Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KLR650 Restoration....Please help......and mods :)  (Read 29339 times)

Offline lecap

KLR650 Restoration....Please help......
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2007, 11:37:55 am »
Quote from: "KiLRoy"
I have owned 8 KLR's. Six KL650C and two KL650A.

Are you a dealer?  A-model only officially imported from end of 2003? C-model (European model) was the only official KLR in SA prior to that.  Not nearly as much info and aftermarket advice/mods available as with the A-model (US model).

Safety features - mine acted up a few times - mostly when I don't want it to - like in hot places or in the rain.  Most RTW riders disable the safety features - period - check all the sources.  What I do like about the internet is even if these statements are made, adult people can still CHOOSE to do it or not - now thats a great idea - CHOICE.

What mods did you make to your A-models, and which would you recommend in doing ?

H

www.lecap.co.za (My website in urgent need of updates)

Not  a dealer. I run a tour operation. I am also busy setting up a small business importing and fitting aftermarket goodies to KLR's and DR's
I also fix and service other peoples KLR's and DR's and have all the wear & tear and easy to break stuff on the shelf. (incl. Eagle levers)

The C never needed that much aftermarket help as the A. It came with better front brakes and stronger forks as standard. The European suspension manufacturers Hyperpro, Wilbers and WP never bothered to make aftermarket fork springs for the KL650C as the originals worked fine.

Done on the A's and recommended:
Eagle lever
rear subframe bolts (if bike is used heavily loaded and / or on very rough terrain)
15A main fuse
SS allen bolts in handlebar switch units & throttle cable housing. The Japanese nails (Philips screws) don't want to come out any more after some time.
The same modifications were also done on my C's.

I am busy researching suspension upgrades for the A (= ordered parts for a test)
Progressive fork springs to reduce sag and diving on brakes
Shorter and harder rear shock spring to reduce spring preload for better suspension response.
Both modifications will also reduce bottoming out of the suspension riding the bike hard on rough terrain.

I am researching the price of upgrading the KL650A with a KL650C twin piston brake caliper (rotor is the same).

There is a lot of small things to do besides what I did if someone wants to make the KLR a better bike. Starting from getting R-clips for the axle nuts to replacing the brittle sofitten - type fuses with blade type fuses in an easily acessible place.

For those who like to play very rough I think a solid bashplate and some form of radiator protection (ideally the USMC tank  :D  ) should be on the wishlist. - I never had crash damages to the waterpump and no destroyed radiators a crash bar would have saved.

I found the "temperature gauge" on the "A" to be utterly useless. The "C" has a little lamp which comes on a while before you have steam blowing out of your radiator cap telling you there's something wrong. Sufficient.
I never managed to overheat a KLR with a working fan.
The fan test as described by Oppad should be routine. It only takes three seconds and the fan fuses often break from vibration.

The A's fuel tap is c**p effectively preventing you to drain some petrol for your buddy with the smaller tank. You also can't drain through the tap but have to syphon in the workshop.
The tap of the C model is much better having the positions On - Prime - Res and can be fitted to the A's tank. Also allows the bike to start immediately on Prime after having run dry.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2007, 12:11:02 pm »
Quote from: "lecap"

I am busy researching suspension upgrades for the A (= ordered parts for a test)

I am researching the price of upgrading the KL650A with a KL650C twin piston brake caliper (rotor is the same).

Would the caliper from the KLE fit??  Possibly even the fork, not that you'd want to do that though...
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Online KiLRoy

• Kaptein Duiwel
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kaptein Duiwel - vriend van Beau Brummel
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2007, 02:01:21 pm »
Shorter and harder rear shock spring to reduce spring preload for better suspension response

One day i'll pop past your shop - i've done the Prog fork springs and fitted a stiffer rear spring - then you can check it out.

I've replaced most my bolts with ss allan keys too.  Use copper slip on front brake reservour.  Fitted a alu bashplate and HT res/rad protection etc etc

H

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2007, 02:23:51 pm »
Le Cap. Keep up the good work. :D  Respect.
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2007, 07:42:24 pm »
Good news, replaced the fuse and the fan is working. Used Oppad's fan test.
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2007, 07:47:14 pm »
Finished the service on the bike.

Replaced oil, oil filter and spark plug.

Cleaned airfiler and applied airfilter oil.

Filled up front and rear brake fluid tanks. I overfilled the rear a bit. Hope it doesn't do any damage.  :shock:
I must say the brake fluid in the system doesn't look very good. :shock:

Fixed the indecator housing.

Bike is running nicely. :D  Quite proud of myself. I must say maintenance on the KLR is quite easy and i could almost call it fun.

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2007, 07:54:45 pm »
I found a willing mechanic to repair the broken spoke on my rear wheel. He will also straighten the wheel for me. :D

Now only to get the bleddie spoke from the stealer.  :x  Now thats another story.

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2007, 04:18:48 am »
Quote from: "Captain Slow"

Filled up front and rear brake fluid tanks. I overfilled the rear a bit. Hope it doesn't do any damage.  :shock:

Bike is running nicely. :D  Quite proud of myself. I must say maintenance on the KLR is quite easy and i could almost call it fun.

If you've put too much in, simply get a clean rag, dip it in the fliud, the fluid will be absorbed into the rag.
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2007, 07:15:48 am »
Quote from: "Jaqhama"

If you've put too much in, simply get a clean rag, dip it in the fliud, the fluid will be absorbed into the rag.

Thanks for the advice Jaq. I'll go do that this afternoon. I must say the brakefluid currently in the system really doesn't look good. I looks like sour milk, with the pieces floating in it.  :shock:

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2007, 07:17:20 am »

Thanks for the advice Jaq. I'll go do that this afternoon. I must say the brakefluid currently in the system really doesn't look good. I looks like sour milk, with the pieces floating in it.  :shock:

You're going to have to replace that, BEFORE YOU RIDE IT!
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline lecap

« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2007, 08:01:25 am »

Nice, good brake fluid should be anywhere between clear (new) to yellow.
Brake fluid looking like strong tea (brown): It's old, replace it.

Sour milk with pieces floating in it  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
Are you sure it's brake fluid?
I've seen stuff like that in 20 year old bikes. The concept of the KLR being that age is no excuse  :D
You should get all that stuff out and then pump fresh brake fluid through the system until it's clean.

Make sure the diaphagms covering the fluid reservoirs are fitted properly and are not damaged.

BTW: You do NOT have to top up your brake fluid reservoirs as long as you did not work on the hydraulic system of the brakes.
The reservoir is designed to feed brake fluid to the pistons as your pad linings wear. You change brake fluid and top up when you fit new pads. As they wear your fluid level in the reservoir will slowly drop towards the min. mark.
As soon as you fit new pads it will be back to max. and you won't have fluid squirting out of the top of the reservoir when you reset the brake caliper piston(s)  :)
The fluid level will now also give you a rough (!) indication about the wear condition of your pads.

Don't run the bike with an overfilled reservoir. When you fit the diaphagm and lid you might put some pressure onto the system eating up the play petween pads and rotor. This will harden up your pads at the least and can cause your brake to overheat and fail at the worst.
An overfilled reservoir will also make it very difficult to get the wheel out and in again as you are not able to push the pistons into the caliper.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2007, 08:18:32 am »
Thanks for the info guys. Will definitely take some of the brake fluid out.

Actually i think i should replace all the brake fluid like Le Cap said.

Le Cap do you know where i could buy a manual for the bike?

I looked all over the place. Can't find one. Can only download one from the net but how good is it. The cost is R110.

Offline lecap

« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2007, 08:34:11 am »
Quote from: "InsiderDirtRider"
Quote from: "lecap"

Would the caliper from the KLE fit??  Possibly even the fork, not that you'd want to do that though...

The KLE's caliper is slightly different (the KL650C's Tokico caliper does not have the differential pistons to even out pad wear). I have not tried it but I think the KLE's caliper will fit just like many others from other Kawasakis.
You will just have to be careful with master cylinder & caliper piston diametres.

The KL650C fork fits into the KL650A from its basic measurements. I am not sure to what extent the C's upper triple clamp will accomodate the A's instrument cluster.
The KLE's fork looks very similar to the KL650C's but you will have to check for overall length, length and diametres of steering head and suspension travel.
Aftermarket fork springs are definitely the more economic solution.

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2007, 11:08:42 am »
Le Cap i see you also mention the 15A main fuse upgrade.

Isn't this a risky mod?

What happens when the fuse blows? I suppose you going nowhere. :shock:

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2007, 11:11:19 am »
I think the neck or stearing bearings on my bike needs adjustment or replacement.

Any tips?

I guess till i have my manual i aint gonna do much to these bearings.

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2007, 12:45:49 pm »
Jeezz this KLR650.net website has lots of info.

Looks likes lots of the guys have problems with the steering stem beerings and they adjust them. I think i should adjust mine. :D

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2007, 02:13:09 pm »

Looks likes lots of the guys have problems with the steering stem beerings and they adjust them. I think i should adjust mine. :D

By the time you're finished you'll be able to tell all of us about how to replace/repair pieces of KLR 650. :D

I can see it now www.klrhintsandtips.co.za :lol:  :lol:
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2007, 02:21:39 pm »

By the time you're finished you'll be able to tell all of us about how to replace/repair pieces of KLR 650. :D

I can see it now www.klrhintsandtips.co.za :lol:  :lol:

Yes Jaq. I'm hungry for knowledge. :D

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2007, 07:14:35 pm »
Removed the excess brake fluid but i really think i should drain that fluid. I'm gonna say this for the third time. Hell it doesn't look nice. I'm just waiting for my manual.

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2007, 07:16:51 pm »
I checked the shock air pressure.

0.8 Bar each side. Is this correct?