To Cathedral Peak and Back to Pta 30 Jul & 2 Aug 2010

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool Breeze

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
What a ride. Unfortunately things didn’t work out for us to do the “bad road” we planned to do as named by T4A. To little Daylight on the Friday and a Yamaha not behaving on Monday. But still some awesome roads! Best part of the ride definitely BEZUIDENHOUTS PASS!! And to make things even better, we found a great spot to camp out right at the top of this little gem of a pass. Can’t wait to take a tent there one day… Here is a photo or 2 of the spot… (I wonder who the land belongs to..?)
P1060206.jpg

P1060218.jpg

P1060211.jpg

The road down towards Bergville is a bit more technical than the road to the top from Harrismith’s side. Must say, I’m glad we went down on this side and not up. Great Fun! And the gravel road and scenery after the pass towards Bergville was LEKKER! When we got to the tar road we had to take the shortest and fastest route to Cathedral Peak – darkness was on us (this is where we missed out on the bad road…)
P1060228.jpg

P1060226.jpg

Ok, Let’s jump to Monday’s ride back to Pta… On Sunday Francois found out that he has bearing problems on his Yammi’s rear wheel. So Monday morning we had to go to Winterton to see if we can sort the Yammi out. People, if you ever have bike problems in this part of the world this is the place to go. We found a guy named Pierre at the workshop in Winterton who was more than willing to help (maybe because he’s got a Yamaha himself…) What a legend. This meant we didn’t have to take the boring road slowly back to pta, but that we could get back on the gravel roads asap! my day was made...
P1060280.jpg

P1060276.jpg

Next we headed to Geluksburg. Once again, lekker lekker roads with great scenery.  Geluksburg to Harrismith and from Harrismith towards Verkykerskop and Lunch on Vrede. By this time we were quite tired and decided to take the shortest route home on tar (yip, panzy!!) This is where the fun ended… tar roads with trucks, potholes and lots of cars. And we once again ran out of daylight (I blame it on the yammi issues ;) grappie fran! ) – Delmas road in the dark – NOT RECOMMENDED!
P1060291.jpg

P1060295.jpg