Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Road bikes vs. D Sports in the traffic  (Read 1565 times)

Offline accton

Road bikes vs. D Sports in the traffic
« on: January 27, 2006, 08:34:07 am »
This morning on my way to work I get this dude on a Suzuki screaming past me at atleast 170 Km, I was doing about 160 km on the N2 from Somerset west. Dam but those bikes are fast on the straight open road, but then we hit a little bit of traffic and I was stuck behind this dude that seems to not be able control his throttle properly, there is huge gaps between the cars some even move out of the way for the Dude, but no he sits and waits that the gap open up to the size of Kimberly se Gat before he goes screaming past the by now single car and no other traffic, this happens a few times, with me having to sit behind him wanting to pass. What is it with these road bikes, wait let me rather say what is it with it seems most Suzuki road bike riders, thy like blits on the open road, but seem to fold when there is a little traffic around them.

After about 10 min of heavy traffic he got the message that I want to pass and he moved over HooooHaaaa eventually I can get to work.

The moral of the story, DUAL SPORT BIKES RULE IN THE TRAFFIC
LONG LIVE DUAL SPORT BIKES.
hat you believe will depend very much on what you are.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Re: Road bikes vs. D Sports in the traffic
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 08:41:41 am »
Quote from: "accton"
The moral of the story, DUAL SPORT BIKES RULE IN THE TRAFFIC
LONG LIVE DUAL SPORT BIKES.

I think there may have been something technically wrong with the bike or perhaps the rider was a n00b.
Superbikers are a lot easier to ride through traffic than my 12GS - the thing it simply too big to lane split sometimes.
...of course, the GS is comfy enough to spend entire weeks in traffic without complaint whereas your wrists get chowed on a SB

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 09:06:30 am »
Most probably a nOOb. Being one myself, I also wait for Kimberley's Gat to appear before going. :oops:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline >Herman<

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
Re: Road bikes vs. D Sports in the traffic
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 09:50:49 am »
Quote from: "accton"
I was doing about 160 km on the N2 from Somerset west.

Jou jaag duiwel  :twisted:  :twisted:

But I think that all can go fast in a straight line, but in traffic & twisites, the real experience tells. Thus I conclude that maybe he is still learning :roll:  :wink:

Offline toucan

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 10:01:39 am »
and on a dual sport you can see further ahead because you are higher.
i'm not a complete idiot. some parts are missing.

Oppad

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 10:26:03 am »
Quote from: "toucan"
and on a dual sport you can see further ahead because you are higher.

Agreed, I think a ds gives you more confidence in traffic as you can see a lot further,  there's torque across the rev range (you don't have to wind it up to slip into a gap), balance is usually good and (apart from LS's wide monster) theyre usually thinner with the bars passing over the mirrors of most cars. (Two 4x4's running in parallel lanes can be a bliksem though. Somewhere, someone has decreed that their mirrors should be on the exact same level as those of the KLR)

I would not like to sit in a low boy racer or Harley style reclining position in traffic.

shark_za

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 10:33:00 am »
I find the bars and mirrors clear cars easily, but hit SUV mirrors directly on.

In traffic I can probably balance the bike for one whole cycle of a traffic light, try do that on a superbike.

Offline accton

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 10:59:56 am »
LS is it the bike or is it you that is too wide. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol

I think the dude was a little bit of a noob.
His jacket looked used, like he fell allot
hat you believe will depend very much on what you are.

Offline Lootch67

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 01:19:31 pm »
Agreed, the guy was probably a n00b. Having said that, I did find it easier to lane split on my TDM than on the AT, although the TDM isn't exactly an R6. Mostly it's down to the rider me finks.
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 01:55:17 pm »
Shark, you can balance your bike at pure standstill for a full traffic light cycle? without feet on the ground obviously? :shock:
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 12:42:17 pm »
Personally it's the rider, lane splitting in London is more common than actually riding in your lane with a bike. I never had problem with either my GS or Africa Twin in the traffic and normally bargain on the theory if the handlebars made it I am ok :lol:

What really pisses me off is guys on RT's, Pan Europeans etc that hog the freakin centre where you want to go through. Now I know as good as the next person a RT can probably do better lane splitting than my Africa Twin.

A few months ago thought I got stuck behind a dude on his harley. The moment he realised I was behind him he opened up and could not catch the guy again :shock: I give him credit he sure knew how to ride a harley 8)
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

shark_za

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 08:52:02 pm »
I will do it, as long as I have a meter or two to use, total standstill is impossible, but if I can edge forward when I lose balance I can do it over a minute. Did it at Jean Avenue the other day, must go time that robot ;)

Offline Excalibur

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 11:40:38 am »
No problem with my 1200GS during lane splitting. Have got handle bar raisers on and it makes life much easier.

Online KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 02:42:20 pm »
I find it difficult to lane split between GSs with my Toyota  :roll:  :lol:

H