Beware of Bikes for Sale on Bumtree!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icemann

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
This morning I saw an add for a Dakki 2006 model with 4200 km @R28999! on Gumtree. The add looked a bit suspect and the picture was from a pre-facelift (-2004) bike. When I phoned the number the dude on the other side sounded like a Nigerian (Wah!), but he said (in English) that because he can't speak English I must phone his AGENT in Cape Town. I did that and spoke to a Guy named Ray 0791798387 (with an American Accent!) - told me the bike is with him.
I told him it doesn't look like a 2006 model - he phoned back and confirmed that it is 2003.
(Still I stayed suspicious)
I told the guy that I will get Jan (BMW Courier) to fetch the bike, he will check out the paperwork, I do the transfer, and he load the bike. Ray got itchy and asked me to pay a deposit  ??? I told him nicely that that is not wise without me seeing at least a scan of the reg. certificate.  :deal: He said he will phone back with the details....
When I phoned back this afternoon he said the owner is not interested in the deal anymore!!! ???

My only conclusion: SCAM! BEWARE, WD's