Falls in Sabie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OX

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
My wife is about to pop and here sister was up here from CT for the baby shower ..........perfect , when they are together my wife does know I'm home , so why be home ?
When I was with Enduro World, I went on the press launch of the 1200 GS up to the Sabie area. We camped at the Horse Shoe falls and it was awesome. So I called up my buddy Jason (Africa Twin) and the ball started rolling.
dsc04538dt1.jpg

We meet up at the Ultra city in Midrand and headed towards PTA east , hooking up with the railway line about 20 ks before Broken Horse Creek ( Bronhostspruit ).
dsc04539li1.jpg

Just after that town, we headed in the direction of Loose Head dam ( loskop ) by this time the temperatures were hitting the top of the thermometer , we stopped for the second time on a bridge for a snack
dsc04542kj6.jpg

, then carried on. Just a few Ks later Jason decided to aim for the biggest rock in the road and the AT suffered its first puncture , luckily we had one 19" tube and managed to stretch it over the 21" front wheel ,
dsc04545pm1.jpg

dsc04546pb4.jpg

changing a tube is hard work , but with full gear on the north of loose head , thing get sweaty. An hour later we were on the go again. We made our way to Macadoodorp straight for the trout and whiskey pub ,
dsc04548gs7.jpg

only to find they had no booze licence as it had expired. :( , we had great lunch and pressed on. The route I wanted to do went from capes hope ( Kaapsehoop ) to alkmaar , but we were stopped by an official , and not allowed to enter the forest. in my book , not allowed to actually means "find away around"
dsc04550uz9.jpg

dsc04549fm5.jpg

, so we did , a few Ks down the road there was a path which we followed but it just ended up back at the main road. Luckily a few Ks later there was an entrance to the forest and we proceeded , this was the best part of the ride , but we had to do it quickly and quietly as we were in restricted areas. Eventually we ended up in alkmaar and from there it was a nice dirt ride up to Sabie via Mayo pass. Once at the camp site we set up the tents
dsc04551eu4.jpg

and had a splash shower in the freezing waters of the waterfall. Jason?s rear tyre was now looking a bit pap , so we gave it one whole tyre fix aerosol
dsc04553to6.jpg

The some oak arrived on a hardly Davidson , complete with backup bakkie and trailer
dsc04557xg1.jpg

.Supper was pasta and sauce and chockies and of course a little Johnny Black. Luckily we had no light except the little head lamps , or else the little Johnny would have been a big Johnny and we went to be early.
dsc04558ph8.jpg

Our watch dog
dsc04559tl1.jpg

There is some thing awesome about the loud sound of water , the falls were a bout 60 meters away and the thundering sound through out the night made for a great nights sleep. Coffee and biscuits were pre breakfast snacks.
dsc04561gv4.jpg

We packed up and visited , the lone creek falls and the bridal veil falls in the area.
dsc04569ej3.jpg

dsc04586li4.jpg

dsc04590ji0.jpg

dsc04592rd3.jpg

The walk up the bridal veil is far but very worth it.
dsc04594bc3.jpg

dsc04596ql7.jpg

dsc04597wk9.jpg

Me pumping up the AT rear tyre
dsc04599hw7.jpg

We went into Sabie to re fuel and hit the Wimpy for breakfast.
dsc04601jd9.jpg

The ride back was also very lekker mixing tar and dirt most of the way
dsc04603pu8.jpg

dsc04604oh4.jpg

dsc04605zr6.jpg

until just past bapsfontien Jason?s front tire decided to give in again. One more aerosol and it made it almost to his house , apparently the last few Ks were a wobbly affairre !!!