Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: West to East and back again (Cape to Knysna) An alternative to the Garden Route  (Read 3238 times)

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Along your route there are little labels with pic. numbers - how do you do that?
On long trips, I sometimes forget where I took a certain pic.

Can you post the route of your forest exploration - I thought I knew the area, but have no idea where that is.

Nice meeting you too ;D

The labels: My Oregon 550 has a built in camera which does this for you (geotagging), however in this case I used my regular camera and simply marked the spot with the GPS every time I took a picture. I synchronised the camera to the GPS clock so it was easy to check which photo was taken where, thereafter I just renamed the waypoints in mapsource for a little more clarity.

As for the track of the forest. I will e-mail it to you. I prefer not to publish it on the forum since it was an illegal activity

Offline Operator

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
A LS original RR. :thumleft:

+1

LS...............Your ride report makes some of the roads look a lot better than when I travelled through there.
Thanks it was really an entertaining read.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Nice RR!

I recognize most of the pictures.

This used to be a perfect gravel road:

It is destroyed after every flood and they eventually just stopped repairing it (Botlierskop prefers it that way as it stops people from using the road and viewing the game for free ;))

That road is a real challenge after a flood believe you me! Looky here.

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
Along your route there are little labels with pic. numbers - how do you do that?
On long trips, I sometimes forget where I took a certain pic.

Can you post the route of your forest exploration - I thought I knew the area, but have no idea where that is.

Nice meeting you too ;D

The labels: My Oregon 550 has a built in camera which does this for you (geotagging), however in this case I used my regular camera and simply marked the spot with the GPS every time I took a picture. I synchronised the camera to the GPS clock so it was easy to check which photo was taken where, thereafter I just renamed the waypoints in mapsource for a little more clarity.

As for the track of the forest. I will e-mail it to you. I prefer not to publish it on the forum since it was an illegal activity

Thanks for the camera info LS.
Sorry about the route -  didn't mean to incriminate you!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Brink

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Confederate (all models)
  • Knob
Sharing singular soul with the masses :deal:

Thoroughly enjoyed tx :thumleft:

Awesome roads :ricky:
I know nothing but I can not prove it,,,,,

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
(Botlierskop prefers it that way as it stops people from using the road and viewing the game for free ;))
I suspected so
I got the distinct impression that they didn't really want people there, even though I didn't actually talk to anyone. It must annoy them that they can't close this public road and make people pay to use it >:D

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
(Botlierskop prefers it that way as it stops people from using the road and viewing the game for free ;))
I suspected so
I got the distinct impression that they didn't really want people there, even though I didn't actually talk to anyone. It must annoy them that they can't close this public road and make people pay to use it >:D

Yup.

They sometimes put up temporary "Road closed - Flood damage" sign. We ignore it and it seems someone made them take it away.

Their elephants sometimes roam free around there and once a guy from George came around the corner and found the cow and small calf in the road. He killed the engine, got off, turned the bike around and as he started it the cow stormed. He could not get away in time. The elephant trashed the bike while jumped over the fence into the camp.

The gate was open (obviously) and the cow went round, with him jumping to this side again. This went on for 15 minutes before the handler came to help him. :o

We happened on the same elephants a week later. We stopped and took pictures, blissfully unaware of what happened a week before.

Offline IRISH

• Race Dog
The best read of the week LS. Thank you

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • SDB Digital
Awesome.
Great pics. Great report.
Loved the song....

I'd like to use parts of this route as a return journey from Baviaans in Sept.
I may bug you for details.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog

Offline Wheelman

Thanks LS, nice RR. I'm going to have to find a way to immigrate to the Cape soon :thumleft:
A road to a friend’s house is never long!

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill

Oppad

Magnificent solo, thanks.

Offline Pote

Great RR I cannot believe some of the beautiful places we have here in this country so many places I have yet to explore, maar ek sal nog daar by uitkom “eendag” Beplan enige iemand dalk ‘n trip in die Karoo hierdie lente? 

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
Lekker report LS :thumleft:

Now I know what you do when you sit quietly smoking a lucky and staring into the distance..
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600

Offline growweblaar

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Somerset West
Awesome, LS  :thumleft:

Thanks for this: great RR and some truly great pics.

Offline fat b

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • BMW R 1150 GS ADVENTURE
Very nice RR ! You have a very poetic writing style , I like !  :thumleft:

THE CHALLENGE MAY NOT BE EASY , BUT IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE.
SO MANY PLACES, SO LITTLE TIME !

MOSSEL BAY

Offline Pickle

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Brilliant RR.  Time to plan a solo!!
I don't exaggerate, I just remember big!

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
Ag jinne LS, now you've given me a nice warm feeling inside, by taking me back to my kinderdae.  When we travelled all those (and many other) stofpaaie in my dad's Humber Super Snipe.  Usually on our way to some out-of-the-way fishing spot. The days when the road between Worcester and Du Toit's Kloof (past Rawsonville and Goudini) was still a single lane tar strip - in the unlikely case of meeting another car both would pull to the side with one wheel on the gravel and the other on the tar. That single, straight piece of tar was also a place for the manne to see how fast their cars could go.  I dimly remember a Dodge with houtspeekwiele that could make 100mph. (Thinking back, I suspect a few bottles of KWV 5 jaar might have been involved for anyone to believe that story!)
Ek sal laaik van n prentjie hier sit, maar is te f0kken onnosel...

Offline Fenderbender

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Robertson
Nice and complete Cyril . :thumleft:  Maybe next time we can have that drink . You really took some of the most amazing routes to get there and back . O yes , next time we want to hear that song aswell.

Offline cassiebotha

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLX 400SR
  • Olie misbruiker Ge-org Zuid Afrikak
Cyril baie dankie vir die facebook profile pic op jo bike! :thumleft:
Moes grootword, bike moes gaan
Moes in George werk soek want ek wil nie trek
Moes bike verkoop ding lek te veel olie