2 meter gap between the two tracks. We battled on the loose rocks between the tracks  due to the fact that we were riding in a "V" shaped channel.

And Murphy struck: While in between the tracks a speeding train dead ahead  :eek:  I tried to get the bike out of the "V" channel but no luck so we dropped the bikes and took cover. So both of us, in the channel next to the bikes with a speeding train less that 1.5 meters from us!

After the train and adrenaline has passed we got off the track ASAP.  No pictures but we both took a mental note to never do it again  >:D

Second Incident

When riding through an open  of veld, take notice if there are fence posts.

Mullet in front and myself following on his heals, the road took a nasty 45 degree turn and Mullet lost his footing, therefor lost some speed (luckily  ;D) and the next thing I sow was the front of his XT lifting but he ain't moving anymore  ???

A single line of "bloudraad", shoulder high cut across his chest and he can't move, the wire pulling him backwards while his throttle is still engaged.  Luckily he lost quite a lot of speed in the corner  :thumleft:

We ripped the post out of the ground, gulped down some water and headed back to the main road where the only fence is the one running parallel with us  on the side of the road.

(Mullet, jy moet minder hardloop en bietjie jou biceps begin oefen  ;D)
100_1294.jpg

100_1295.jpg

100_1293.jpg

100_1296.jpg

100_1298.jpg