Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Replacing my Klr with a Dakar. Should I ?  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Biesie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: Replacing my Klr with a Dakar. Should I ?
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2010, 02:04:33 pm »
On this very forum guys complained about the expensive/crazy service cost and repairs on the Rotax.

Smaak my jy het 'n diep liggende probleem met BMW eienaars in die algemeen  ::)

That aside, the BMW owner who services his out of warranty bike at BMW really needs to get his head checked. There are really good independant workshops out there  :thumleft:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2010, 02:19:39 pm »
On this very forum guys complained about the expensive/crazy service cost and repairs on the Rotax.

Smaak my jy het 'n diep liggende probleem met BMW eienaars in die algemeen  ::)

That aside, the BMW owner who services his out of warranty bike at BMW really needs to get his head checked. There are really good independant workshops out there  :thumleft:

Not at all…  :dousing:
As I said, the Rotax is one of the best machines ever but being BMW branded Ridiculously priced parts and service wise.  :o
An then it seems you get the ‘poser value’ included in the price…Exceptions like Michinus though who used it rightfully on trips like Angola.    :thumleft:
KLR is a Jeep and very capable. I am not defending KLR as such but ridiculous pricing. I think the last good BMW of the production lines were the 1150GS, a dream bike. Rotax was not a BMW machine, Aprillia used it too. However, as we know BMW done their research and chose the best engine and along came the high prices….

This is a open thread to give advice, the author will make up his own mind in the end!  :3some:

If you do your own cheap services…well good for you!  :thumleft:

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2010, 02:59:09 pm »

Smaak my jy het 'n diep liggende probleem met BMW eienaars in die algemeen  ::)

That aside, the BMW owner who services his out of warranty bike at BMW really needs to get his head checked. There are really good independant workshops out there  :thumleft:

Not at all…  :dousing:
As I said, the Rotax is one of the best machines ever but being BMW branded Ridiculously priced parts and service wise.  :o
An then it seems you get the ‘poser value’ included in the price…Exceptions like Michinus though who used it rightfully on trips like Angola.    :thumleft:
KLR is a Jeep and very capable. I am not defending KLR as such but ridiculous pricing. I think the last good BMW of the production lines were the 1150GS, a dream bike. Rotax was not a BMW machine, Aprillia used it too. However, as we know BMW done their research and chose the best engine and along came the high prices….

This is a open thread to give advice, the author will make up his own mind in the end!  :3some:

If you do your own cheap services…well good for you!  :thumleft:

Nee dis darem nie so erg nie. If you source parts they are much cheaper, a KLR flricker cost R500 a Dakar flicker just a bit less. Service is a oil filter/air filter and the rest are bearings you can source from Bearingman, same as a KLR. Even waterpumps are not that expensive and you get a service kit for less than R600 or something.

Rene the Canadian did 150000miles on his Dakar and only serviced the bike as per service schedule, look on HorizonsUnlimired and you will find as many Dakar's with high miles. Whether it's a Aprillia, China, Hillbilly motor I do not care, it's build well that's all that matters. Everybody throw the Dakar away and say the 1150ADV is thee bike, but the Dakar was also used on many a RTW trips as much as 1150's. You never hear of problems from these bikes, maybe that's why they are considered bland.  :)

In fact a reliable bike that can take you to places is more important, it's quite difficult to push a dead bike around Africa, then your super suspension won't help you. Looks, sex appeal and what not are last on the list. Fred's bike was swimming sea for a good 15min, picked it up and he still rode it to Lubango like that, that's what is important, on a D/S bike.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:02:48 pm by michnus »

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2010, 03:16:29 pm »
Well Said Michnus, I will take it from you in a good spirit but you must agree that BMW did gr8 by Sourcing the Rotax which is probably one of the best single cylinders ever build! I have a lot of respect for your okes who done the Angola trip on these bikes. A few designers faults made the service however more expensive.  I have once read but can’t recall the exact service part on the DAKAR which is hard to reach and ad labour. So if one can self-service its gr8!

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2010, 03:25:59 pm »
Well Said Michnus, I will take it from you in a good spirit but you must agree that BMW did gr8 by Sourcing the Rotax which is probably one of the best single cylinders ever build! I have a lot of respect for your okes who done the Angola trip on these bikes. A few designers faults made the service however more expensive.  I have once read but can’t recall the exact service part on the DAKAR which is hard to reach and ad labour. So if one can self-service its gr8!

TVB, make no mistake BMW SA rip the ass out off services, but that's more on labour and yes some parts. Ye I am also not sure which part you referring and can't think of a part that is difficult to reach, the bike can be stripped in under 10min. Setting the shims will take the most time, but still not 20mins to get to it.  :)

At least we do not need to spanners to take the seat off, unlike the KLR.  :pot: :biggrin:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2010, 03:33:04 pm »
There you have it Saddle up!

I guess I’m on the loosing side here, seems the Dakar is an upgrade  :3some: …just please put it to good use and don’t become another poser!   :deal:

:thumleft:

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2010, 03:42:41 pm »
There you have it Saddle up!

I guess I’m on the loosing side here, seems the Dakar is an upgrade  :3some: …just please put it to good use and don’t become another poser!   :deal:

:thumleft:

eish, maybe he must not buy a Dakar, you know how things work, we say it's a nja bike and then he buy's it and think it's donkey.  :biggrin:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2010, 04:27:28 pm »
Truly so!  :imaposer: