Paranoid medical precations for SA...from Lonely Planets.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaqhama

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Super Sherpa
I mentioned this to Captain Slow and I think he got a good laugh from it, so I'll share it with the rest of you.

The Lonely Planet series of travel guides recommends the following medical innoculations for Sub Saharan Africa...
Hepatitus A and B. Diptheria booster. Anti-tetnus booster. Typhoid. Polio booster.
Anti-rabies shot. Malaria innoculations. Cholera.Yellow Fever. Dengue Fever.

If I was the paranoid hypocondriac sort I'd be freaking out by now. :shock:

It says for Rabies: vaccination should be considered by those spending a month or more in Africa.
Especially if they are cycling (why would cycling make a difference???) travelling to remote areas, (Define remote? are the Bavians remote) handling animals (must remember not to pat the lions) or caving.

Phew! For a minute there I thought you South African folk could be in trouble.
One can only assume you must all be superhuman to have managed to avoid all of the above...and I've left out the ones about infectious worms and river parasites and assorted bugs, ticks, leeches and stuff.

It tells you all the ways to buy bottled water and says to boil water...it doesn't tell you if you can drink water out of the tap in South Africa...or indeed how long to boil water.
(Captain Slow assured me we can drink the tap water.)

Some medical organisations reckon 3 minutes of boiling water makes it safe enough to drink.
The former British SAS survival instructor Lofty Wiseman says that's bullshit...he recommends 10 to 15 minutes of boiling.

Interesting...are you guys sure there's nothing you want to tell me? :lol: :lol: :lol: