Die Stofkoei does Breedt's Nek

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miena Moo

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
After only spending 5 days on holiday me and Groenie decided to go riding on Thursday.With our new GPS we plotted a route of 266km with 150km being dirt.

Anelle047.jpg

I was a little nervous as I had about 400km total riding experience, with most being on tar.But I have to hit the dirt road sooner than later.Our normal alarm clock(THE TWINS) however decided to sleep in and we left the house only at 8h30 all geared up.

ATGATT in this weather is murder and I fully understand why Rossi and the rest of the boys walk funny as this was my first time wearing a riding pants.Boy its uncomfortable.

Anelle053.jpg

We hit our first dirt road which I have done before .

Anelle044.jpg

and made a pit stop near Harties to fill up the camelback and the KLR.I didn't, thinking I had enough juice for the trip. :oops:

Anelle046.jpg

We took the Hartbeeshoek road and turned off into the Skeerpoort road.Made a quick pitstop to deflate the tyres.This made the bike handle a lot easier than before.

We then turned onto the R560 for a short piece of tar and turned into the mielie fields for some real dirt.The fields were being watered and the mud for the first bit made it a little tricky.At least the Stofkoei now has some mud on her.

This piece I found to be quite easy and practiced standing and reached speeds up to 80km/h.

Anelle049.jpg

Groenie was given free reins and he blasted ahead waiting for me just before the more technical sections.

One of many smoke breaks.

Anelle051.jpg

It was slow going and we took about 2 hours to do the first 50km from our house.We made regular stops and shade was difficult to find.

Anelle052.jpg

We stopped at a road side bottlestore to get some frosties before tackling Breedt's Nek.I was getting very nervous after seeing this sign.

Anelle054.jpg

Then it got scary.At some parts I found myself gearing down to second with the rear wheel bouncing around and loosing grip.Finally the top :cheers:

What a view.

Anelle061.jpg

I now understood why my husband spent Sundays on his bike.
We had a beer and spend some time walking around enjoying the view and my achievement.

Anelle057.jpg

We were joined by two unknown Wilddog forum members.

Anelle059.jpg

We forgot to ask their names as we shared routes.They recognized Groenies head atire.

Anelle058.jpg

We went down and turned onto the tar to go past the Olifantshek dam and turned onto dirt again at the Vlakdrift turn off.

Another smoke break.

Anelle063.jpg

Anelle064.jpg

This was a very nice road, loose gravel and some very tricky corners to wake Groenie up every time he went too fast.Gave me some time to catch up. Very scenic road.

This is where my petrol light came on and I became a very worried Wilddog. :oops:
I managed to get Groenie's attention and he told me that we should be able to get some fuel about 5km down the road.

Stopped to take a pic of a Blesbok

Anelle065.jpg

and a little further the clouds was telling Groenie he was getting hungry.

Anelle067.jpg

When we finally got to the garage they were fresh out of unleaded petrol.This meant we had to cut 30km of dirt from our route and head straight for Magaliesburg.

After filling up and getting some air in the tyres again we haeded for my uncle's smallholding were we had lunch.It was getting time to pick up the little one from school so we took the N14 home.Some more experience gained as this was my first time on the highway.(BOOORRRRINGGGG)

Nearly got taken out by a cage and Groenie chased after her to try and take her mirror.But she was to fast and No he wasn't only doing a 100km/h but

Anelle097.jpg

Groenie says: See a KLR can go more than 100km/h.

Great day and some great dirt.:!: