Ultra-light packing: Your tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacko

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
Those who know me, will attest that I'm a fully-paid up member of the leave-all-the-shit-at-home society.

This thread is not for those trying to convince me to travel with a frying pan, hubbly-bubbly or espresso maker. This is for tips on how to save weight. What equipment to scope out, what works and what doesn't. If you don't like traveling light then, whith all due respect, rather contribute somewhere else. Like, say, a thread where you can explain how you manage to strap your Laz-a-boy to the back of your Harley Electra Glide.

Many people are new to the hobby and maybe some of them can learn something here. Or get in touch with their inner-hobo. Or recoil in horror and stick to caravaning.  :biggrin:

Here's the opening salvo. See if you can better this or improve. I'm always willing to sharpen my arsenal.

Tent:
I swear by my Bushwacker II. It's cheap, small as hell and at R199 I won't shed a tear if it gets damaged. It's been treated with Nikwax and the seams glue-sealed. I've opted to rather spend my money on a good self-inflatable mattress and a CapeStorm Wasp goose-down bag.

Sleeping bag:
The CapeStorm Wasp is rated to 5 deg, but with some extra clothes you can temp sub-zero temps. It packs the same size as two bog rolls and weighs very little.

Pillow:
Here's where you gan go hardcore or go home. I either sleep on a rolled fleece jacket or softies can pack and empty pillow case and stuff it with other clothes.

Sleeping bag inner:
I bought some fleece at a shop in Parow and sewed meself a nice inner to increase my bag's cold rating even further. Cost me, what R50 and if I lose it then boohoo.

Clothes:
In summer I'd go for cotton short sleeves that stay moist and help with evaporative cooling. In winter technical material comes into its own. Two of each, depending on season. One on body, one being washed. One pair of shorts and one pair of tracksuit pants. I wear black Adidas tracksuit pants for that chav look and to maybe start breakdancing if the music moves me enough. Soft shell jacket - Best stuff since sliced bread. Soft shells block all wind and provide warmth and can be worn on their own, unlike your jacket's winter lining. Socks - Cape Union Mart ski socks. They're very comfy, dry quickly and cost less than "GS" socks. At a stretch in summer you can only take one pair. It will dry out enough overnight if you wash it early evening.
And a 4m piece of para-cord is a kief washing line.

Remember, it's about taking along the minimum, so you want versatile gear.

Tools:
Don't skimp on puncture repair stuff. At least 3 tyre levers and enough patches/snotwurms to sort out punctures. For inflation have a plan B. Compressor/bicycle pump with gas bombs. If one fucks out, you've got another plan to fall back on. Extra tubes are obligatory of you ride a tubed bike (I pity the fool).
I carry a few metres of simple flex wire for jump starting purposes.
A leatherman is worth its weight in gold - screwdriver, pliers, 2 screwdrivers, knife, etc all in one.
Spanners depend on your particular bike.
Q-bond - legendary glue.
Quick Steel - all Boxer riders should have it. Plugs holed tappet covers in no time.
Duct tape - need I say more? But take the small rolls.
Cable ties - At least two different sizes.

Food:
Don't be stupid and carry 4 days' food along. Buy every day or two. There are always little general dealers on the way. Pilchards in tomato sauce have never killed anyone. All-in-one coffee sachets make separate containers for coffee, sugar and coffee creamer obsolete, weight less and are discarded once finished.

Utensils:

Seeing that I have a Leatherman (okay and a nice, decent-size Victorinox lock-blade knife) I carry along a plastic 'Spork' (cross between spoon and fork).

Booze:
If you want to go remote, decant some slanggif into plastic bottles. I personally have a soft spot for Stroh Rum (80% proof - good power-to-weight ratio  :biggrin:). The opposite of this is insisting on riding along chilled Chardonnay or a fruity Chenin Blanc. Well put on a farking dress, I say.

Now let's hear how you save weight and effort.