Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KLR650 Restoration....Please help......and mods :)  (Read 29265 times)

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
KLR650 Restoration....Please help......
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2007, 09:59:17 am »
Different models of bikes have different "safety" cut outs in regards to side stand and neutral.

Some bikes now won't even start in neutral with the stand down.
Some will start in nuetral with stand up, and will continue to run after starting with stand put back down. (My new Domi did this.)

It's why I remove the sidestand cut-out...I am used to starting the bike in neutral on a flat surface and letting the engine warm up, I just can't be bothered with the hassle of having a different procedure for each different bike.
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2007, 10:03:43 am »
Quote from: "Captain Slow"
Mr. Big. Clutch switch, what clutch switch? :shock:

Does a KLR have a clutch switch? If so what for? :D

Side-stand switches usually go hand-in-hand with clutch switches - to see whether the clutch is being depressed when starting in gear (so you can't start the bike in gear without having the clutch depressed)...or in some instances, will allow you to start the bike in gear with the stand out, and then cut out the engine when the clutch lever is released.

Triumphs have this silly thing where you HAVE to depress the clutch before the starter will work, regardless of side-stand or gear...  :?
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

shark_za

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2007, 10:06:15 am »
The KLR has a clutch and side stand switch that cuts out the starter circuit.

There is some logic sequence it uses, and the sidestand switch often messes with everything making it look the like the clutch switch.
Sometimes you have to "zero" the clutch switch to get it to start when in neutral.

I disabled my sidestand switch, I dont have one on my offroad bike and dont agree that its an essential safety mechanism.

Get on the bike, even in neutral pull the clutch once and release, press and it fires up.
ALWAYS.
With the sidestand switch it would mess up after a long days dirt riding.

Its better to start in neutral with or without clutch as the plates often stick and it labours the starter motor.

Offline KiLRoy

• Kaptein Duiwel
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kaptein Duiwel - vriend van Beau Brummel
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2007, 11:01:16 am »
Disabled both my switches - they old time I start they bike in gear just results in half meter lurge and a sqeezed asshole :D  

Jaq - would recommend fitting a Pro-Taper bar - about R450 and made of alu - bit higher too - helps a lot.  Maybe some clutch lever/hand protectors for the odd spill too.  I'll check the bike this weekend at Wino - maybe drain the fork oil and replace with a 10w oil - bit stiffer for 2-up riding.

H

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2007, 11:14:13 am »
Quote from: "KiLRoy"
would recommend fitting a Pro-Taper barH

How difficult is it to move grips and stuff over?  it was a BITCH to remove my KDXs grips!!!
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2007, 11:18:35 am »
Disabled both my switches - they old time I start they bike in gear just results in half meter lurge and a sqeezed asshole :D  

Jaq - would recommend fitting a Pro-Taper bar - about R450 and made of alu - bit higher too - helps a lot.  Maybe some clutch lever/hand protectors for the odd spill too.  I'll check the bike this weekend at Wino - maybe drain the fork oil and replace with a 10w oil - bit stiffer for 2-up riding.

H

I think i should put 10W in mine too.  :D
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2007, 11:58:46 am »
Quote from: "InsiderDirtRider"
How difficult is it to move grips and stuff over?  it was a BITCH to remove my KDXs grips!!!

Get new grips! I already have new green gel grips to go with the Pro tapers when I eventually get them.
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2007, 01:32:21 pm »
Okay i tightened the big number 27 nut under the handle bars. Hell it was very loose. :shock:

The four alan cap screws that holds the hasdlebars in place were also loose. :shock:

I'll have to go through the bike properly this weekend who knows what else is loose. :shock:
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

Offline lecap

KLR safety features
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2007, 03:36:37 pm »
Running the risk to get called a &(%$$%$/($%(% but sometimes it's really tiring to listen to the unqualified advice of hobby mechanics.

Never disable safety features without thinking twice!

The KLR side stand switch will cut out the engine if you put the bike into gear, release the clutch and your side stand is down.
I grew up in the time when Hondas had a little rubber mounted on the side stand which was supposed to push the side stand in if you tried to corner on it. The rubbers wore and tore quickly.
I saw lots of toasties and a number of thrashed bikes.
After they got sued a couple of times I saw Honda replacing all their old side stands with silly automatically retracting ones. Free of charge.

Since then every bike comes with a side stand switch.

The little trouble the KLR side stand switch can give is easily cured, takes one minute with a phillips screwdriver on the side of the road. See my post above.
Keep the cable in good working order and you will never have trouble.

The clutch switch is a different story. It will cut the connection from the start button to the starter solenoid if you are in gear unless you pull the clutch.
The clutch switch gives trouble without ends as it seems to have a build in dust magnet.
There is an easy way to cure the problem:
You can disassemble, clean, assemble and adjust the little bugger every few days of riding. Takes two minutes.
If the trouble starts during a day of riding you put the bike into neutral, press and hold the starter button and wiggle the clutch lever until you find a position where the switch closes (there is always one).

You can bridge the clutch switch allowing the bike only to start in neutral. It will then cut out immediately if you put it into gear with the side stand down.

If you tamper with the clutch switch bridging it completely or if you disable the side stand switch you will be able to ride the bike with its side stand town and thus be able to kill yourself.

Have fun!
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline lecap

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2007, 03:45:42 pm »
Maybe I should write a post about suspension tuning?

Heavier fork oil does NOT sort out a soft front end.
It only turns a undersprung front end into an undersprung and overdampened front end. (Which is worse)

You can increase the spring preload with spacers. Note that this does not make a spring harder!!!
You can add air (if your forks allow) which adds preload and a little bit of progression.
You can add oil which adds a lot of progression.

All three measures have their limits. Too much spring preload will damage your springs and too much air or oil will pop your fork seals.

The way to go is to throw your fork springs away and get decent ones.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2007, 03:49:46 pm »
Thanks for the info Le Cap.

I won't disable my switches as they are there for a reason and if the bike won't start now i know where to look.

I checked my side stand switch and cable it seems to be working right.

The clutch switch.... Where is it located?
I wanna have a look at it.

Offline lecap

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2007, 08:41:18 am »
The clutch switch sits underneath the clutch lever assembly on the handlebar. It's bolted onto the assembly with two small phillips screws. If you loosen the screws a turn you can adjust the position of the switch (which often sorts out problems).
Be careful when you take it off as there is a little slider and a spring inside. They usualy stay in place but love to disappear into nowhere on grassy camp sites, graveled driveways or in messy garages :-)

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2007, 09:20:57 am »
Quote from: "lecap"
The clutch switch sits underneath the clutch lever assembly on the handlebar. It's bolted onto the assembly with two small phillips screws. If you loosen the screws a turn you can adjust the position of the switch (which often sorts out problems).
Be careful when you take it off as there is a little slider and a spring inside. They usualy stay in place but love to disappear into nowhere on grassy camp sites, graveled driveways or in messy garages :-)

Ahhh found it. I think all my switches are actually working. I just got paranoid when the bike wouldn't start. It starts fine now.  :D

Offline El Zeffo

• The white powder King
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2007, 09:46:11 am »
First day with the KLR.

Notice the Suzuki Jacket.

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2007, 09:56:05 am »
aha, the jacket....
explains the nick - captain slow  :D

D7

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2007, 10:05:04 am »
now remember keptin

it aint purdy till it's dirty!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline FreeFlight

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2007, 10:25:41 am »
Hi Cap,

Visit www.klr650.marknet.us
This guy has done a lot of maintenance articles on the KLR, I do all my own maintenance after the stealer did absolutely nothing on my bike when it went in for its service. Came back to me with a loose steering and vavle clearence on the inlets that was below spec!

Loctite..... I use contact adhesive on most of the bolts\screws, keeps them in and you don't struggle or strip their heads when you have to take them out again. Use loctite only on the engine bolts, cause you don't remove them that often.

I would also take the rear suspension apart and grease the whole thing, if you do this you can easily remove the chain to replace\clean.
oesn't take a rocket scientist, just enough gun powder

Ride to Live, Live to Ride
Climb High, Fly Far
Narc  Kawa KLR 650 WW Fusion 150 Aqualung Titan

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2007, 11:26:13 am »

H

It should have 10 weight in it already yeah?

But I encourage changing it..makes a big difference.
You should have seen the prehistoric tar substance that came out of the forks on my Domi when I first bought it. :shock:

15 weight is too heavy.

My KLR already has plastic brush protectors yes?
They'll do.
I'll just take a spare clutch lever with me. :D
Standard handlebars suit me, changing the handlebars isn't going to make me a better rider. :lol:

Thanks very much for going over to Wino's and doing a few things to the bike mate.
I am much obliged.
I will need a bracket to keep my new nylon saddlebags off the right side muffler.

Cheers: Jaq.

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
Re: KLR safety features
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2007, 12:08:44 pm »
Quote from: lecap
Running the risk to get called a &(%$$%$/($%(% but sometimes it's really tiring to listen to the unqualified advice of hobby mechanics.

Meaning that one should only listen to and take the advice of a 100% trained, certified, licenced motorcycle mechanic?
As opposed to riders who have lived and breathed bikes all their lives and know their own bikes inside and out?
They just don't happen to have a bit of paper which says they are qualified?

Never disable safety features without thinking twice!

I agree, one should always consider the results of ones actions.

Since then every bike comes with a side stand switch.

Not so...I just bought a brand new DT 175 Yamaha...kickstart only, no side stand cut out switch.
Did you mean every Honda or every bike with auto-start?

If you tamper with the clutch switch bridging it completely or if you disable the side stand switch you will be able to ride the bike with its side stand town and thus be able to kill yourself.

There are hundreds of thousands of riders all over the world riding older model bikes that did not come with a side stand switch.
Few of my bikes have ever had the side stand switch.

I guess older riders or riders of older machines must just be smarter huh?
They can remember to flick up the side-stand before they take off.
:roll:

And before everyone younger than guys like me and KilRoy and Shark have a huge panic about leaving the side-stand down...9 times out of 10 it will hit the ground and flick up anyway if you've forgoten to put it up.
A bike moves forwards...the side stand moves backwards.
Some hobby mechanic must have thought of that years ago.
:D
You will also hear a rather odd scraping noise...which usually alerts one to the fact that one has  been remiss in one's stand-flicking -up-duties.

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2007, 12:49:10 pm »
Quote from: "lecap"
Maybe I should write a post about suspension tuning?

Heavier fork oil does NOT sort out a soft front end.
It only turns a undersprung front end into an undersprung and overdampened front end. (Which is worse)

You can increase the spring preload with spacers. Note that this does not make a spring harder!!!
You can add air (if your forks allow) which adds preload and a little bit of progression.
You can add oil which adds a lot of progression.

All three measures have their limits. Too much spring preload will damage your springs and too much air or oil will pop your fork seals.

The way to go is to throw your fork springs away and get decent ones.

Well I don't disagree with any of the above.
But I do look at the last statement in a different way...

You mean the bike manufacturers don't put decent fork springs in their bikes to begin with?

And that one should straight away go out and purchase expensive aftermarket springs?

Look, lets be honest here yeah...for the majority of riders who are not professional, or even gifted amateur riders, the springs that come as standard with the majority of trail bikes (and even most road bikes) are perfectly fine.

Now as most people here ride what we're starting to term "adventure bikes" I don't believe that they need anything more than the normal fork springs in their bikes...unless A: They have ridden thousands of kilometers of rough roads and the springs are just completly buggered.
B: they ride hard and fast over rough terrain constantly and due to the speed and road/trail conditions the forks that come as standard just aren't coping with the abuse.

If the latter is the case then I would suggest that they should be looking at a hardcore off road bike instead of an adventure tourer in the first place.