Badplaas - Feb 2007

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
As I was coming toward the incline, I realized this can get nasty, so I shifted down to 2?nd and gassed the bike just a wee bit to keep my momentum going. I had grown accustomed in the past to the jolting and jumping of the front end as one climbs up these type of rocky sections, with sand in between, but Honey was as stable as she had ever been. Man this damper was a great investment???As soon as I reached the top I stopped and pulled out my camera, cause I could see a Kodak moment coming. Wait I?m getting carried away here ? let me start from the beginning :roll:

Regular visitors to the Upcoming trips would have noticed the thread Ufudo started about the One Night Stand he had planned to Badplaas. The problem with these kinda weekends is that you look forwards to them so much and then before you can say ?Hell it was a great weekend?, it?s all over and all that is left is lotsa pictures and some fond memories. We met at 07:30 on Saturday morning at Bapsforntein, but were a few minutes late. Ask no questions and hear no lies :?

Badplaas1.jpg

Soon we were off and when we got to the Engen at Bapsfontein we had assembles 15 bikes in total. Very nice turnout indeed. We left at around 8?ish and headed east ? general direction of Badplaas.

Badplaas2.jpg

Badplaas3.jpg

First stop was in Bethal at the Groen Koei where we ate breakfast. Lovely place with excellent value for money food.
Badplaas4.jpg

Badplaas5.jpg

Badplaas6.jpg

Excalibur sporting his new tube???
Badplaas7.jpg

ARR wondering what the hell he?s got himself in to? :lol:
Badplaas8.jpg

Badplaas9.jpg

From there we headed towards Chrissiesmeer, where we took some photo?s right by the waterside, and then headed off to find a cold beer!

Badplaas10.jpg

Badplaas11.jpg

Badplaas12.jpg

Badplaas13.jpg

Badplaas14.jpg

I knew we had found the right place when the owner cam out sporting a Teazers cap :D

Badplaas15.jpg

We had a cold one and then headed off towards Badplaas.
Badplaas16.jpg

Badplaas17.jpg

Badplaas18.jpg

Upon our arrival we checked in, R45 per person camping, and before you could say ?Where?s my Gifkan??, our tents were up and we were having a cold one.

Badplaas19.jpg

Larrysleguana didn?t have any space in his panniers, so this is how he carried his meat from the butchery to our camping spot :lol:

Badplaas20.jpg

Badplaas21.jpg

Badplaas22.jpg

Badplaas23.jpg

Badplaas24.jpg

Some of us set out to swim, while the rest started on the cold stuff.
I?m pleased to report that only two souls didn?t quite understand what a Rooiwyn and Rib evening meant, but the rest of us grilled some awesome ribs. Fun was had by all.

Sunday morning saw us up at the crack of dawn, but we only got underway after 9.

Derick couldn?t find his meat last night, so he had to prepare it this morning alla Dixie style?
Badplaas25.jpg

Badplaas29.jpg

Badplaas30.jpg

Badplaas26.jpg

Suitably partitioned ? the okes from the Africa Twin club ? :D :D

Badplaas27.jpg

ARR sporting his early morning coffee :D

Badplaas28.jpg

??and wondering what the hell is happening??? :?

Badplaas31.jpg

Hein sporting his crocks and ???

Badplaas32.jpg

ARR and Zonkel wondering what?s curring? :shock:

Badplaas33.jpg

For no apparent reason everybody was a bit slow. After we had juiced up we headed for the mountains overlooking Badplaas.

Badplaas34.jpg

Badplaas35.jpg

Badplaas36.jpg

Badplaas37.jpg

Badplaas38.jpg

Getting access to the viewpoint ?.

Badplaas39.jpg

Badplaas40.jpg

Nice little technical ride amongst some breathtaking scenery.

Badplaas53.jpg

I was the navigator and as we were making our way up the mountain, I noticed a rather technical section. Quite rocky, with some sandy patches in between. As I was coming toward the incline, I realized this can get nasty, so I shifted down to 2?nd and gassed the bike just a wee bit to keep my momentum going. I had grown accustomed in the past to the jolting and jumping of the front end as one climbs up these rocky sections, with sand in between, but Honey was as stable as she had ever been. Man this damper was a great investment???As soon as I reached the top I stopped and pulled out my camera, cause I could see a Kodak moment coming.I getting carried away here. As I got my camera out, Zonkelnut came past me, se he won?t be in the shot.

Badplaas52.jpg

Next was Excalibur, and although he had a scary moment, he managed to get up there unscathed.
Badplaas54.jpg

Chris and Leonie

Badplaas55.jpg

More and more bikes were coming, so I had to get out the way. Two Beemers lost their way, with the one turning completely upside down, and the other just fell. Sorry only video clips of this!!!! One KTM rider also lost his way, but although they all had a slight limp, nobody was seriously injured. Eventually we found our way to the edge of the cliff and overlooked Badplaas from the top of the mountain.

ARR was so impressed with the scenery, he promply decided to buy some real estate :roll:

Badplaas41.jpg

Riding through the plantation was rather difficult as they cut trees across the roads ? seemingly to prevent people like us to ride around freely.
Badplaas42.jpg

Badplaas43.jpg

Badplaas44.jpg

ARR enjoying the scenery

Badplaas45.jpg

Badplaas46.jpg

Cheese and wine stop?. :lol: :lol:

Badplaas47.jpg

Badplaas48.jpg

Badplaas49.jpg

Badplaas50.jpg

Badplaas51.jpg

We lost quite a bit of time with some getting lost, so when we eventually got to Carolina, some of the guys had to head back at good speed, while the rest of us ducked to the Wimpy for a well deserved lunch.
Badplaas56.jpg

Badplaas57.jpg

Badplaas58.jpg

Hein and his ingenuous invention to keep his earphones in his ears

Badplaas59.jpg

After lunch we didn?t waste any time either, so hit the road and made good speed. As we travelled, some okes opted to take the toll road, while the rest all went their separate ways.

So now I sit at home, had a moerse lekker time, and all sad that it had to end! Thanks to all that joined. ARR first ride with our Gautengers, hopefully you didn?t get to big a fright from these hooligans. Was great having you along. To All that were there ? thanks I certainly had a great time. Please lets do this more often .

???and Honey never missed a beat. Here she is before the start of the weekend

Badplaas.jpg

8)