22 August - Mfolozi ride.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicco

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Did our monthly Richards bay ride this morning to the Mfolozi river and Bird park.
Chicco, Winston, Cane Rat, Lady Rat, Raymond and a newbie (sorry cant remember his name...)
KTM 990, KLR, BMW 650, Tenere 660 new and a Tenere 660 old.
The route was a bit muddy in the beginning due to some rain over the weekend but by 09h00 we were over the worst and we followed a new route towards the Mfolozi game reserve. I never tried this route before because it ends just before the game reserve and you either have to turn around or make your own way for about 2km towards the river. It took us about 30 min to maneuver our way between thorn trees, long grass and wash aways to eventually get down into the river bed.
Some of us decided it would be much safer to paddle the bikes through the thick sand to the other side of the river and some of us opted to do it Dakar style, full taps all the way.... :mwink:
Only when we re grouped on the other side we noticed that we were one man short, Winston was gone. We eventually saw him waving his red shirt on the other side of the river, he was at the back and his trusted KLR just died on him. I got back into the river and made my way to the other side, the bank on the other side was quite steep with thick sand with I had to push old Katie into her rev limiter to get out on the other side. By the time I got to Winston half of his KLR was already stripped, It took us about 10 minutes to find the fault, blown fuse, we changed it but it blew again about 20km later after breakfast. After the 3 rd fuse he gave up, parked his bike and waited for Raymond to go and get the trailer in Richards Bay, thanks guys (and girl) for the nice outing, I've already started planning the next one.......

Attachments

• IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG